Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Braun toothbrush chargers

What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either the
3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no longer make
wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted, and this is
almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new model? I've
Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but am unable to
find the answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either
the 3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no
longer make wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted,
and this is almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new
model? I've Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but
am unable to find the answer.

A partial answer: they are certainly not all compatible as our newest
brushes wouldn't even fit on an old charger base. And cutting the
plastic on the charger to try to make it fit proved unsuccessful -
albeit that could be my incompetence.

It sounds as if it won't matter to you but the more recent chargers are
also single voltage unlike the older ones which coped with 110V-240V.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/15 12:50, Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply?

They don't supply a voltage - they supply an AC magentic field though a peg.

IME if it fits the base, it charges, and if it doesn't, well it doesn't.

I have certainly had a could of models over a period of a few years that
share the same base, and as another poster says, some new models appear
to be differing.

I would not worry beyond that - induction charging is so crude that teh
toothbrush will have electronics in it to ensure it will not over charge
and you'd be hard pressed with an air gapped 50Hz magnetic coupling to
exceed the charging current.

Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either the
3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no longer make
wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted, and this is
almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new model? I've
Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but am unable to
find the answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 12:50:06 PM UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either the
3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no longer make
wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted, and this is
almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new model? I've
Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but am unable to
find the answer.

I suspect your old one was like my D7011 OralB which had a wall mountable charger (but a clapped battery after 10 yrs).
Replaced with a Braun 1000 which has a much smaller spigot. No way will it will it fit the old charger.
This being a DIY group, I suppose you could get a little bracket for the new horizontal charger.

rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 12:50, Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either the
3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no longer make
wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted, and this is
almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new model? I've
Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but am unable to
find the answer.

The 3000 and 4000 chargers are definitely interchangeable; we have both,
and that's also the case an earlier one we had too.
Our wall charger, whih includes a brush holder, is "Type 4729"; the peg
is about 10mm x 5mm (at its widest) if that helps; not sure which brush
it came with but we've had it for ages.

Possibly all the NiMH ones are the same, but maybe different to the
original NiCd models.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 13:44, Reentrant wrote:
[...]

That gives me hope Reentrant if, as you seem to be saying the 3000 and
4000 fit your wall mounted 4729 charger, as that is what my old one is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 13:47, Broadback wrote:
[...]

Yes 3000 and 4000 are definitely OK with a 4729.

PS - the 4000 is a £36 (inc. VAT) special offer at Costco, but only
until Monday.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Continuous trickle charging will reduce battery life, so storing the brush on the charger is not the best option, though it will help Braun's sales figures. Cordless phones often have dumb chargers and just charge continuously at the 14 hour rate or thereabouts. A compromise between battery life and flexibility. Maybe toothbrushes are made like this too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 13:33, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/04/15 12:50, Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply?

They don't supply a voltage - they supply an AC magentic field though a
peg.

IME if it fits the base, it charges, and if it doesn't, well it doesn't.

I have certainly had a could of models over a period of a few years that
share the same base, and as another poster says, some new models appear
to be differing.

I would not worry beyond that - induction charging is so crude that teh
toothbrush will have electronics in it to ensure it will not over charge
and you'd be hard pressed with an air gapped 50Hz magnetic coupling to
exceed the charging current.

Why do you think it is 50Hz? It makes for big, inefficient inductors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/15 14:06, Fredxxx wrote:
On 03/04/2015 13:33, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/04/15 12:50, Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply?

They don't supply a voltage - they supply an AC magentic field though a
peg.

IME if it fits the base, it charges, and if it doesn't, well it doesn't.

I have certainly had a could of models over a period of a few years that
share the same base, and as another poster says, some new models appear
to be differing.

I would not worry beyond that - induction charging is so crude that teh
toothbrush will have electronics in it to ensure it will not over charge
and you'd be hard pressed with an air gapped 50Hz magnetic coupling to
exceed the charging current.

Why do you think it is 50Hz? It makes for big, inefficient inductors.

Because I have seen no evidence of any electronics in the base.

One of my bases you can see inside from underneath - it's more or less
hollow with the wire disappearing into a white potting compound blob.

I might be mistaken, but I do not see any evidence of there being any
electronics in the base - just a coil on the end of a mains cable.

Someone with an oscilloscope and a small homebrew pickup coil could
verify this - anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect unless you take one apart nobody is going to say. usually a
charger for something has a specific connector, and their next model has a
totally different connector or it won't fit the plastic bit even if it might
have worked.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Broadback" wrote in message
What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various models?
I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either the 3000 or
4000. I know they come complete with charger but no longer make wall
mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted, and this is almost a
necessity can I use my old charger for the new model? I've Googled until
my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but am unable to find the answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I had a look before I took the cutter to my old one and found
http://www.eevblog.com/2012/05/30/ee...rush-teardown/
suggests c20kHz and a comment there c.30kHz for another model
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/15 15:34, Robin wrote:

I had a look before I took the cutter to my old one and found
http://www.eevblog.com/2012/05/30/ee...rush-teardown/
suggests c20kHz and a comment there c.30kHz for another model

That is interesting - then the charging unit must have a pretty weeny PCB.

Still, looking at the circuit inside the toothbrush, it looks like it
wouldn't not matter much how it was driven - it's got a zener clamp and
some pretty crude circuitry on the transformer side. The worst I can see
happening is it takes too long to charge on the wrong base.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in
:

http://www.eevblog.com/2012/05/30/ee...hbrush-teardow
n/ suggests c20kHz and a comment there c.30kHz for another model

That is interesting - then the charging unit must have a pretty weeny
PCB.

Still, looking at the circuit inside the toothbrush, it looks like it
wouldn't not matter much how it was driven - it's got a zener clamp
and some pretty crude circuitry on the transformer side. The worst I
can see happening is it takes too long to charge on the wrong base.

To extract the motor and complete innard you need to press hard on the
shaft - the illustration on the charger base is showing this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 14:02, therustyone wrote:
Continuous trickle charging will reduce battery life, so storing the brush on the charger is not the best option, though it will help Braun's sales figures. Cordless phones often have dumb chargers and just charge continuously at the 14 hour rate or thereabouts. A compromise between battery life and flexibility. Maybe toothbrushes are made like this too.

My braun has lived on its charger for something like ten years, so I
*assume* there is either some regulation in the handset, or the current
is low enough to be safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 15:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
I suspect unless you take one apart nobody is going to say. usually a
charger for something has a specific connector, and their next model has a
totally different connector or it won't fit the plastic bit even if it might
have worked.

Brian

Not sure that this is true in this case. I know they have changed the
spigot size at least once, but I'm sure they have had a dozen or more
models with only marginally different features. Certainly my relatively
old one and my wife's fairly new one run fine on the one base. (I put
mine back on the base all the time, she only puts hers on to charge when
it goes flat).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2015 20:45, newshound wrote:
On 03/04/2015 15:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
I suspect unless you take one apart nobody is going to say. usually a
charger for something has a specific connector, and their next model
has a
totally different connector or it won't fit the plastic bit even if it
might
have worked.

Brian

Not sure that this is true in this case. I know they have changed the
spigot size at least once, but I'm sure they have had a dozen or more
models with only marginally different features. Certainly my relatively
old one and my wife's fairly new one run fine on the one base. (I put
mine back on the base all the time, she only puts hers on to charge when
it goes flat).

I have received this reply from Braun:

I'm very sorry to tell you that the wall mounted charger won't work with
any of our current toothbrush models.

With our chargers, they are continuously updated to provide the best
quality, and also to keep up-to-date with regulation changes. Due to the
most recent power consumption regulation changes, new toothbrushes and
chargers are not interchangeable with old versions.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'll be sure to share your interest in
a wall mountable charger with our Research & Development team - they are
always looking for ways to improve our products to best meet the
preferences of our consumers.

Pretty naff reply, there are quite a number of peeps looking for wall
mounted chargers. I certainly don't want to have to put a shelf up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 15:51:49 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
[...]

And if you believe their guff I have a bridge for sale

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2015 01:50, wrote:
[...]

I am very interested, but only if it is in London!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2015 15:51, Broadback wrote:

I have received this reply from Braun:

I'm very sorry to tell you that the wall mounted charger won't work with
any of our current toothbrush models.

Well, I can assure you that our wall mounted charger #4729 that looks
exactly like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAUN-TYPE-4729-ORAL-B-SONIC-ELECTRIC-TOOTHBRUSH-REPLACEMENT-CHARGER-GERMANY-/301587412606

- except with a UK-style 2-pin shaver socket plug - works fine with the
current 3000 and 4000 toothbrushes.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-03, Robin wrote:

Broadback wrote:
What voltage do they supply? Is there any difference with various
models? I have quite an old model and wish to replace it with either
the 3000 or 4000. I know they come complete with charger but no
longer make wall mounted ones. As my current model is wall mounted,
and this is almost a necessity can I use my old charger for the new
model? I've Googled until my fingers are sore and my brain numb, but
am unable to find the answer.

A partial answer: they are certainly not all compatible as our newest
brushes wouldn't even fit on an old charger base. And cutting the
plastic on the charger to try to make it fit proved unsuccessful -
albeit that could be my incompetence.

It sounds as if it won't matter to you but the more recent chargers are
also single voltage unlike the older ones which coped with 110V-240V.

It was pretty irritating to discover this just before my last trip to
the USA. If I'd noticed in advance, I probably would've bought a
different brand (or model).

Anyway, ours is currently plugged into a bathroom dual-voltage shaver
socket --- what is the worst that could happen if I accidentally
plugged it into the 120 V pair of holes instead of the 240 V pair?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-03, Robin wrote:

snip
It sounds as if it won't matter to you but the more recent chargers
are also single voltage unlike the older ones which coped with
110V-240V.

It was pretty irritating to discover this just before my last trip to
the USA. If I'd noticed in advance, I probably would've bought a
different brand (or model).

Anyway, ours is currently plugged into a bathroom dual-voltage shaver
socket --- what is the worst that could happen if I accidentally
plugged it into the 120 V pair of holes instead of the 240 V pair?

Sorry, 'avn't got a Danny La Rue 'guv.

But do please report back if you try the experiment as I'm a great
believer in the Baconian method - though FTAOD not to the point where
I'm willing to pay for your replacement
charger
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-03, Robin wrote:

snip
It sounds as if it won't matter to you but the more recent chargers
are also single voltage unlike the older ones which coped with
110V-240V.

It was pretty irritating to discover this just before my last trip to
the USA. If I'd noticed in advance, I probably would've bought a
different brand (or model).

Anyway, ours is currently plugged into a bathroom dual-voltage shaver
socket --- what is the worst that could happen if I accidentally
plugged it into the 120 V pair of holes instead of the 240 V pair?

OT - but WHY are they still making shaver sockets with 110V outputs,
except maybe for hotels?

It's insane. And yet noone have ever thought to make a dual 230V outlet
one which would be very handy with the proliferations of devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-04-03, Robin wrote:

snip
It sounds as if it won't matter to you but the more recent chargers
are also single voltage unlike the older ones which coped with
110V-240V.

It was pretty irritating to discover this just before my last trip to
the USA. If I'd noticed in advance, I probably would've bought a
different brand (or model).

Anyway, ours is currently plugged into a bathroom dual-voltage shaver
socket --- what is the worst that could happen if I accidentally
plugged it into the 120 V pair of holes instead of the 240 V pair?

OT - but WHY are they still making shaver sockets with 110V outputs,
except maybe for hotels?

I hadn't thought about it. I guess it's not much more expensive to
manufacture that way (two extra sets of contacts & one extra tap from
the transformer?), & the cost of manufacturing, selling, &
distributing two different kinds would outweight it.

It's insane. And yet noone have ever thought to make a dual 230V outlet
one which would be very handy with the proliferations of devices.

I'm sure you can DIY something up. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/04/15 22:50, Robin wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:

OT - but WHY are they still making shaver sockets with 110V outputs,
except maybe for hotels?

People who have visitors from the USA etc? Bearing in mind also the
growth of Airbnb and the like?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Replace battery in Braun toothbrush Richard Tobin UK diy 22 August 11th 14 04:40 PM
Braun Toothbrush John UK diy 8 June 3rd 09 11:24 PM
Braun Oral-B Toothbrush John UK diy 4 December 27th 06 11:51 PM
Braun Toothbrush - Rechargeable John UK diy 9 December 27th 06 05:36 PM
Braun Toothbrush recharger question g Electronics Repair 8 October 24th 04 02:18 AM