Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default An LED success story...

As some may of gathered,I'm not a fan of either CFL or LED as
straighfroward replacements for tungsten. At least where the quality of
light matters to me. So as such I have near enough neither indoors. Not
much point in paying for an expensive lamp when it's just going in a
cupboard. ;-)

But I do have CFLs as outside lights. Bit of a pain in this weather as
they take so long to get up to full brightness.

I have two above the front door - needed to get the sort of light level I
wanted, and to give a reasonable life and low energy costs.

And they've been ok - and have lasted pretty well as claimed. Probably
because they run cool being outdoors.

One failed the other day, so I decided to replace the pair with LEDs.

Got a pair of cool white 9w BC from LEDhut. And they seem just as bright
as they claim - for once.

I chose cool white as it looks a bit like a shaft of moonlight coming in
through the fanlight. ;-)

Be interesting to see just how long they last. I've noted the purchase
date and put the receipt somewhere safe.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Have you considered gas lights?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Find LED,s ok for outside use but useless as replacement for a 40watt
wall lights ( 5W )golfball. Shadow on half the shade and poor light.
If original fittings are designed for LED's then no problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 15:33:37 -0000
"harryagain" wrote:

Have you considered gas lights?

Had one of those in a Kansas City rental. It just burned, and burned,
and burned........day and night.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:

Find LED,s ok for outside use but useless as replacement for a 40watt
wall lights ( 5W )golfball. Shadow on half the shade and poor light.
If original fittings are designed for LED's then no problem.

Well, yes. If they are sold as tungsten replacements they should be just
that. And so much lighting these days in a house is part illumination,
part effect.

If all you want is illumination, fluorescent tubes are probably still as
good as anything. But if you want something more subtle - as most will in
a house - I'm not happy with something inferior to tungsten - just because
it claims to save some pennies.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Have you considered gas lights?

Now that's an idea. Sadly I removed all the pipework when re-wiring, etc.

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Have you considered gas lights?

Now that's an idea. Sadly I removed all the pipework when re-wiring, etc.

When I fitted a new light in the livingroom, it was rather heavy, so
was suspended from the joists above - and when I took up the floor board
to fit it, I found some old piping and ... lots of scorch marks and soot
on the laths surrounding the rose...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson writes:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Have you considered gas lights?

Now that's an idea. Sadly I removed all the pipework when re-wiring, etc.

When I fitted a new light in the livingroom, it was rather heavy, so
was suspended from the joists above - and when I took up the floor board
to fit it, I found some old piping and ... lots of scorch marks and soot
on the laths surrounding the rose...

Pipes were throughout my first 1909 house (electricity didn't arrive
in the road until 1927). I would love to have found some of the
gas lamps dumped in the attic or under the floor, but sadly all
that was there were some of the original wiring accessories which
had been ripped out and dumped there in the 1970s. The gas pipes
were still 'live', but I disconnected all the original gas pipework.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Pipes were throughout my first 1909 house (electricity didn't arrive
in the road until 1927). I would love to have found some of the
gas lamps dumped in the attic or under the floor, but sadly all
that was there were some of the original wiring accessories which
had been ripped out and dumped there in the 1970s. The gas pipes
were still 'live', but I disconnected all the original gas pipework.

I was surprised to find some of mine was still live too. Used at least
some of the notches they'd cut into the joists for central heating pipes.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:28:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Got a pair of cool white 9w BC from LEDhut. And they seem just as bright
as they claim - for once.

I chose cool white as it looks a bit like a shaft of moonlight coming in
through the fanlight. ;-)

Be interesting to see just how long they last. I've noted the purchase
date and put the receipt somewhere safe.

I've found LEDhut to be ok at changing leds that haven't lasted. They
have a five-year warranty and you can look up past transactions in
your account on the website so no need to look for paperwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got a pair of cool white 9w BC from LEDhut. And they seem just as bright
as they claim - for once.

I chose cool white as it looks a bit like a shaft of moonlight coming in
through the fanlight. ;-)

Be interesting to see just how long they last. I've noted the purchase
date and put the receipt somewhere safe.

I've found LEDhut to be ok at changing leds that haven't lasted. They
have a five-year warranty and you can look up past transactions in
your account on the website so no need to look for paperwork.

Good to know - I'm more used to the Lidl principle. ;-)

As a matter of interest, does a 9 watt LED consume exactly 9W from 240v?

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-02-03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

As some may of gathered,I'm not a fan of either CFL or LED as
straighfroward replacements for tungsten. At least where the quality of
light matters to me. So as such I have near enough neither indoors. Not
much point in paying for an expensive lamp when it's just going in a
cupboard. ;-)

But I do have CFLs as outside lights. Bit of a pain in this weather as
they take so long to get up to full brightness.

I know what you mean, but I used to find that incandescents didn't
last long in motion-sensor lights. I think the warm-up time is less
inconvenient than having to change the lamps more frequently in the
dark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 2:30:11 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

I write the installation date on the bulb before I put it in for these reasons.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-02-09, Jonathan wrote:

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 2:30:11 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Be interesting to see just how long they last. I've noted the purchase
date and put the receipt somewhere safe.

I write the installation date on the bulb before I put it in for these reasons.

That's a good tip. Thanks.

OT/ A Success Story ChairMan Woodworking 2 September 4th 10 12:05 AM
STORY OF SUCCESS... avtar Woodworking 1 January 29th 07 10:44 PM
STORY OF SUCCESS... [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 29th 07 03:35 PM
STORY OF WEALTH , SUCCESS AND LOVE avtar Woodworking 0 January 24th 07 01:28 PM
STORY OF WEALTH , SUCCESS AND LOVE [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 24th 07 01:27 PM