Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Miele washing problem

SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/15 20:04, fred wrote:
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

I cannot think of anything in a washing machine that would cause that,
apart from perhaps:

Is the heater working?

Is it taking on enough water?

Even then, being a Miele, I would expect it just to throw a hissy fit
and sulk with an error light.

It's not like a dishwasher where the arms can get blocked or sticky and
not rotate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote

SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not
washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same
detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this

Maybe the detergent formulation has changed.

or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

Certainly possible and impossible to prove.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
I cannot think of anything in a washing machine that would cause that,
apart from perhaps:

Is the heater working?

Is it taking on enough water?

Is it one of those that weighs the washing, and is the weighing sensor
working? If not it could be underfilling.

Does it take the same length of time as it always did?

It's not like a dishwasher where the arms can get blocked or sticky and
not rotate.

Worth throwing some scrap clothes in it and doing a boil wash to clean it
out?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 8:04:32 PM UTC, fred wrote:
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

accumulation of crap. Do a monthly acid or alkali boil wash to keep on top of this. If its built up it can take many alternating acid/alkali cleans

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2015 20:04, fred wrote:
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

I got an LG washing machine given to me not working, I fixed it (speed
sensor on the direct drive drum) and all appeared well.

Later on I thought there was a slight leak from the door seal, so I too
it out to inspect - I found there was a sprayer built into it, that was
supposed to be pumping water over the wash as the drum rotated, but as I
had not had it when that was working, I didn't know that, as it was
solidly blocked up (and it explains the pump noise when washing I
couldn't really understand!).

Now this has been unclogged, it seems to be washing better than it did,
does yours have such a sprinkler that is clogged?

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Worth throwing some scrap clothes in it and doing a boil wash to clean it
out?

It's worth doing a high temp wash (most do 90C max) every now and then
simply as general maintenance.

Have you taken out the soap-powder drawer & cleaned it out? They
sometimes get really gunged up & that can affect performance.

If it's a nine year old Miele, it's only a baby.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/15 23:38, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Worth throwing some scrap clothes in it and doing a boil wash to clean it
out?

It's worth doing a high temp wash (most do 90C max) every now and then
simply as general maintenance.

What we do is do a boil once a week with towels and bathmats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good
as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the
clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new
machine?

It may not be pumping out fully so leaving dirty water behind (Though there
is a pressure switch should prevent this.)
There is a little hatch on the bottm LH side (front of the machine) prises
open.
Behind is a cover you can remeve to clean the drain filter/check waste pump
is free to rotate. (No tools needed) Needs cleaning every four or five
years, Make sure seling surfaces are clean so there areno leaks.
May affect performance if badly bunged up.

There is also a loose rubber pipe for draining the machine down and a cable
you can pull to open the machine door if there's a problem behind this
hatch.

Also check water level of machine (look at glass door)
Check belt is tight ie not slipping.

Check water temperatures, hand on glass door & make estimate.

They change the composition of detergents even if it's in the same box. All
about saving money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also check water level of machine (look at glass door)
Check belt is tight ie not slipping.

Check water temperatures, hand on glass door & make estimate.

They change the composition of detergents even if it's in the same
box. All about saving money.

Belt check is a good idea.
We had problems once with motor brushes - but just watching the machine
made me realise it was not rotating - but it was going through the cycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2015 20:04, fred wrote:
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

Another thing to check is that the exhaust pump is working properly and
clearing all the water from the machine each time it needs to.

If, as happened with my Hoover w/m, the pump is running but at reduced
power this is not particularly obvious.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 21/01/2015 22:33, Toby wrote:

I got an LG washing machine given to me not working, I fixed it (speed
sensor on the direct drive drum) and all appeared well.

Later on I thought there was a slight leak from the door seal, so I too
it out to inspect - I found there was a sprayer built into it, that was
supposed to be pumping water over the wash as the drum rotated, but as I
had not had it when that was working, I didn't know that, as it was
solidly blocked up (and it explains the pump noise when washing I
couldn't really understand!).

Ours did that as well, along with the pump screaming
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 4:02:46 PM UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 21/01/2015 20:04, fred wrote:
SWMBO claims her 9About 10 year old)Miele washing is not washing as good as it used to do. Same programmes, same detergent, but not washing the clothes as good as it once did

What, if anything, could cause this or is it possibly a ploy to get a new machine?

Another thing to check is that the exhaust pump is working properly and
clearing all the water from the machine each time it needs to.

If, as happened with my Hoover w/m, the pump is running but at reduced
power this is not particularly obvious.

--
Michael Chare

A short update.

I passed on relevant suggestions to herself and have heard no more since. Let sleeping dogs lie !