Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish EPG on satellite TV

Bought an LG TV with an LNB input. Astra 28.2 ish is the satellite I
wish to connect to.

The TV isn't Freesat and another one I have in use has an EPG that
sometimes displays the channel after you have viewed it. Then it is
only that channel for that time slot. I have occasionally had the
following program displayed but this is rare.

Is there any way of adding an EPG to a none Freesat device?

LNB inputs seem to have a low profile in many manufacturers lists of
attributes. Maybe the lack of an EPG is the reason?

Regards

HN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh neary wrote:

Is there any way of adding an EPG to a none Freesat device?

On 28.2E there are two EPGs (Sky's and FreeSat's) both of which are
encrypted so they aren't available to "bog standard" DVB-S1/S2 devices,
just the now/next info is available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2015 06:56, hugh neary wrote:
Bought an LG TV with an LNB input. Astra 28.2 ish is the satellite I
wish to connect to.

The TV isn't Freesat and another one I have in use has an EPG that
sometimes displays the channel after you have viewed it. Then it is
only that channel for that time slot. I have occasionally had the
following program displayed but this is rare.

Is there any way of adding an EPG to a none Freesat device?

LNB inputs seem to have a low profile in many manufacturers lists of
attributes. Maybe the lack of an EPG is the reason?

Likely the manufacturers don't wont the cost and difficulty of
incorporating the Freesat epq. One solution would be to use a separate
linux receiver.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:37:47 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

On 10/03/2015 06:56, hugh neary wrote:
Bought an LG TV with an LNB input. Astra 28.2 ish is the satellite I
wish to connect to.

The TV isn't Freesat and another one I have in use has an EPG that
sometimes displays the channel after you have viewed it. Then it is
only that channel for that time slot. I have occasionally had the
following program displayed but this is rare.

Is there any way of adding an EPG to a none Freesat device?

LNB inputs seem to have a low profile in many manufacturers lists of
attributes. Maybe the lack of an EPG is the reason?

Likely the manufacturers don't wont the cost and difficulty of
incorporating the Freesat epq. One solution would be to use a separate
linux receiver.

I thought it was probably something like that. Oddly enough every
satellite box carries an EPG although all those I have used are as
minimal as the LG.

Trying to find which TV had an LNB input was a major challenge. I
suppose Freeview has limited the appeal of Astra's freebies.

HN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:57:04 AM UTC, hugh neary wrote:
Bought an LG TV with an LNB input. Astra 28.2 ish is the satellite I
wish to connect to.

The TV isn't Freesat and another one I have in use has an EPG that
sometimes displays the channel after you have viewed it. Then it is
only that channel for that time slot. I have occasionally had the
following program displayed but this is rare.

attributes. Maybe the lack of an EPG is the reason?

Regards

HN

I've got a biggish LG with Freeview and Satellite (HD). Its remote has a "Guide" button which shows the EPG's (satellite takes a few minutes from cold).
There's also a "List" button that just shows the channel names, not programme content, but works instantly (nothing to download).

If your remote has similar buttons why woulldn't it not show an on-screen EPG.

rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:02:17 -0700 (PDT), therustyone
wrote:

[...]

The remote guide button shows an on screen EPG, but all it is is empty
timeslots. I can fill the current timeslot by opening the channel
[defeats the object a bit though]

An odd few boxes are filled in and exceptionally the next program
sometimes also. That's it though!

My TV was bought in Ireland, perhaps that makes a difference. I have a
new English Freeview LG now that I intend to take over, so I'll see if
theres a difference.

The Irish TV has never had a software u/g. I'll give this a try also.

I can't try the new LG here as I never had the incentive to stick a
dish up and conditions dont allow for a quick point & try

HN

---

Satellite Kit polygonum UK diy 21 November 22nd 12 01:00 PM
satellite bob UK diy 27 January 13th 10 11:44 AM
I just got satellite on my PC [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 12th 08 05:12 AM
DIY satellite tv Hugh UK diy 4 December 11th 05 12:04 PM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM