Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weird drain design

I replaced my soil stack vent with an air admittance valve, but when I flush the toilet the water doesn't go away so quickly (only an extra 2 seconds, but the flow now isn't fast enough to clear the **** and some floats!) and also I can hear it pushing into the nearby shower drain. At the bottom of the soil stack is some water, as though perhaps the pipe running from there to the main drains is not entirely downhill. I assume it's creating back pressure. If I flush the toilet with the vent removed, it flushes fine. The toilet is only a couple of feet from the soil stack.

I had a peek in a drain cover just outside the front of the house, and there are two drains, one for waste, and one for the gutters. The waste drain is blocked, it's full of water there. And simply flowing over into the rainwater drain! How stupid! So I've been polluting the rain drains all this time without knowing. I guess I go borrow a big drain rod....

--
Did you hear about the little Indian chief who didn't know the difference between heads and tails?
He was always bringing home scalps with holes in them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
[...]

you are and always will be a ****ing idiot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Even worse.
If your surface water goes to a soakaway, the foul water/**** may well block
it up and be expensive to fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:10:49 +0100, harryagain wrote:

[...]

I imagine it joins the street drains.

--
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of the oncoming train.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is, it's under my front garden between two manholes. They're only a few metres apart, so the blockage should be easy to shift.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:35:42 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

If the blockage is not on your property, get the people who own the drains
in your area to come and fix it.
Brian

--
Why is a black bank balance good, but a black credit rating bad? Why isn't it a red credit rating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

news I replaced my soil stack vent with an air admittance valve, but when I

Well it leaves my property in a seperate pipe to my sewage, heading for the road. Where the **** else would it go?

--
I never would have married you if I knew how stupid you were!" shouted the woman to her husband.
The husband replied, "You should've known how stupid I was the minute I asked you to marry me!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It may join a separate drain that conveys it to the nearest water course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Rainwater drains don't go into the sewage system, they go into streams and
rivers, otherwise, they wouldn't be kept seperate.

Your recycled kebabs and curries have been splattering into the nearest
stream

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:10:49 +0100, harryagain
wrote:

[...]

Er.... I was saying my rainwater drain from my gutters joins the pipe for the drains at the side of the street, neither of which is processed for sewage.

And I hope they don't mind washing machine water going into it, that was more convenient to plumb in. Or worse, the hosing down from my parrot aviary.

--
Fellows, it's often easier to just give in to your wife. I mean, what's your word against thousands of hers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Which is surely where the street drains go?

--
The average lifespan of electronic devices is between zero and infinity, or 2 days after the warranty runs out, whichever comes first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Exactly.
You see, you knew.
If only you'd stopped to think.
No sewage company wants rainwater going through it's works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 00:48:55 +0100, harryagain

It's not like it's **** from the toilet.

--
To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kill you to wash your hands in between either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I said my surface water joins the street drains, and you said I was wrong. Now you're saying I'm right. Make up your mind.

--
To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kill you to wash your hands in between either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Actually I've no idea where it goes, as I just ran water down it and it didn't go through any of the pipes under my own manhole covers! I guess we all share each other's drains. I also have a pipe coming from my neighbour into my sewage drain - ugh! So half that **** I just plunged out was hers.

--
To truly love another, you must first love yourself. And it wouldn't kill you to wash your hands in between either.