Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile text messages

I hate the damn things and rarely use them, but what are the practicals
of using them please?...

I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery
receipt, or maybe confirmation of delivery. Not seen a phone with the
feature since.

Out in the sticks at the moment, with a poor to none mobile signal, she
is sending questions by text and text answers which don't match the
questions.

If the phone gets 'text sent' rather than 'unable to send' - does that
mean the text is on the network and will remain on the network until
delivered? Getting delivered the next time the target phone appears on
the network?

Do text messages time out if undelivered for a period of time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:03:05 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I hate the damn things and rarely use them, but what are the practicals
of using them please?...

I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery
receipt, or maybe confirmation of delivery. Not seen a phone with the
feature since.

Out in the sticks at the moment, with a poor to none mobile signal, she
is sending questions by text and text answers which don't match the
questions.

If the phone gets 'text sent' rather than 'unable to send' - does that
mean the text is on the network and will remain on the network until
delivered? Getting delivered the next time the target phone appears on
the network?

Do text messages time out if undelivered for a period of time?

Where are each of you? Both in the UK? I'm another with mobile phone
phobia but have to use one from time to time. I've generally found
that, provided both parties are in the UK and the messages actually
got recorded as "sent" they will arrive eventually. On the other hand,
my experience of messages sent across international boundaries has not
been so encouraging.

Good luck.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:03:05 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery
receipt, or maybe confirmation of delivery. Not seen a phone with the
feature since.

It's still there but probably buried in a "user friendly menu
system".

If the phone gets 'text sent' rather than 'unable to send' - does that
mean the text is on the network and will remain on the network until
delivered?

Yes, if you get sent it's on its way but see the answer to your last
question.

Getting delivered the next time the target phone appears on the network?

Yep, though it can some times take a while before they are delivered.
"a while" being anything from a few minutes to hours. Daughter used
to be on Tesco Mobile and texts to Orange could take hours to get
through even with phones in good siganl areas. Strangely she is now
on O2 (who are the network used by Tesco Mobile) and there are no
significant delays.

Do text messages time out if undelivered for a period of time?

Yes, I think the default is seven days. There may be an option in the
"user friendly menu system" to set this.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
I hate the damn things and rarely use them,

They are very useful for some things, particularly stuff
that is better done in writing so you have a record of it
like an address etc, or where you don't have to actually
need any feedback from the other person and don't
need to worry about when they are likely to answer
etc. Not everyone checks their voicemail reliably.

They do have real downsides with dinosaurs tho,
many of those don't know how to read a text
message but can usually answer the phone.

but what are the practicals
of using them please?...

I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery receipt,
or maybe confirmation of delivery. Not seen a phone with the feature
since.

It was never something that worked very reliable anyway.

Out in the sticks at the moment, with a poor to none mobile signal,

Yeah, that is one situation where it can be quite useful.

she
is sending questions by text and text answers which don't match the
questions.

That can be a real problem with some people, they find it
hard to keep track of where they are up to with multiple texts.

If the phone gets 'text sent' rather than 'unable to send' - does that
mean the text is on the network and will remain on the network until
delivered?

No, that the network has it.

Getting delivered the next time the target phone appears on the network?

Usually but not if it doesn't appear on the network for long enough
in which case it will be discarded. For long enough is days tho.

Do text messages time out if undelivered for a period of time?

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Chance submitted this idea :

[...]

Thanks ALL...

Yes both are in the UK. One belongs to a deaf person, a neighbour whom
we asked to water the plants outside, whilst we were away for a couple
of weeks. We texted a couple of times, obviously no good ringing, to
ask if the house was OK and the replies were - well, er not replies to
the question asked, nothing at all to do with what was asked.

Anyway just got back and all is fine, including the plants

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes both are in the UK. One belongs to a deaf person, a neighbour whom
we asked to water the plants outside, whilst we were away for a couple
of weeks. We texted a couple of times, obviously no good ringing, to
ask if the house was OK and the replies were - well, er not replies to
the question asked, nothing at all to do with what was asked.

Anyway just got back and all is fine, including the plants

Glad to hear it.

Reminds me of some years ago, trying to have a text conversation
with a friend spending time in Moscow. Texts would sometimes
arrive in random order, with occasional ones not appearing until
the following day.

It was much the same with snail mail - a set of letters written
over a period of weeks all arrived here in the same post.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.