Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weatherproofing a doorbell push

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 5:05:02 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 05:10:59 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Scion" wrote in message
Hi all,

Got a wireless doorbell push that has stopped working - looks a little
corroded inside. I'm going to clean it up and resolder any dodgy
looking
joints, once this is done what's the best way of preventing more
corrosion? Some spray-on or brush-on gunk that is OK with electronics
and
plastics.

There's various options out there but can anyone recommend something in
particular?

I'm in the camp of those who gave up on wireless ... sort of. I was fortunate in having a cable already in place, and had found that the problem with the wireless pushbutton I had was the build up a crud between the two button cells.

So I cleaned it up and connected it to the far end of the cable up in the attic and fitted a nice old fashioned bell push at the front door. Not only has this worked perfectly for about 5 years, but the radio link now works all over the house so the bell can be moved to where it can be heard.

Rob