Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Noisy CPU fan

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If it's a standard desktop fan, just replace it - they're cheap enough.
They can be oiled but rarely works for long.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

Not sensible cures anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If a quick clean a drop of WD40 doesn't fix it then replace ASAP.

Bearings are probably about to fail and a CPU with a stalled fan doesn't
last very long before it overheats. The chip dissipation has a power
density that is roughly the same as the tip of a soldering iron.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

I squirted WD40 in the crack between the fan hub and the motor base.
Fixed it, running OK now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

Unless its something very special, replace it with a quality ball
bearing fan. (you can just swap the fan rather than the whole heatsink
if you like)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bod" wrote in message
On 12/02/2015 10:07, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If a quick clean a drop of WD40 doesn't fix it then replace ASAP.

Bearings are probably about to fail and a CPU with a stalled fan doesn't
last very long before it overheats. The chip dissipation has a power
density that is roughly the same as the tip of a soldering iron.

BTW, WD40 is a solvent, *not* a really lubricant. It'll wash away
lubricants.

It's a lubricant, solvent and moisture dispersent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/15 09:37, fred wrote:
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

Peel off the sticker and add a drop of light oil to the end of the
bearing. That'll give it a bit more life.

But it will not last that much longer, so replacement is best longer term.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott M
writes
fred wrote:
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If it's a standard desktop fan, just replace it - they're cheap enough.
They can be oiled but rarely works for long.

I've certainly rejuvenated a totally seized-up ridged PSU fan by
re-lubricating it. The first time, I used WD40, but after a couple of
years, and although it was still running OK, I decided I'd better re-do
it with 3-in-1.

After its initial seizing, the fan had at least 6 years daily use - and
although that PC was essentially pensioned off a couple of years ago, it
still works fine when I give it the occasional boot up for old-time's
sake.

The trouble is that it's often difficult to get a replacement fan which
is both quiet and can shift at least the same amount of air, so I've
also re-lubricated a few other fans (including CPU) that sounded a bit
noisy, or simply 'just in case'.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bod
writes
On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If a quick clean a drop of WD40 doesn't fix it then replace ASAP.

Bearings are probably about to fail and a CPU with a stalled fan doesn't
last very long before it overheats. The chip dissipation has a power
density that is roughly the same as the tip of a soldering iron.

BTW, WD40 is a solvent, *not* a really lubricant. It'll wash away
lubricants.

We've had this argument before. For the true story, simply Google
"WD40".
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If a quick clean a drop of WD40 doesn't fix it then replace ASAP.

Bearings are probably about to fail and a CPU with a stalled fan doesn't
last very long before it overheats. The chip dissipation has a power
density that is roughly the same as the tip of a soldering iron.

BTW, WD40 is a solvent, *not* a really lubricant. It'll wash away
lubricants.

I use WD40 to wash out the dried lubricant and clean up the bearing,
before re-oiling it (with oil, not WD40).

Note that this is a short term fix only. This happens when the original
oil which is soaked in to the phosphor bronze bearing has dried up, and
you can't get new oil into it - the pores are all blocked with dried
gunk, so you're limited by the small amount of oil you can get to coat
the surface.

If the bearing has run dry long enough to wear the hole, it's not going
to be even temporarily repairable.

--
Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

[...]

A colleague used to repair fans on Tektronics 'scopes by soaking the
bearing in 3-in-one oil over a weekend. It gave it time for the oil to get
properly absorbed.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/02/2015 09:37, fred wrote:

Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

If a quick clean a drop of WD40 doesn't fix it then replace ASAP.

WD40 isn't ideal, it's not designed to be a long term lubricant.

Use 3-in-1 oil or something similar.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 9:38:01 AM UTC, fred wrote:
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

No, replace it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles writes:

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
I use WD40 to wash out the dried lubricant and clean up the bearing,
before re-oiling it (with oil, not WD40).

Note that this is a short term fix only. This happens when the original
oil which is soaked in to the phosphor bronze bearing has dried up, and
you can't get new oil into it - the pores are all blocked with dried
gunk, so you're limited by the small amount of oil you can get to coat
the surface.

If the bearing has run dry long enough to wear the hole, it's not going
to be even temporarily repairable.

A colleague used to repair fans on Tektronics 'scopes by soaking the
bearing in 3-in-one oil over a weekend. It gave it time for the oil to get
properly absorbed.

During manufacture, the bearing and oil are heated to reduce viscocity,
and it goes through a vacuum cycle under oil (possibly more than one)
to help force the oil into the bearing. You could try to mimic that.
However, I suspect the pores themselves will already be compromised if
you are starting with a dried out bearing.

Geoff (CTL) has mentioned what the oil is because he uses it, but it is
only available in large containers so not viable unless you are doing
loads of them.

--
Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , harryagain
writes

"fred" wrote in message
Any cures for a noisy CPU fan, apart from a replacement ?

I squirted WD40 in the crack between the fan hub and the motor base.
Fixed it, running OK now

Yikes!

The proper way is to remove the fan, peel off the 'spec' label at the
centre (hub?), prise out the rubber plug to reveal the bearing and the
end of the spindle, and add a single drop of oil.

If possible, power up the fan to encourage the oil to spread into the
bearing. Beware that, if you've over-oiled it, it will probably splatter
oil all over the place, so first wrap and an old cloth or some tissue
paper loosely around the fan.

If the oil in the bearing seems to have disappeared, you might chance a
second drop - but don't overdo it.

If all seems well, clean all traces of oil from the face of the hub,
insert the rubber plug (which will probably cause a little oil to be
exuded), re-clean the face of the hub, and re-stick the spec label. [If
the label has been damaged, cut some duct tape to the same size, and
stick that on first. This will prevent any oil seeping out.]

Again, power up the fan, and check that oil isn't being sprayed around
(if it is, you'll need to clean things up), then refit. With luck, it
will give you several further years of trouble-free service.

--
Ian

Noisy TRV (was Noisy Radiator) Bob H UK diy 7 October 14th 14 06:16 PM
Noisy TRV DerbyBorn[_3_] UK diy 11 October 3rd 12 08:24 AM
Noisy AC Augustine Home Repair 4 June 14th 06 10:54 PM
Noisy Tap not available UK diy 1 February 22nd 06 08:04 AM
noisy DIY Steve UK diy 34 July 15th 05 06:49 PM