Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roof and bees

I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they easy to
move without damage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they easy to
move without damage?

Masonry bees which do the damage are solitary insects, and so
presumably these are honey bees. Which do no structural damage to
buildings.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...n/bees-faq.htm

Clearly they've already got in somewhere, and even if you
succeed in evicting or destroying this lot, unless you're
a lot more patient and relentless than your average insect
in closing up any gaps, its possible something else more
a bit more harmful may move in.

In any case honey bees are beneficial insects which pollinate
many food crops, fruit etc. And in the opinion of many people
at least, they're under enough pressure as it is.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in news:mlph0g$kur$1@dont-
email.me:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...n/bees-faq.htm

Could they be just doing a reconaisance?
I have only seen a max of 3 at a time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
"michael adams" wrote in news:mlph0g$kur$1@dont-
email.me:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...n/bees-faq.htm

Could they be just doing a reconaisance?
I have only seen a max of 3 at a time.

according to the link,

2. When did they move in?
Honey bees reproduce by swarming where part of the old colony
leaves to seek a new homesite. Swarming occurs mostly during the
months of April and May.

If you notice bees in your house at another time of year, especially
summer, chances are great that they have been there since spring
and you have just now noticed them.

Now while its a US based website I'd imagine the months and the seasons
are roughly equivalent. And that basically they wouldn't be looking for
a nest site this late in the year. Unless their existing nest had
been destroyed anyway.

It's also pointed out (3) that if their existing exits are blocked
they may start looking for an exit that leads down into the
house. Maybe the sort of gap that only an insect would
even think of looking for

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:28:05 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:
I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting

between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned

they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent

insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up

and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the

strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they

easy to
move without damage?

They are probably tree bumblebees (nimbus hypnorum).

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Damned autocorrect That's bombus hypnorum.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.net...
wrote:
I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting

between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned

they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent

insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up

and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the

strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they

easy to
move without damage?

They are probably tree bumblebees (nimbus hypnorum).

I don't mind bumblebees, very placid creatures.

I remember a few years ago i went fishing and had one circulating next to me
at about 6 inches from the ground, it stayed around even after I'd tried to
send it on it's way with a flick of the wrist.
It didn't get agitated or aggressive, it just kept coming back to the
fishing box I was sitting on, and then after an hour or so, I realised I
must have put my box down on top of it's nest entrance. I moved the box over
about a foot and it went into a small hole, I just carried on fishing, and
the bumblebees came and went all day without incident, we were on nodding
terms by the time I went home

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 4:28:09 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they easy to
move without damage?

You should be able to push the second row of tiles up as the first row should be nailed. The item you refer to is called a "comb filler" it's nailed to the top edge of the fascia on top of the underlay felt with the combs outwards. When the first row of tiles are relayed the comb are pushed outwards not inwards. Position the tile on top of the comb and slide the tile downwards as to push the comb outward.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
scribeth thus
wrote:

I have a recently built extension and have seen bees getting between the
sarking membrane and the Marley concrete roof tiles. I am concerned they
may find their way through an overlap and get into the void.

The main house has a black plastic comb like strip to prevent insect
access.

I am wondering if I should try sliding the bottom row of tiles up and
fitting some. Should the tiles normally just slide up? What is the strip
called? Any alternatives without disturbing the tiles - or are they easy to
move without damage?

How do you know they're bees and not wasps? If they are bees, it could
be a swarm recently arrived and setting up a new colony. They won't
actually do any harm, but many people are nervous of them and imagine
they naturally aggressive and go around stinging people just for the
hell of it. If they're wasps, they'll be gone by late October.

Contact your local beekeeping organisation for advice. Find it here
http://tinyurl.com/bnhpnys

We've got a couple of Bee's nests here at the moment, one honey and one
bumblebee and they keep themselves to themselves and so do we and no
problems at all.

There're out there pollinating which we really need now..
--
Tony Sayer