Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stitch welding (repair of cast iron)

A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme
yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head of an
Austin 12.

What wasn't clear from what they showed is how they achieve a perfect
seal: the crack was cut out and replaced with a hand-fettled insert,
before stitch welding across it, but it wasn't obvious if any sealant
was put in during assembly or applied afterwards. You did see them
finishing off by peening but surely that is not enough?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme
yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head

When I've seen it (only on TV, not in person) they screw-in and then
snap off special threaded inserts into the gap between the original and
new metal, or just direct into the crack.

this might not be the best video, but it's what turned-up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2015 21:59, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme
yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head

When I've seen it (only on TV, not in person) they screw-in and then
snap off special threaded inserts into the gap between the original and
new metal, or just direct into the crack.

this might not be the best video, but it's what turned-up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk

Interesting, thanks. I see they are using a thread sealant on each "pin"
so I guess that is the secret, as well as finishing off by peening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

A good example of a stitch welding repair on a Car SOS programme
yesterday, repairing an axial crack in a cast iron cylinder head

When I've seen it (only on TV, not in person) they screw-in and then
snap off special threaded inserts into the gap between the original and
new metal, or just direct into the crack.

this might not be the best video, but it's what turned-up ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk

Interesting, thanks. I see they are using a thread sealant on each "pin"
so I guess that is the secret, as well as finishing off by peening.

Yes, as an ex engineer, retired now, it was very interesting to see
how they did that repair. In my days, it was more usual to repair the
crack by welding with cast rods, after grinding out the crack.

Welding cast iron Matty F UK diy 308 September 7th 11 12:58 PM
Brazing or welding cast iron Don Foreman Metalworking 0 July 15th 09 06:12 AM
Brazing or welding cast iron Ned Simmons Metalworking 0 July 15th 09 03:16 AM
welding cast iron to stainless steel mark UK diy 4 March 6th 07 09:12 AM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM