Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car door lock suddenly noisy

One of the door locks on my Nissan Note has started producing a sort of
mechanical whirring sound when I lock it with the key-remote; the actual
locking (and unlocking) still works perfectly. Presumably something about
the solenoid has changed, but is it likely to be a serious fault which might
escalate, or can I safely leave it to be looked at when the car next needs a
general service?

Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
One of the door locks on my Nissan Note has started producing a sort of
mechanical whirring sound when I lock it with the key-remote; the actual
locking (and unlocking) still works perfectly. Presumably something
about the solenoid has changed, but is it likely to be a serious fault
which might escalate, or can I safely leave it to be looked at when the
car next needs a general service?

They are generally motors, not solenoids. With a mechanical gearbox which
produces the push pull. One polarity push, reverse it, pull. Controlled by
a central timer - the motors merely stall at the end of their travel until
the timer cuts the feed. I'd guess a motor rather than solenoid is more
efficient and smaller. Maybe even cheaper to make.

They are usually pretty cheap and nasty units with plastic gears which can
strip etc. Normally just replaced if faulty.

If the maker's part is stupidly expensive as they often are, it may be
possible to fit a generic one.

The system on my old Rover is notoriously unreliable as they get older. My
guess being the motors loose power with age. And NOS are no better. I
found a similar new generic on Ebay for 12 quid which can be persuaded to
fit with minor mods - and it has over 3 times the 'pull' of the standard
unit. Works a treat. ;-)

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've now discovered that this is a known fault, with a fairly easy if fiddly
DIY fix:

http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/foru...topic2021.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave, many thanks for that. Your post overlapped with my message saying
that I've found the solution: apparently, a small pin which is part of the
child lock mechanism is known to come slightly adrift: pushing it back into
place fixes the problem. Mind you, I haven't actually tried it yet...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Blimey, would one not have expected it to detect the stall current?
Besides there are loads of gadgets, mostly mechanical which can be used to
switch things off at end of travel. Sounds like its jolly crude.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian-Gaff wrote:
Blimey, would one not have expected it to detect the stall current?
Besides there are loads of gadgets, mostly mechanical which can be used
to switch things off at end of travel. Sounds like its jolly crude.

No real need. The locks will operate in say a second. Timer switches off
at just over a second. Why make things more complex than needed?

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Change Fullex UPVC front door lock for "Lift and Lock" type? Scrump UK diy 8 May 31st 09 08:50 PM
noisy door gfa2c Home Repair 33 April 3rd 09 07:15 PM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM