Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refurbishing the basin taps

10 days ago, I bethought me to replace the washers in the taps in the
downstairs loo, and the project is still on-going, with the kitchen
being mostly disassembled in order to get access to the pipes on
the other side of the wall.

So much for a job that only takes a few minutes, but we never used
that basin as the kitchen sink was under 10 feet away, and that was
where were the soap and towels.

However, I digress.

One of the taps was completely locked solid, and 5 days of soaking
alternately
in both white vinegar (to get rid of scaling) and WD40 did not produce the
desired
affect, so it was off to B&Q for replacement parts.

My first reaction was to bin the seized-up tap, until I realised that it
still had a use,
or rather, the screw tail still had a use after being sawn off, and that is
to make use of
discarded tails, connecting them back-to-back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

The application of sufficient heat fixes most problems like this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 April 2015 19:40:42 UTC+1, gareth wrote:
[...]

dare I ask how that's useful?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 24 April 2015 19:40:42 UTC+1, gareth wrote:
One of the taps was completely locked solid, and 5 days of soaking
alternately
in both white vinegar (to get rid of scaling) and WD40 did not produce
the
desired
affect, so it was off to B&Q for replacement parts.
My first reaction was to bin the seized-up tap, until I realised that it
still had a use,
or rather, the screw tail still had a use after being sawn off, and that
is
to make use of
discarded tails, connecting them back-to-back.

If you have a plumber's junk box, and discarded flexible tap tails, then
two of them back to back as described above gives you an extra long
flexible pipe with 15mm connectors at either end.

bath taps vs. basin taps Stephen[_12_] UK diy 10 January 12th 11 11:21 PM
where to buy basin taps david UK diy 6 December 31st 07 08:32 PM
Basin mixer taps [email protected] UK diy 8 December 2nd 07 06:58 AM
basin taps combo Arthur UK diy 12 July 15th 05 09:35 PM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM