DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is My Meter Smart? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381175-my-meter-smart.html)

thescullster June 11th 15 03:05 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a
smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service
providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider
switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil

Tim Watts[_3_] June 11th 15 03:33 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

On 11/06/15 15:05, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sounds like a daft question this, but is my electric meter actually a
smart device and how can I tell?

Was listening to the radio at dinner time and they were on about service
providers rolling out this smart meter stuff, giving easier provider
switching and usage monitoring etc.

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3

I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Phil

That one is a dumb meter. Same (or very similar) to mine.

Adrian June 11th 15 04:01 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:05:56 +0100, thescullster wrote:

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

That's exactly what it is. That's not a smart meter.

Brian-Gaff June 11th 15 04:56 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

I think you are right. When I last asked they were still all arguing about a
standard interface system and how to make them accessible to blind people.
I do sometimes wonder why such things take so long.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Andy Burns[_9_] June 11th 15 07:01 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

thescullster wrote:

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Yep electronic, but not smart ... no comms back to base ...

TheChief August 26th 15 11:28 PM

Is My Meter Smart?

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
thescullster wrote:

Looking at my meter it is an Ampy Automation UK device similar to this:
http://www.universalmeterservices.co...8.html?cPath=3
I think mine was date 2006.

For my money this just looks like an electronic version of the original
mechanical meter.

Yep electronic, but not smart ... no comms back to base ...

Thanks guys

I'll not be wasting time trying to connect this to my Wi-Fi
network then.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----