Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default On the subject of toilets and flushing

We have one upstairs, one downstairs, both identical in all respects
other than the poor operation of the one upstairs. It needs numerous
flush attempts, to clear the pan contents. It has always been thus, but
does seem to have become worse over the years. There is no backing up
of the flush water, no rise in level as it flushes in the bowl, it just
fails to flush the contents.

Both cisterns are wall mounted at waist height, both are filling to the
same level, both seem to flush as rapidly - same time start to finish,
but estimated.

The downstairs one goes down into the solid floor, out under the
outside wall then horizontally to a manhole about 8 feet away.

The upstairs one travels on the surface two feet, sloping down to the
outer wall, then T's into a vertical soil pipe, which is open vented
above the roof eaves.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2015 17:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
We have one upstairs, one downstairs, both identical in all respects
other than the poor operation of the one upstairs. It needs numerous
flush attempts, to clear the pan contents. It has always been thus, but
does seem to have become worse over the years. There is no backing up of
the flush water, no rise in level as it flushes in the bowl, it just
fails to flush the contents.

Both cisterns are wall mounted at waist height, both are filling to the
same level, both seem to flush as rapidly - same time start to finish,
but estimated.

The downstairs one goes down into the solid floor, out under the outside
wall then horizontally to a manhole about 8 feet away.

The upstairs one travels on the surface two feet, sloping down to the
outer wall, then T's into a vertical soil pipe, which is open vented
above the roof eaves.

We have the same problem and ours seems to have got worse as well.

Have a look at the water flow when the flush water goes into the bowl.
On ours the water is in three streams: One straight down and the other
two either side - but the LH stream hits the others part way around the
side. This is causing the flush "wave" to push the contents to the side
of the bowl and not out of the exit pipe.

I had a look under the rim and found that there are only three water
holes under the input pipe. This is not like our other bowl that has
holes all the way around and we never have any problems with this one. I
cleaned out the holes and under the rim. This has improved the situation
even though I didn't appear to remove any deposits.

Best of luck
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TomSawer used his keyboard to write :
I had a look under the rim and found that there are only three water holes
under the input pipe. This is not like our other bowl that has holes all the
way around and we never have any problems with this one. I cleaned out the
holes and under the rim. This has improved the situation even though I didn't
appear to remove any deposits.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Its a soft water area, so there should be any deposits build up, but
worth a look anyway.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Some WC pans are just bad design.
I have similar problems with a cheapie I bought.
A lot of new water saving designs are poor too.

Always best to get a well known make I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain used his keyboard to write :
Some WC pans are just bad design.
I have similar problems with a cheapie I bought.
A lot of new water saving designs are poor too.

Always best to get a well known make I think.

These were both put in as replacements, as part of a full refurb 30 -
35 years ago and are a well known make. The only water saving feature
is a full flush or a half flush. Nothing has needed to be replaced in
all of that time apart from the flush handle linkages on both.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have a shorter distance between the open air and the toilet, I'd
suggest it flows faster but may not be as powerful a suck as it would on a
longer run perhaps?
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active