Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lawnmower misbehaving

I have one quite similar to this one -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield...wnmower/46936#
- not sure of exact model. It was bought from B&Q around 7 years ago.

I decided at the time that unlike all the neighbours who take theirs to
be serviced regularly (i.e. annually or thereabout), with the purchase
price in mind, I would treat mine as all but disposable... All I have
done since I bought it was to fill it with petrol when empty, check the
oil level maybe once a year or so, and use it (never even cleaned the
thing). It has started first time without any problem ever since I
bought it, and has done a great job.

Got it out last week for the first time this year, and it was not happy...

Started OK, but was coughing and spluttering and the revs were lower
than usual. Also the occasional puff of whitish smoke coming out of the
exhaust.

I am the first to admit that I know next to nothing about these thing.
My thought was that perhaps the (never been touched before) air filter
was blocked, so I looked at it and gave it as best a clean as I could -
i.e. a quick brush with my hand, and put it back together.

Continued to use it and after around 10 minutes it suddenly came back to
life and was as good as new for the next 20 minutes until I was done...

Took it out yesterday, and the same thing happened again - first
unhappy, then happy...

Any thoughts as to what can cause this?

Considering that a new one can be had for around £150, I am happy to
play with it - take it apart if needed, etc - but don't want to spend
too much money on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

A man after my own heart regarding lawn mower care. ;-). I wonder if you
have a sticky valve guide causing a valve to hang up intermittently? Some
carb cleaner wouldn't hurt.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe formulated on Sunday :
[...]

I would suggest checking the carb for dirt maybe blocking a jet. Dirt
often gets washed into mower tanks when refuelling them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/14 18:50, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Two possibles: you have bad old petrol in it that only runs when its
fully warm (add fresh petrol) OR
You have too much oil or some wear somewhere and oil is getting where it
shouldn't, but once burnt off it's fine.

There's also a chance it has a sticky automatic choke or some choke
carb issue.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2014 18:50, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Is it Mountfield's own engine, like the one you cite, or a Briggs &
Stratton?

I know a bit about B&S engines but nothing about Mountfield - except
that their reputation isn't that wonderful.

I guess that they all work the same way, though - with a pretty crude
speed control device consisting of an engine-blown vane which tries to
close the throttle as the speed rises. If any debris gets under the
engine cover it can interfere with that and cause erratic running.

Otherwise, with fresh fuel and a clean plug, there's not too much to go
wrong.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2014 22:17, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

It is a Briggs & Stratton.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe scribbled...

Briggs & Stratton

There's loadsa stuff on Utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObEOfiBdSXk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:17:40 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Is it Mountfield's own engine, like the one you cite, or a Briggs &
Stratton?

Do Mountfield make engines? I have Mountfield branded mower but the
engine underneath the labels is a B&S.

I guess that they all work the same way, though - with a pretty crude
speed control device consisting of an engine-blown vane which tries to
close the throttle as the speed rises. If any debris gets under the
engine cover it can interfere with that and cause erratic running.

All very sloppy and balanced with slack springs.

Otherwise, with fresh fuel and a clean plug, there's not too much to go
wrong.

I think I'd be inclined to run it until almost empty and refill with
fresh fuel and see what happens. But if it's done 7 years without an
oil change or any TLC I'd give it a good clean around the throttle
linkages and springs (but if you take one off make sure you know
*exactly* how it's to go back). The blower and vane. Drain the oil
after a cutting session and refill with new clean. Take out the plug
clean and regap.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:52:22 +0100
Jabba wrote:

JoeJoe scribbled...

Briggs & Stratton

There's loadsa stuff on Utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObEOfiBdSXk

Briggs and Stratton also have a very good Support section on their
website, they respond to e-mailed questions. But make sure to check out
all possible Help/FAQs first.
-
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

You may need fresh petrol, an easy start component is in most petrols, it
evaporates after a while.
Best to drain fuel at the end of the year & put in fresh at the start.

If no different.
Always start with the spark plug, (Change/clean up). Easiest and most likely
thing to go wrong.
If you have never changed to oil, there may be accelarated wear allowing oil
to contaminate the plug.
Check the points, gap and cleanliness. (If magneto driven)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Treat the poor thing to some new oil and a new plug, it can only help.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2014 00:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:17:40 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Is it Mountfield's own engine, like the one you cite, or a Briggs&
Stratton?

Do Mountfield make engines? I have Mountfield branded mower but the
engine underneath the labels is a B&S.

I believe so. The link cited by the OP says "Powered by a Mountfield
100cc 4-stroke engine". Mountfield also use B&S engines on some models -
and then explicitly say so.

I don't know whether they actually manufacture the 'Mountfield' engines,
or re-badge someone else's - but they pretty certainly ain't B&S.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2014 22:58, JoeJoe wrote:
On 13/04/2014 22:17, Roger Mills wrote:

Is it Mountfield's own engine, like the one you cite, or a Briggs &
Stratton?

It is a Briggs & Stratton.

One fairly critical item on B&S engines is the diaphragm in the
carburettor, which serves as a fuel pump. If in doubt, replace that plus
the plug[1], add fresh fuel and make sure that the throttle linkage and
speed control vane are free of debris - and you should be away!

Look in the Yellow Pages for local mower repairers if you don't know of
any. They should be able to supply the necessary spares. [You won't get
them at Halfrauds!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I had a similar sounding problem with an el cheapo lawn-mower with a B&S
engine - sometimes ran fine, sometimes didn't. I ended up taking it
apart a couple of times, and the second time I noticed that a pipe had a
grove/hole worn into it by constant rubbing against an adjoining sharp
metal part. I wrapped some duct tape around the pipe and reassembled.
That fixed it for a while.

Might even have been this part:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Strat.../dp/B00524MTQC
as I have a record that I bought a replacement (but I never got around
to restripping the engine and fitting).

At least, I think this was the lawn-mower and not the strimmer...

I now have a Mountfield with a Honda engine, so I'm expecting better
things from that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2014 22:58, JoeJoe wrote:

It is a Briggs & Stratton.

Many years ago.... when I was doing my "agricultural mechanics"
apprenticeship.... 8¬o
New season non-starting was often cured by simply chucking a capfull of
petrol into the top of the carb. to free-off sticky diaphragm.

Failing that.... it was a full service.

Home made flywheel puller (bit of square steel with some bolts tapped in
- 3 around the edge and one in the centre) slight tension - gentle tap -
tension - tap - tension pop off she comes.
Plug, points, condensor, flywheel key, diaphragm, air-filter wash-out
and re-oil, and finally change the oil.
The flywheel key was quite often deformed (being made from aluminum)
which could throw out the timing enough to cause problems.

I doubt if any of the above is relevant these days though unless you
have an olden style engine.

Pete@
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Commercial Gym Equipment and Flooring Supplier to the elite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks all for your advice.

I think I'll start with the easiest suggestion - drain and fill with
fresh petrol. Never had a problem with that, but who knows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Just a quick follow up:

Finally found the time to replace the petrol in the tank with a fresh
one - machines works like a dream!

Many thanks again for all the help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

How big is the tank or how small is your lawn?? I have to top mine up
before ever mowing! ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:17:22 +0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Finally found the time to replace the petrol in the tank with a

fresh
one - machines works like a dream!

Thats the first time I've heard a first hand report of "old" petrol
giving problems in the UK.

How big is the tank or how small is your lawn?? I have to top mine up
before ever mowing! ;-)

For ours it'll either run out (from full) or be very nearly empty
depending on how long/wet the grass is. The tank looks to hold about
about a pint.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/14 10:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:17:22 +0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

Finally found the time to replace the petrol in the tank with a

fresh
one - machines works like a dream!

Thats the first time I've heard a first hand report of "old" petrol
giving problems in the UK.

No it aint.

I had that when I rebuilt my house. Mower sat there unused for a year
and a winter. Wouldn't start or run properly It was about 1/3d full of
old petrol. Filled topped up with new and after a few false starts it
coughed and spluttered and poured out lots of smoke and then settled
down to run as good as ever.

Battery was F88ed and it needed jump starting, but it got there in the end.

How big is the tank or how small is your lawn?? I have to top mine up
before ever mowing! ;-)

For ours it'll either run out (from full) or be very nearly empty
depending on how long/wet the grass is. The tank looks to hold about
about a pint.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Tek 11403 misbehaving Ancient_Hacker Electronics Repair 1 May 27th 09 07:27 PM
Gas oven misbehaving John Rumm UK diy 2 January 15th 07 09:48 PM
747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 14th 06 06:22 PM
trv misbehaving halfjobharry UK diy 2 March 23rd 05 02:51 PM