Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help recognising electrical plug?

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

The central pin and circle of other pins reminds me of a valve or relay
base. Not sure I have ever seen any that small though.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

have a look at the Rapid Electronics website. There are a few that look
very similar, but are photographed from a different angle.

http://www.rapid-electronics.com/Cab...ular-Multipole

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 09:49, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

The central pin and circle of other pins reminds me of a valve or relay
base. Not sure I have ever seen any that small though.

+1

Google images six pin plug / connector. There are lots of inline
connectors which look like MIL-spec. Not so common to see the larger
central pin. Image isn't quite clear enough to see the details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 10:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

have a look at the Rapid Electronics website. There are a few that look
very similar, but are photographed from a different angle.

http://www.rapid-electronics.com/Cab...ular-Multipole

I think you mean
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

The central pin and circle of other pins reminds me of a valve or relay
base. Not sure I have ever seen any that small though.

Funny, that was my thought too. But wasn't the central pin on a valve
actually non-conducting with a lug (?) down it so that there was only
one rotational position at which it could be plugged in?

Yes.

The central pin in the pix looked metallic to me.

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 10:30, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

The central pin and circle of other pins reminds me of a valve or
relay base. Not sure I have ever seen any that small though.

Funny, that was my thought too. But wasn't the central pin on a valve
actually non-conducting with a lug (?) down it so that there was only
one rotational position at which it could be plugged in? The central
pin in the pix looked metallic to me.

Certainly the central pin was used for orientation of full size valve
bases, but in this plug, orientation appears to be by having one
rectangular pin. My thought was that this looks like a miniaturised
version and that using the central pin as a conductor could help to keep
the size down.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

What sort of 'toy' is it, and do you know what the various pins on the
plug are used for?

It looks a *bit* (but only a bit) like the sort of plug which was built
into some older Garmin hand-held GPS devices - to provide external power
and a serial interface to a computer - but that had smaller pins than
yours, and no square ones, and the central pin - if present at all - was
only for location.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 April 2015 08:28:23 UTC+1, News wrote:
Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I expect its proprietary. Have you uploaded the pics to google image search?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2015 08:28, News wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

The central pin and circle of other pins reminds me of a valve or relay
base. Not sure I have ever seen any that small though.

+1

Google images six pin plug / connector. There are lots of inline
connectors which look like MIL-spec. Not so common to see the larger
central pin. Image isn't quite clear enough to see the details.

That looks to me like the effect of flash photography. I can never
understand why people don't take the hint and try again with the damned
auto-flash disabled when they instantly see the disaster of a picture
they've just taken.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:28:09 +0100, News
wrote:

Morning All,

I have a small part of a toy/model that plugs into a socket I don't
have. Pictures here, with five pence coin for scale :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/index2.html

It seems likely that the manufacturer would have used a proprietary
system, but I cannot see anything to match. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You'd be better off telling us what the "small part of a toy/model"
is, and how you propose to wire up the socket, if that's what you're
after.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johnny B Good
writes
Image isn't quite clear enough to see the details.

That looks to me like the effect of flash photography. I can never
understand why people don't take the hint and try again with the damned
auto-flash disabled when they instantly see the disaster of a picture
they've just taken.

Sorry! The first image is without flash. However, I have written to
the manufacturer - I was amazed to find the item on their web site, even
though it is about 15 years old. I should have said manufacturer is US,
so plug/socket may be something fairly common there, but not here.
--
Graeme