Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi 'dremel' £13 Sunday

Looks very good value. 135w, variable speed, 2 collect sizes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Looks very good value. 135w, variable speed, 2 collect sizes.

What I want is a smaller version and cordless - to replace my ancient
Ryobi. Just for light stuff like say the odd hole in a PCB or de-burring,
etc. No one seems to make one that small these days.

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 11:16:33 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Looks very good value. 135w, variable speed, 2 collect sizes.

What I want is a smaller version and cordless - to replace my ancient
Ryobi. Just for light stuff like say the odd hole in a PCB or de-burring,
etc. No one seems to make one that small these days.

I don't suppose you mean the little engravers? Those are still about I think, but of very limited use.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Looks very good value. 135w, variable speed, 2 collect sizes.

What I want is a smaller version and cordless - to replace my ancient
Ryobi. Just for light stuff like say the odd hole in a PCB or
de-burring, etc. No one seems to make one that small these days.

I don't suppose you mean the little engravers? Those are still about I
think, but of very limited use.

No - just a small high speed cordless drill with collet chuck. This Ryobi
one is pencil shaped - about 40 mm in diameter and 240mm long. It comes
with a desk stand which is also the charger, so simply putting it back in
that also puts it on charge. I find it so useful I'm surprised it's not
still made - or a similar alternative. I do have a couple of similar sized
hobby drills - but both low voltage with cords, so nothing like so
convenient to use. Cordless versions of those tend to be much bigger. The
Ryobi uses 4 AA rechargeables which I've replaced a few times, but is now
falling apart. A modern version with Li-Ion is what I'd like.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 4:19:07 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I don't suppose you could find an old one on ebay

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 23:24:05 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

I could quite fancy one of those in my toolkit but I see on their
website that the one and only product review is not very good at all.
Does anyone have any first hand experience of this product? Is it a
badge-engineered version of the same knock-off-Dremel found in other
discount shops at other times?

I've got an earlier model from Aldi, a bit noisy at full speed but
works fine and has done for several years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I could quite fancy one of those in my toolkit but I see on their
website that the one and only product review is not very good at all.
Does anyone have any first hand experience of this product? Is it a
badge-engineered version of the same knock-off-Dremel found in other
discount shops at other times?

I've got an earlier model from Aldi, a bit noisy at full speed but
works fine and has done for several years.

Yes, I have one, probably around 10 years old, but probably not had
even one hours use. Works OK.

Most recently used it to cut a hole for a plasterboard mounted back
box, where the plasterboard might have had insulated roofing felt
touching the back which I didn't want to cut, so used a tiny side-
cutting file bit to cut through the depth of the plasterboard,
without completely penetrating the paper on the far side, and then
tapped it to break the paper. Worked fine (and the roofing felt
was not as close as I thought it might be).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick Odell writes:
Thanks, Peter, thanks, Andrew. Reckon I'll pop down to my local store
this morning and see if they still have any in stock.

I popped into a nearby Aldi (Blackwater, Camberley) this morning,
and they didn't have any that I saw. Actually, they didn't have
anything much in the non-food line, except loads of spring
gardening stuff.

Still, it was a nice cycle ride, which was the main point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Those little dremel (and lookalike) saws can be very handy for that
sort of thing. They're also good for making a neat job of removing
knockouts from surface mounting boxes and such.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I could quite fancy one of those in my toolkit but I see on their
website that the one and only product review is not very good at all.
Does anyone have any first hand experience of this product? Is it a
badge-engineered version of the same knock-off-Dremel found in other
discount shops at other times?

I've got an earlier model from Aldi, a bit noisy at full speed but
works fine and has done for several years.

I've had a couple of cheapies over the past 20 years, but when the last
one failed I found that "real" Dremels are no longer as expensive as
they used to be. I *think* mine was under £40, plus a few pounds for a
collet. Not that I am against Aldi/Lidl products, I have several.