Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl 18V Li-ion SDS back

Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

Anyone used it in anger? Still working my way through the Ikea teardown videos Andy linked to:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/m9XZWLzhs2c

Wonder if the Lidl is also like the Bosch Uneo.

Several other diy bits in Lidl next week and their instore leaflet has some "serving suggestion" photos featuring a Sarah Connoresque young lady putting them through their paces. Not quite sure where she's brushed against all that used grease...

http://s14.postimg.org/o41tl0vz5/lidl1.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/z4wyq1o81/lidl2.jpg

Perhaps Lidl have read Julie Bindel's article about B&Q closing stores and seen an opportunity:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...s-bad-news-diy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2015 10:55, mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

Anyone used it in anger? Still working my way through the Ikea teardown videos Andy linked to:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/m9XZWLzhs2c

Wonder if the Lidl is also like the Bosch Uneo.

Several other diy bits in Lidl next week and their instore leaflet has some "serving suggestion" photos featuring a Sarah Connoresque young lady putting them through their paces. Not quite sure where she's brushed against all that used grease...

http://s14.postimg.org/o41tl0vz5/lidl1.jpg
http://s14.postimg.org/z4wyq1o81/lidl2.jpg

Perhaps Lidl have read Julie Bindel's article about B&Q closing stores and seen an opportunity:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...s-bad-news-diy

The mixer and the work light look good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

They also have their 'suitcase' mains compressor again. I don't have a
garage or space for a proper compressor, and have found it very useful.
Used it for spraying wax inside the old car cavities. And as a source of
compressed air for blasting dust etc away in my (small) workshop. It's
also much faster at pumping up tyres than a 12v one. But obviously no use
where you need a continuous flow of high pressure air.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

They also have their 'suitcase' mains compressor again. I don't have a
garage or space for a proper compressor, and have found it very useful.
Used it for spraying wax inside the old car cavities. And as a source of
compressed air for blasting dust etc away in my (small) workshop. It's
also much faster at pumping up tyres than a 12v one. But obviously no use
where you need a continuous flow of high pressure air.

I'm assuming the 180L/min suction capacity will equate to 45L/min
delivery at 4 bar or 30L/min at 6 bar so too weedy for air tools?

Any plenum chamber at all or output straight from the piston chamber
like the battery ones?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2015 10:55, mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

Anyone used it in anger? Still working my way through the Ikea teardown videos Andy linked to:

Is this offer just available on 20th?

Will the battery tolerate occasional use say every 6 months?

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:28:37 PM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 14/04/2015 10:55, mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

Anyone used it in anger? Still working my way through the Ikea teardown videos Andy linked to:

Is this offer just available on 20th?

It's one of their weekly offers so it'll be available until it sells out. Some offers sell out the same day, others hang around for a few weeks.

Will the battery tolerate occasional use say every 6 months?

That's supposed to be one of the selling points of Li-ion that they hold their charge pretty well when not used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

Anyone used it in anger? Still working my way through the Ikea teardown videos Andy linked to:

My old Power Devil SDS drill has served me well but it has no rotary
stop and (I think) no safety clutch. How about this one, does anyone know?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2015 10:55, mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

snip

The way I read the advert, that isn't an SDS drill but a hammer drill
with an SDS chuck & bits - presumably that's why it's cheaper than last
year?

John M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 1:30:41 AM UTC+1, John Miller wrote:
On 14/04/2015 10:55, mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

snip

The way I read the advert, that isn't an SDS drill but a hammer drill
with an SDS chuck & bits - presumably that's why it's cheaper than last
year?

John M

It has a stated impact energy which a non-SDS product wouldn't have, and the cutwaway drawing in the product video shows the internal SDS mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...m?id=533&ar=10

It *looks* to use the same 18v battery as the drill, jigsaw and circular
saw on offer recently? That you could actually buy spare batteries for?

Must admit to wondering how long the battery would last when drilling
larger holes.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 11:27:20 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
John Miller wrote:

mike wrote:

Lidl's cordless SDS is back next week at £50. (Wasn't it £70 last time?):

The way I read the advert, that isn't an SDS drill but a hammer drill
with an SDS chuck & bits

People suspected that of the IKEA SDS, turned out not to be the case ...

SDS deniers.

For anyone who's considering getting one of these...

I just picked one up from Lidl (lots in stock) with two specific jobs in mind. Firstly I have a relative's fence to repair and need to fix some brackets to a concrete post. Cordless would save dragging the mains SDS and extension 50 miles. Secondly, I need to fix some angle iron in a narrow old fire place to install a register plate and the size of the mains drill will mean drilling at a wonky angle.

Out of the box, it was slightly greasy and needed a good wipe down although it's nicely finished and doesn't seem cheap with rough edges, as some budget tools do.

There was a bright yellow label attached to the chuck showing that, unlike standard SDS chucks, you don't pull back the collar to insert the bits: just push, twist and they click into place. You still pull back the collar to release them, though. It takes standard SDS bits. I read somewhere that the Bosch Uneo cordless has some unique variation of SDS but haven't seen one in the flesh.

There's a squeeze-lock on the drill/hammer selector (a bit like those on the lid of tablet bottles) to stop you switching modes unintentionally.

The rating plate identifies Einhell as the supplier. A quick check on Einhell's spares website shows spare batteries available at £49.99 --- the same price as the drill (inc battery) at Lidl.

There's no secondary chuck included but there is an SDS to hex adaptor and three hex shank wood bits.

The battery was half charged so I tried it out on a brick and a concrete paver, prepared (and half-expecting) to return it if it turned out to be a chocolate tea-pot.

With a 6mm bit, it took about 8 seconds to drill a 25mm deep hole in a brick, without undue effort. I thought it might struggle in the harder paver but it didn't - took maybe a second or two longer. I drilled another couple of 6mm/25mm holes in the paver and then tried a 10mm bit into the paver: a 25mm hole (including blowing the dust out of the hole twice) took about 30 seconds. It made short work of a similar hole in the brick.

This was done in 2nd gear (low torque, high speed, 0-900min-1, variable on the trigger).

Wrapping your hands round the body and the vent holes, you could feel a slight warmth after six holes.

There's a note in the instruction that the drill needs to be "run in" over ten holes before maximum drilling efficiency is reached.

Overall, after a brief test and with no proof of longevity, I'd say that it seems pretty good and better than I expected. (And there's always the three year guarantee.) I think it's primary use as a cordless SDS is what makes it attractive. I don't think it would be my first choice for other cordless drilling/screwdriving jobs.

It won't replace the Kress mains version that's stripped render, dug iron railings out of 4" concrete and knocked down internal walls but I think it'll be the first choice for those jobs inside the house (where previously the mains SDS would fling brick dust across the furniture). Sod's Law, of course, means there're always those random house bricks that are made of diamond.

Equally, whilst someone installing aerials everyday would probably want a two or three hundred quid cordless Bosch or Makita, for your average DIYer putting up an alarm box I think this would be an easier and safer bet than faffing with a heavier corded drill up a ladder.

One final observation: the date of manufacture is 2013. I don't know if that indicates they haven't sold well in the past and explains the price drop from previous years or if the Ikea model has influenced the price but I think fifty quid for this seems a better deal than forty for the Ikea with its internal batteries, lower voltage, longer charge time and shorter guarantee.

Lidl DIY Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 February 17th 14 11:08 AM
Fugen thingys back at Lidl The Medway Handyman UK diy 16 May 16th 13 07:46 PM
SDS back @ LIDL The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 May 11th 11 02:13 PM
Fixing door handles back to back? [email protected] Home Repair 4 April 10th 07 11:52 PM
Building code: Electrical boxes back-to-back, how many _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 1 March 15th 04 07:34 PM