Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is My Meter Smart?

Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a
smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service
providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider
switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/15 15:05, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a
smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service
providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider
switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3

I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil

That one is a dumb meter. Same (or very similar) to mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:05:56 +0100, thescullster wrote:

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

That's exactly what it is. That's not a smart meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you are right. When I last asked they were still all arguing about a
standard interface system and how to make them accessible to blind people.
I do sometimes wonder why such things take so long.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"thescullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a
smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service
providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider
switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thescullster wrote:

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Yep electronic, but not smart ... no comms back to base ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
thescullster wrote:

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Yep electronic, but not smart ... no comms back to base ...

Thanks guys

I'll not be wasting time trying to connect this to my Wi-Fi
network then.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----