Posted to alt.home.repair

Default french drain design advice sought

"Chris Jarshant" wrote in message
We live on a slightly sloped lot, and the water from the
uphill lot flows down toward my house. This wasn't a
problem until recently, we put in a new pool and the
re-grading on the side of the house has caused the water
to pool against the house now during moderate to heavy
rains.

First, I assume this will be a problem long
term, because of termites? When it rains moderately,
a pool forms against the house at a max depth of 6".
This pool drains in an hour or so after it stops
raining.

We have a concrete/stucco house but the second floor
is mostly wood and of course the interior walls and
studs are wood/drywall. No basement (it is a concrete
slab house). Will the cyclic pooling during rains
dilute the termite treatments? I get a "booster"
under-the-slab-injections every 5 years along with
regular spraying once a year and inspections.

The two ideas I have so far a

1. Lay a drain pipe (would have to be about 50' long and
downward sloping) to drain the water from against the
house to the back of the lot, to a spot where it can freely
flow downhill and off the lot.

2. Build a "french drain" maybe 10' from the house (between
my house and the uphill house). I was going to bury a
55 gal drum, filled with rocks, with a solid top and a
perforated bottom (using steel fencing). Then, run a
two or three drain pipes from against the house, into
the top of the drum, allowing water to drain immediately
from against the house (and the surrounding pool that it
is currently forming during heavy rain), into the
rock-filled drum, and out the bottom into the earth.

#1 sounds like not so much digging, but a pain to
get a 50' run of pipe to slope down enough. How
much does it have to slope? and will it maintain
that slope over time (I live in central florida, no
frost line here).

#2 sounds like a lot of digging, but no long lines
of drain pipe (10' at most). But also sounds more
expensive to get 55 gallons of rocks.

Should I do anything? If so, should I do the long-pipe
option or the buried-drum option?

Call up pool company and/or landscape company and bitch. Whoever does the
finish grade is supposed to WATCH for stuff like this, and at least tell the
owner. If the ponding was in an area of yard they didn't reshape, then they
should have pointed it out to you, and discussed possible options.

I'd regrade yard and add a swale somehow, if possible, before I screwed
around with drains in a grassy area. Parking lot and driveway drains are bad
enough, but drains in turf clog up regularly.

And yes, you need to do SOMETHING. Anywhere water ponds against wood on a
regular basis, the wood will fail at some point. Termites, mold, simple rot,
take your pick. A good lanscape company will know what to do- they fix stuff
like this all the time.

aem sends...

#2 sounds like a lot of digging, but no long lines
of drain pipe (10' at most). But also sounds more
expensive to get 55 gallons of rocks.

Should I do anything? If so, should I do the long-pipe
option or the buried-drum option?

Thanks!

cj

Ponding water against the house is not a good thing...best to sove the
problem now rather than letting the damage occur.

Your contractor should have avoided this problem, that's why hired
him ......experience.

#1 sounds like not so much digging, but a pain to

get a 50' run of pipe to slope down enough.

Actually the 50' run depending the lay of the land is going to be
slightly more to 2 or 3 times as much digging as the 55 gallon drain
soltuon.

How much does it have to slope?

Ideally about 1/4" per foot so you need ~12" you could get away with
less

and will it maintain that slope over time (I live in central

florida, no frost line here).,

Unless you live in a swamp, once carefully placed & the soil tamped
back in, the drain line will maintain position just fine.

Yes, you have to do something

A properly placed 50' drain line with be more work but have a longer
more trouble free working life.

55 gallons of rocks (actually you want smooth round stones, crushed
rock or angluar "gravel" tends to pack itself) even by the bag would
only be about $75

55 gallons drum will hold about 800lbs of stones I estimate $4.5 per
50 lb bag.....but you should be able to buy bulk rocks cheaper than
bagged.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:32:32 -0500, Chris Jarshant
wrote:

We live on a slightly sloped lot, and the water from the
uphill lot flows down toward my house. This wasn't a
problem until recently, we put in a new pool and the
re-grading on the side of the house has caused the water
to pool against the house now during moderate to heavy
rains.

SNIP...
Should I do anything?

Yes
If so, should I do the long-pipe
option or the buried-drum option?

Try the regrade-the-lot option

Design Advice Sought [email protected] Woodworking 8 May 3rd 07 10:30 PM
French drain help..... chrisexv6 Home Repair 22 April 19th 07 04:32 PM
French Drain Burhans Home Repair 4 May 28th 05 12:36 AM
Questions about french drain peter Home Repair 4 December 27th 04 01:34 PM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 12:30 PM