Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

Default Semi DIY: Supplier of cut lengths of 25mm square tube?

Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...
--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...

Standard reply realy "angle grinder"

If you use the fine kerf discs, 1mm, the heat generated is much less
and the paint hardly affected.

The cost saving will possibly fund a cut off stand/holder for the
grinder making the job even easier.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian

wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube
ironmongery, this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone
recommend a firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting
list?

You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc. In
a stand. That's what I use for Dexion Speedframe.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/15 13:38, Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...

http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/services
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

Thanks all. Yes I was expecting the angle grinder replies, but will see what
www.themetalstore.co.uk can offer first (would like this to be a quick and
quiet job if possible!)

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

I would have expected the West Midlands the sort of area where you could
find a local metal cutting place - just give them a list of lengths and
someone out the back will cut them for you. If you're more specific about
area maybe someone could suggest somewhere.

For instance, this is our local Cambridge one:
http://www.mackay.co.uk/metals-warehouse.html
but it's going to be cheaper to go to a local firm rather than pay postage.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:

I would have expected the West Midlands the sort of area where you could
find a local metal cutting place - just give them a list of lengths and
someone out the back will cut them for you. If you're more specific
about area maybe someone could suggest somewhere.

Yes - it's the sort of job where a personal visit might get much better
prices than ordering over the phone, etc. I expect such places to take
pity on me. ;-)

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2015 13:55, Bob Minchin wrote:
Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube
ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone
recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...

Standard reply realy "angle grinder"

If you use the fine kerf discs, 1mm, the heat generated is much less
and the paint hardly affected.

The cost saving will possibly fund a cut off stand/holder for the
grinder making the job even easier.

One of these will also do the job even easier than an angle grinder in a
stand:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-...FdPKtAod3gUAJg

You should wear eye protection and gloves though since they spray around
quite a bit of swarf. You need to screw it to a workbench or to a piece
of plywood which you can clamp in a workmate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

ASh - but it had attachemnts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

ASh - but it had attachemnts.

Which never worked properly here. Apart from perhaps a sanding disc.

Remember my second power tool - a B&D jigsaw. Perfection after the
attachment. Still got it somewhere.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 17:58:46 UTC+1, Charles Hope wrote:
Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

ASh - but it had attachemnts.

The Stanley-Bridges Power Unit ("Don't just call it a power drill") boasted over 70 attachments. Saw wood, turn wood, drive screws, cut metals, spray paint, cut lawns, trim hedges, polish floors, buff, grind and do a 1001 other jobs.

£10 7 shillings and sixpence in 1964. attachments probably extra. At the same time you could buy 7 "Uneek" self-assembly kitchen units for £50 and Rawlplug were saying "while asbestos fibre filling compounds and wall plugs are ideal; for many fixing jobs, they have their limitations".

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

There were circular saws too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

And the Electrolux vacuum came with a paint sprayer attachment you could
put on the "blow" end rather than the "suck" end ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube
ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone
recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...

Standard reply realy "angle grinder"

I would say jigsaw.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

There were circular saws too.

As attachments. B&D anyway. It had it's own handle Same as sanders
with the cam thing which you attached to the chuck. You could
also get lathes.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

And the Electrolux vacuum came with a paint sprayer attachment you
could put on the "blow" end rather than the "suck" end ...

And bury hairs as they found their way through the filter bag:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

the Electrolux vacuum came with a paint sprayer attachment you
could put on the "blow" end rather than the "suck" end ...

And bury hairs as they found their way through the filter bag:-)

I don't think my parents' one ever saw action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube
ironmongery,
this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone
recommend a
firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting list?

Total order size isn't huge (20-30m total length, cut into ~70 pieces).
Delivery to West Midlands.

Cheers...

Standard reply realy "angle grinder"

I would say jigsaw.

Circular saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

There were circular saws too.

As attachments.

As separate devices.

B&D anyway. It had it's own handle Same as sanders
with the cam thing which you attached to the chuck.

You could also get lathes.

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Got a shelving project that requires a fair amount of 25mm square-tube
ironmongery, this sort of thing:

http://www.richardsonsuk.co.uk/product.aspx?p=47

Don't fancy the blisters from doing it with a hacksaw. Can anyone
recommend a firm that will supply pre-cut lengths from a custom cutting
list?

You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

In a stand. That's what I use for Dexion Speedframe.

I use a circular saw in my own cutoff saw stand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc in a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more. And is of very limited use for most.

Many will already have an angle grinder. A stand is cheap.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc in
a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more.

Nope, about the same for the cheapest ones that work fine for that.

And its completely trial to make your own stand for a circular saw too.

And is of very limited use for most.

Wrong, as always.

Many will already have an angle grinder. A stand is cheap.

A stand for a circular saw costs peanuts to make, just a
few bits of 25mm rhs and a couple of bolts is all mine is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc in
a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more.

Nope, about the same for the cheapest ones that work fine for that.

And its completely trial to make your own stand for a circular saw too.

And a steel cutting blade?

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc in
a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more.

Nope, about the same for the cheapest ones that work fine for that.

And its completely trial to make your own stand for a circular saw too.

And a steel cutting blade?

I have a steel cutting blade in my mitre saw ATM.
25mm tube is easy as long as its not too thin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc
in
a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more.

Nope, about the same for the cheapest ones that work fine for that.

And its completely trivial to make your own stand for a circular saw
too.

And a steel cutting blade?

I have a steel cutting blade in my mitre saw ATM.
25mm tube is easy as long as its not too thin.

I use metal cutting disks, then the thickness of the tube doesn’t matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
You know what the answer is. An angle grinder with steel cutting disc
in
a stand.

Cutoff saw with a metal cutting disk works a hell of a lot better.

But costs a lot more.

Nope, about the same for the cheapest ones that work fine for that.

And its completely trivial to make your own stand for a circular saw too.

And a steel cutting blade?

I use a metal cutting disk, costs peanuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 17:58:46 UTC+1, Charles Hope wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been about
when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about all a
DIYer would aspire to.

ASh - but it had attachemnts.

I had the drill, and dreamt of attachments. Sawing was done by hand. Years later I came across a circular saw attachment and thought I'd try it out of curiosity. Utter junk. TCT is one of the rare good things to come out of that country in that era.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
I have a steel cutting blade in my mitre saw ATM.

How much did it cost?

25mm tube is easy as long as its not too thin.

Any thickness of 25mm tube is no problem with an angle grinder with
suitable cheap disc.

Larger than 25mm will likely need either a larger angle grinder or cutoff
saw, though.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 17:58:46 UTC+1, Charles Hope wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just thinking that. Oh I wish the Angle grinder had been
about when I was younger and could see what I was doing.

Older readers will remember when a mains electric drill was about
all a DIYer would aspire to.

ASh - but it had attachemnts.

I had the drill, and dreamt of attachments. Sawing was done by hand.
Years later I came across a circular saw attachment and thought I'd try
it out of curiosity. Utter junk.

Yup. That's what I found. Probably due to the blade blunting after a
couple of uses.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*