Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone up for voluntering for a pic project?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Simon Brown formulated on Tuesday :
As the scales are under 2" thick, I don't see putting the barrel on them
as a problem.

You don't know that he can even lift a full 50L barrel.

yes, I do have experience.

Not with what he can do you don't.

50+ Litres of water (it will actually be nearer 55L, plus its container It
will weigh around 65Kg. It has to be a single handed unbalanced lift, so
believe me it is heavy and awkward to maneuver - which is why many choose
the smaller barrel sizes.

I can lift it, despite back issues, but I try to avoid it. Which was
another good reason for saying a spring balance was out of the question.

It wouldn't be hard to organise some sort of crane system,
but your original approach of metering the water as it leaves
is a much better approach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Brown presented the following explanation :
It wouldn't be hard to organise some sort of crane system,
but your original approach of metering the water as it leaves
is a much better approach.

Thank you! The item will not turn up for a couple of days, but I'm
confident it will work.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2015 21:44, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Syd Rumpo presented the following explanation :
On 27/04/2015 12:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Please...

Assume - There is no money in it at all, though you would be welcome to
any profits were any to be forth coming from sales.

Its fairly basic idea, just some means of indicating when a 50L barrel
of water, on a caravan is nearing empty.

snip

Might a washing machine pressure switch not be simpler? They are
often adjustable and some switch at a few inches of water. They're
passive of course and would be outside the tank. A used one to play
with would be very cheap.

Cheers

As announced way up there /|\ . I have solved it with a ready made flow
cheap and cheerful ready made flow counter, but a washing machine
pressure switch pipe end needs to be in the tank, or connected to a
spigot on the tank.

No it doesn't. The important aspect is the head of water, so can be
fitted in any pipe at a head to suit the barrel. The issue is any alarm
may need to be silenced when water is drawn!

Wires leading to it and faffing about connecting the
sensor each time. It would work, but I wanted something needing minimum
user involvement. Just pressing a button at each fill was quite acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 10:12:35 PM UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Simon Brown presented the following explanation :
It wouldn't be hard to organise some sort of crane system,
but your original approach of metering the water as it leaves
is a much better approach.

Thank you! The item will not turn up for a couple of days, but I'm
confident it will work.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Ultrasonic appears to be the method of choice with Arduino`s, just for general interest showing the amount of hardware /software not required ;-)

http://www.makechronicles.com/2012/0...rduino-uno1-0/

https://alaskanshade.wordpress.com/2.../homeheating1/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx submitted this idea :
No it doesn't. The important aspect is the head of water, so can be fitted in
any pipe at a head to suit the barrel. The issue is any alarm may need to be
silenced when water is drawn!

The submersible pump includes a none return valve, to prevent the water
dropping back out of the pipe, when lifted out - so attaching it to the
pump flow pipe would not work.

There is a second none return valve at the input port for the pump, on
the side of the van, to retain the pressure in the internal plumbing
system.

Power and water is via a special side by side twin pipe, with water and
power plugged in via the one plug. They are pretty much a modular unit,
pump at one end, twin pipe, then the plug.

£60 to replace if they fail, so I have fitted a sounder so I know when
the pump runs, to avoid it ever running out of water and running
continuously. Its very annoying, I really ought to design something to
inhibit the sounder for the first two minutes.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

1) I liked the flow meter solution, do tell us if you can extend the
wires easily.

2) You can buy a pump motor only, for just over £20 IME. This is UK d-i-y!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2015 10:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I had assumed a non submersible pump, with an indoor self priming pump
with a pressure switch etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Power and water is via a special side by side twin pipe, with water and
power plugged in via the one plug. They are pretty much a modular unit,
pump at one end, twin pipe, then the plug.

£60 to replace if they fail, so I have fitted a sounder so I know when
the pump runs, to avoid it ever running out of water and running
continuously. Its very annoying, I really ought to design something to
inhibit the sounder for the first two minutes.

Depending upon the battery voltage and pressure switch setting,
there is another fault condition where it fails to reach enough
pressure to switch off. I considered fitting a little sounder
myself, but never got as far as looking for a suitable one.

My (very) old previous van had a much more substantial inboard
pump, which was clearly audible.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 29/04/2015, Capitol supposed :
1) I liked the flow meter solution, do tell us if you can extend the wires
easily.

So did I, it will be a very neat solution if it works out OK.

2) You can buy a pump motor only, for just over £20 IME. This is UK
d-i-y!

You can, but this is a modular system with a special high capacity
pump.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon explained on 29/04/2015 :
Depending upon the battery voltage and pressure switch setting,
there is another fault condition where it fails to reach enough
pressure to switch off. I considered fitting a little sounder
myself, but never got as far as looking for a suitable one.

Lots of 12v piezo sounders about, mine is just tacked across the pins
at the back of the plug where it goes out through the wall. A bit of
blue tack over the hole in the sounder, helps control the noise. The
pump in the barrel is inaudible, even when it is running with an empty
barrel. Having splashed out £60 on the pump and had it run dry once, I
was keen not to repeat the experience, so I slapped the sounder across
it quite.
The flow of water to some extent limits the temperature rise of the
pump.

My (very) old previous van had a much more substantial inboard
pump, which was clearly audible.

One of the down-sides to an inboard pump.