Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing second set of lights from first set?

I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gaz wrote:
I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of
lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

You'll need to run a second cable from either the old or new lights to the
switch.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But what is the harm. Anyway, yes he has to have a lead to be able to switch
the other set.
That is unless he wants to do it by radio.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Gaz wrote:
I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of
lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

You'll need to run a second cable from either the old or new lights to the
switch.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 14:10:45 +0000, Gaz wrote:

I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

Whatever you do, don't use the CPC of the existing cable as the 2nd
switch wire. ;-)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2015 14:10, Gaz wrote:
I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of
lights?

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

A lot depends on how the first set is wired. You'll need to run a
neutral and ground from the first set to the second set, which should be
fairly simple. Both will be present on all of the ceiling roses. You'll
also need to run an unswitched live to a new switch and then on to the
second set. Where you get that from will depend on the current wiring.
If you're lucky, there'll be a permanent live on one (or all) of the
ceiling roses. Otherwise, you'll have to run it from the feed side of
the current switch. [You might choose to do that anyway, if the new
switch is going to be near to the existing one.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2015 14:10, Gaz wrote:
I'm installing a second set of celiling lights using a spur off the
original set.

Is there a way of installing a dimmer switch to control only one set of
lights?

Yes, but you will need extra wires...

I've been told that there is but I can't work out how: there's only
presently one light switch for the one set of lights. If I install a
second set of lights on a spur of the original set of lights, how could
I control both sets of lights independently by just installing a dual
wall switch?

Have a look at the common ways of wiring lighting circuits and see if
you can work out what you have. Once we know that we can give more
precise advice:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ers#Lightin g

--
Cheers,

John.

Installing Some Fluorescent Strip Lights? Edward Home Repair 10 July 20th 07 06:03 AM
Installing Lights in Spain Richard UK diy 2 May 5th 07 08:23 PM
Installing rope lights Ron Home Repair 4 April 4th 07 06:11 PM
Installing Reccessed Lights Help [email protected] Home Repair 11 February 22nd 06 01:29 AM
Installing security lights in eaves [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 7th 05 09:49 PM