Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What type of door closer is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2015 18:09, Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

It is a push side mounting door closer, rather than a pull side mounting
door closer.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door
to most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

Any ideas?

Probably the name has changed in today's times - and since I fittted my last
one years ago, but I have always known them simply as "overhead door
closers".

Having just googled that term, it would appear that they are still called
that.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2015 18:18, Cash wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door
to most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

Any ideas?

Probably the name has changed in today's times - and since I fittted my last
one years ago, but I have always known them simply as "overhead door
closers".

Having just googled that term, it would appear that they are still called
that.

Thanks, that is the generic term, but Colin has explained the two types,
"push side" and "pull side".

This animation indicates the subtlety.
http://www.stanleydoorclosers.com/index.asp?Mode=D4550

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

On 25/01/2015 18:09, Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

It is a push side mounting door closer, rather than a pull side mounting
door closer.

The closers are effectively the same.
For 'inside' mounting you use a 'parallell arm' kit.

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk writes:
On 25/01/2015 18:09, Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

It is a push side mounting door closer, rather than a pull side mounting
door closer.

The other option is if the closer is mounted on the door or the
other way up on the transom (top door frame). The last one I
bought could be fitted in many of these ways (possibly all).

If it's closing a fire door where protection on one side is more
important than the other (such as a fire door between a garage
and house), it's better to fit the closer on the house side,
although fireproof closers are available for more money.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2015 20:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk writes:
On 25/01/2015 18:09, Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

It is a push side mounting door closer, rather than a pull side mounting
door closer.

The other option is if the closer is mounted on the door or the
other way up on the transom (top door frame). The last one I
bought could be fitted in many of these ways (possibly all).

It looks like a cheap toolstation closer
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safe...+Size+3/p72799

They work on either side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2015 20:58, Dennis@home wrote:
On 25/01/2015 20:02, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here.me.uk writes:
On 25/01/2015 18:09, Fredxxx wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_cl...oor_closer.jpg

The significance is that the closer is on the other side of the door to
most closers like this

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repa...e1-600x600.jpg

which are typically on the opening side.

It is a push side mounting door closer, rather than a pull side mounting
door closer.

The other option is if the closer is mounted on the door or the
other way up on the transom (top door frame). The last one I
bought could be fitted in many of these ways (possibly all).

It looks like a cheap toolstation closer
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safe...+Size+3/p72799

They work on either side.

Yes, it comes with "Parallel arm bracket included"!

Storm door closer piston isn't holding to door properly trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 5 July 25th 08 12:21 PM
Removing a door fitted with a door closer DavidM UK diy 5 November 28th 07 10:09 AM
Which door closer? Wally UK diy 3 June 5th 07 09:00 PM
Door closer butterfly UK diy 11 March 21st 07 10:14 AM
Door opener/closer for small (12" square?) door [email protected] UK diy 10 May 24th 05 10:58 AM