Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Put wood glue in hole in chipboard before inserting screw

"MM" wrote in message
I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

Old hat.
Works well, was commonly used in the days before thin shank screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:17:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

Might be a bit difficult when it comes to removing the screws.

I have often used superglue. This readily soaks into chipboard (saturate
if possible), and greatly increases its strength. It also 'fixes'
chipboard when it has split. Of course, make sure it has 'gone off'
before you put the screw in (a tiny* drop of water can speed things).
You may need to re-drill the pilot hole. Polyester resin also works well
- but obviously is much more viscous.
*Not enough to soften the chipboard).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, 9 April 2015 13:17:56 UTC+1, MM wrote:
I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

I have adopted Andy Dingley's suggestion with great success; glue in short pieces of bamboo, cut from barbecue skewers. This is dead cheap and the bamboo has strong fibres running the right way for the screws to grip against.

The main thing is ensuring that the screws go into the centre of the skewer. I have only done this after the fact (screws previously present); I use a bradawl to mark the centre of the skewer cross-section once glued.

The wood glue idea is an alternative but not as good as this, I'm pretty sure.

HTH
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2015 13:17, MM wrote:
I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

I used to do that a lot and it certainly works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:22:37 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

Old hat.
Works well, was commonly used in the days before thin shank screws.

Well, I never! I've reinvented the wheel!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:29:49 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:17:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

Might be a bit difficult when it comes to removing the screws.

I won't want to remove them, ever.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 8:50:17 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:29:49 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:17:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little
(or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood
glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a
few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard
and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a
home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard"
(chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

* the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

Might be a bit difficult when it comes to removing the screws.

I won't want to remove them, ever.

MM

Might you want to tighten them if the thing they are screwed into shrinks ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 01:23:25 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

[...]

Nope. Chipboard is stable for years indoors.

MM