Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic Rhino ramps .....

Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that enough to
get under?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that enough to
get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank, with a bit of angle or
what ever, so they hook onto the metal ramps. You get a more gradual
rise then.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonno" wrote in message
Jim at the Common Riding scribbled

Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only
raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that enough
get under?

Jack it up and put the higher metal ramps under the wheels.

been doing that for years ....pain in the neck ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they
only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is
that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank, with a bit of angle or what
ever, so they hook onto the metal ramps. You get a more gradual rise then.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

never tried that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

been doing that for years ....pain in the neck ...

In that case, dig a trench.

watch me ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they
only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is
that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank, with a bit of angle or what
ever, so they hook onto the metal ramps. You get a more gradual rise then.

what do you think of these Harry ?...german engineering .....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torrex-Steel...keywords=ramps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2015 13:30, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that enough to
get under?

IIRC from a number of years ago, a steel ramp was available with a jack
section on the flat area. Sorry, no refs.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
On 06/06/2015 13:30, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only
raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that enough
get under?

IIRC from a number of years ago, a steel ramp was available with a jack
section on the flat area. Sorry, no refs.

Malcolm

yes I remember that...couldn't find them either .....when I was 17 in 1969
my uncle got me a set with his fag coupons ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim at the Common Riding" wrote in message

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
On 06/06/2015 13:30, Jim at the Common Riding wrote:
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up
on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit dubious
about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they only
raise
the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is that
enough to
get under?

IIRC from a number of years ago, a steel ramp was available with a jack
section on the flat area. Sorry, no refs.

Malcolm

yes I remember that...couldn't find them either .....when I was 17 in 1969
my uncle got me a set with his fag coupons ......

...shame the ramps lasted longer than he did

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim at the Common Riding
writes

when I was 17 in 1969
my uncle got me a set with his fag coupons ......

I was 17 in 1969, and have still got ramps, socket set, axle stands and
more obtained using fag coupons or Green Shield stamps.

Best tip I heard for ramps was a foot of hardboard or ply with 2 x 1
nailed across on end. Hook the 2 x 1 under the ramp so the tyres run on
the ply before hitting the ramps. Stops the ramps being nudged forward.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News" wrote in message
news
In message , Jim at the Common Riding
writes

when I was 17 in 1969
my uncle got me a set with his fag coupons ......

I was 17 in 1969, and have still got ramps, socket set, axle stands and
more obtained using fag coupons or Green Shield stamps.

Best tip I heard for ramps was a foot of hardboard or ply with 2 x 1
nailed across on end. Hook the 2 x 1 under the ramp so the tyres run on
the ply before hitting the ramps. Stops the ramps being nudged forward.

Graeme

I still have a book of greenshild stamps and a book of pink stamps .....

I will try that...better than spending £70 on a rhino .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim at the Common Riding wrote:
been doing that for years ....pain in the neck ...

In that case, dig a trench.

watch me ...

Better still get an unmodified normal car?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim at the Common Riding" wrote in message

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Jim at the Common Riding wrote:
been doing that for years ....pain in the neck ...

In that case, dig a trench.

watch me ...

Better still get an unmodified normal car?

got one ...

first time I had trouble getting a car up a ramp was an abysmal Volvo 440
.......nothing modified about that ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they
only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is
that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank,

He resents the comparison.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think
they only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung
car is that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank,

He resents the comparison.

you calling me a plank ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like the ramps you have are not designed very well. Perhaps if they
are detachable, somebody could make some with a longer slope to reduce the
gradient enough?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim at the Common Riding" wrote in message
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they
only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is
that enough to get under?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get
it up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think
they only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung
car is that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank,

He resents the comparison.

you calling me a plank ? .....

Not at all, just similar to those mentioned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim at the Common Riding wrote on 06/06/2015 :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Jim at the Common Riding explained on 06/06/2015 :
Because the front of the Mustang is so low and protruding I can't get it
up on to my metal ramps, has anybody tried Plastic Rhino ramps? Bit
dubious about them but they seem to have various advantages. I think they
only raise the car an additional 6 1/2 inches and in a low slung car is
that enough to get under?

The usual solution is two short bits of plank, with a bit of angle or what
ever, so they hook onto the metal ramps. You get a more gradual rise then.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

never tried that ...

I use that method every time I use ramps, its far too low to go up
normal ramps without the help of a short bit of plank. For the
un-driven wheels, a strip of carpet or similar, looped around a rung -
so the wheel gets on the carpet first, prevents the ramp being pushed
out of the way.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 07/06/2015, Jim at the Common Riding supposed :
first time I had trouble getting a car up a ramp was an abysmal Volvo 440
......nothing modified about that ...

Not many modern cars are able to climb up a normal ramp these days,
they are just too low at the skirt, unless you buy some extra long
ramps. As said, a short bit of plank with a bracket to hook firmly on
the ramp has worked fine for me for decades.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2015 02:25, F Murtz wrote:

Better still get an unmodified normal car?

My old Primera wouldn't go up ramps.

Andy

Speaking of car ramps Howard Beal Metalworking 39 August 12th 14 06:34 AM
Car ramps Matty F UK diy 41 March 4th 11 02:29 PM
Wooden Ramps the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 9 November 7th 08 10:02 PM
Threshold Ramps Charlie S. Home Repair 6 July 17th 06 10:12 PM