Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default What are these "strange" screws?

The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

Here's a closer view:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws2.jpg

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

For a screw gun or whatever they're called. Like a chain gun but you
don't need a license.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 12:04, MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

Here's a closer view:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws2.jpg

MM

They're plasterboard screws. Builders use special gun-type screwdrivers
into which these strips of screws can be loaded. Much quicker than
having to handle each screw.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 12:20:18 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 05/06/2015 12:04, MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

Here's a closer view:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws2.jpg

MM

They're plasterboard screws. Builders use special gun-type screwdrivers
into which these strips of screws can be loaded. Much quicker than
having to handle each screw.

Ah! Thanks (for both responses). I'd have never come up with a gun!

Oh, well. I'll just put the screws in my rummage drawer. May come in
handy.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for?

Collated screws for use in an automated screwdriver, presumably for
plasterboarding

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XT7RXRF5L._SX425_.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes you also find pop rivets and other fasteners in kind of bandoliers or
rolls that feed a bit like a machine gun.
Lethal things if using the nail version!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Scott M" wrote in message
MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for? Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

For a screw gun or whatever they're called. Like a chain gun but you don't
need a license.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 12:04, MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

Single thread passivated self tapping... probably plaster board / dry
lining.

I've been puzzling ever since what these are for?

Screwing things together...

Why not have a box
of screws? And is the plastic meant for some special fixing?

They are collated screws for an auto feed screw gun.

e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-684...questid=331430

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 12:04, MM wrote:
The other day I removed the side panel from the bath to clean right
into the cracks. The builders (ten years ago) had left all kinds of
crud under the bath, including this plastic strip with three screws
still in it:

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/strange_screws1.jpg

As the US call them 'Drywall screws' for fixing plaster board to
wooden studs.
they are on a strip as there are automatic screw guns that use this feed
method.

Here is a video of how to use one: https://youtu.be/R9IMOfOp7-M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18/06/2015 19:54, rick wrote:

As the US call them 'Drywall screws' for fixing plaster board to
wooden studs.
they are on a strip as there are automatic screw guns that use this feed
method.

Here is a video of how to use one: https://youtu.be/R9IMOfOp7-M

I don't do any plaster boarding, but I want one of those screw guns!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2015 20:36, GB wrote:
On 18/06/2015 19:54, rick wrote:

As the US call them 'Drywall screws' for fixing plaster board to
wooden studs.
they are on a strip as there are automatic screw guns that use this feed
method.

Collated is the word.

Here is a video of how to use one: https://youtu.be/R9IMOfOp7-M

I don't do any plaster boarding, but I want one of those screw guns!

I bought a Makita one for decking. 'kin disaster. Never managed to fire
a belt of 50 without jamming. Sent it back.