Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH misbehaving

An old Y plan system failing to fire up when CH & HW both called for.
Checked programmer output: both lines are indeed live
Checked stat output: its live, and switches correctly
Checked boiler: no power getting to boiler, or 4v ac to be precise.
Checked wiring cent other than the E&N terminals, ALL terminals except the pump/boiler one are live.

My conclusion, and I'm no expert on Y plans: I very much suspect a problem with the 3 way valve. However an examination reveals no such valve anywhere! The funny voltages on terminal 7 (not on terminal 3 which powers the boiler & pump) make it fairly clear that there is a Y plan 3 port somewhere, but it has to be either under or behind the HW cylinder AFAICS, or less likely under floorboards.

But... after failing to fire, while I was searching for the 3 port something went click and the system fired up. Looks like the system is suffering from sludging, so perhaps that's causing the 3 way to misbehave. I hope so, as getting to the 3 way looks likely to be impractical. So I think the first move is to drain, refill with cleaner, redrain refill & reinhibit.

Suggestions/feedback welcome!

NT

Lawnmower misbehaving JoeJoe UK diy 20 April 28th 14 02:10 PM
Tek 11403 misbehaving Ancient_Hacker Electronics Repair 1 May 27th 09 07:27 PM
Shower pump misbehaving Ian Chard UK diy 2 January 16th 08 11:14 PM
Gas oven misbehaving John Rumm UK diy 2 January 15th 07 09:48 PM
trv misbehaving halfjobharry UK diy 2 March 23rd 05 02:51 PM