Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tank Installation (was Domestic heating oil tank blockage)

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 20:36:21 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 19:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Bruno wrote:

I'd like the next tank off the ground so I can syphon out the
dregs/water principally,

So infrequent as to be not worth worrying about. As others have said
you can get something ona bit of string that you lob in, it absorbs
the water then you pull it out. Filters take care of any cack that
gets to the outlet for the few hours after a filling has given it a
good stir.

... but the extra pressure will certainly be welcome too.

Pumps will lift a bit, the tricky bit is getting air out of the line
if the level is low or below that of the pump.

"Bunded" - I've heard that term a lot. Isn't it just a fancy word
for "double-skinned"? What benefit does it confer?

A "bund" is a leak proof secondary containment that can hold the
entire contents of the primary containment. If you look at large
storage tanks they will have a built surround to contain the full
contents of the tank(s) should there be a leak. A bunded tank is a
bit more than just double skined. The requirement is there to stop up
to 2,500 l (in our case) of kerosene getting into ("polluting") the
enviroment.

Before I entered the world of domestic heating oil, 'bund' meant the
riverbank in Shanghai, where I was in 1988.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bund

--
Davey.