Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tank Installation (was Domestic heating oil tank blockage)

On 06/02/2015 19:27, Bruno wrote:
On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 09:32:59 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

The only reason it needs to be raised off the ground is for a full
gravity feed system to ensure the oil level is higher than the intake -
otherwise you have to use a weird oil lifter like mine or a tiger loop.
It means having one more thing to go wrong.

There's already a tiger loop in circuit. No idea what they do, but the
bloke who fitted the boiler told me I should have one.
I'd like the next tank off the ground so I can syphon out the dregs/water
principally, but the extra pressure will certainly be welcome too.

Remember that any replacement tank today will almost certainly have to
be a bunded one and at least twice the volume = 1.3x linear dimensions.

"Bunded" - I've heard that term a lot. Isn't it just a fancy word for
"double-skinned"? What benefit does it confer?
Just curious....

It is in essence a tank within a tank so that if the fuel leaks it is
still contained and in theory an alarm goes off. I wonder about how well
it will work in practice since to my eyes the outer bunding tank is
exposed to UV, sunshine and rapid temperature changes and will become
age embrittled long before the inner tank fails.

You basically have a tank where only half of the volume holds fuel.

At least with a plastic tank it doesn't quietly etch away from the
inside water boundary until one day it fails catastrophically.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Martin Brown
It is in essence a tank within a tank so that if the fuel leaks it is
still contained and in theory an alarm goes off. /q

No alarm on mine or others I know of....

Jim K