Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help with screw length / width / types

Hi, I have a really basic question that I hope you can help with. I have an Ikea Mulig Clothes Bar, link hehttp://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30179435/

It's going to be fixed to a brick wall, will be around 75 cm across and bear a reasonable amount of weight of clothing - the bar itself can take 15kg apparently .

Please can you advise on the length and width of screws I should use? The diameter of the screw holes in the bar are 6mm but ideally I'd like to go smaller to allow for slight drilling errors! Thanks so much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2015 18:49, wrote:
Hi, I have a really basic question that I hope you can help with. I have an Ikea Mulig Clothes Bar, link he
http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30179435/

It's going to be fixed to a brick wall, will be around 75 cm across and bear a reasonable amount of weight of clothing - the bar itself can take 15kg apparently .

Please can you advise on the length and width of screws I should use? The diameter of the screw holes in the bar are 6mm but ideally I'd like to go smaller to allow for slight drilling errors! Thanks so much.

I'd probably use 2" No 10 screws (or 50mm x 5mm if metric)

Use heavy duty plastic wall plugs - for which you'll need to drill 7 or
7.5mm holes in the brick.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/15 18:49, wrote:
Hi, I have a really basic question that I hope you can help with. I have an Ikea Mulig Clothes Bar, link he
http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30179435/

It's going to be fixed to a brick wall, will be around 75 cm across and bear a reasonable amount of weight of clothing - the bar itself can take 15kg apparently .

Please can you advise on the length and width of screws I should use? The diameter of the screw holes in the bar are 6mm but ideally I'd like to go smaller to allow for slight drilling errors! Thanks so much.

5mm 50mm long screws - preferably "woodscrews" rather than goldscrews
etc as the former are tapered so tend to do up tighter in the plug.

Those will hold way in excess of your load. I say 50mm as then you'll
get past the plaster and well into the bricks.

Use decent plugs - eg Fischer S type. Blue regular plugs are OK if the
bricks are solid and non flakey, but I still prefer Fischer for plugs
where it matters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer...S-Plug_8mm.jpg

Sold by either Toolsatan or Screwfix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks both, so I should drill at 7.5mm, use the 50mm/5mm screws and squish in Fischer S 8mm wall plugs? Does that sound about right?

It a wall on a 1930's semi, so it is slightly crumbly, decent wallplugs and a good fit are a must!

Thanks so much, cheers Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi, I have a really basic question that I hope you can help with. I have an Ikea Mulig Clo

thes Bar, link he
http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30179435/

It's going to be fixed to a brick wall, will be around 75 cm across and bear a reason

able amount of weight of clothing - the bar itself can take 15kg
apparently .

Please can you advise on the length and width of screws I should use? The diameter o

f the screw holes in the bar are 6mm but ideally I'd like to go smaller
to allow for slight drilling errors! Thanks so much.

Is the wall plastered? If so use longer screws that have been suggested.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes it's skimmed, not thick though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2015 19:36, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/01/15 18:49, wrote:
[...]

I'm a huge fan of the Rawlplug "UNO" plugs. Work in just about
anything, really strong fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To clear dust from a drilled hole in masonry you can put a bendy straw
in the hole and gently blow it out. Gently so you don't fill the room
with brick dust and bendy so you're not blowing it back in your face.

Good idea

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys ended up drilling at 7mm having started with 5mm and gradually widened - bit of a crumbly wall so 7mm probs ended up around 8 anyway! 50mm x 5mm screws and brown Rawlplugs. V secure despite some less than perfect drilling, thanks all.