Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop task lighting

Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/15 15:08, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

1 or 2 of these:

http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/en/pr...led-floodlight

Compared to the various ****ty halogen lamps and odd bulkheads on flex I
have been through and broken, this is my best and most useful purchase ever.

I screwed it to my shed roof temporarily when I needed to make up my
cold water manifold and do a load of soldering in November.

I'm thinking you could fashion some sort of sets brackets of hooks in
various locations so it shines down in a way that you don't obscure your
own light.

Plus you have a very capable task light - great for checking car tyre
pressures at night, or lighting the coal shed when retrieving another sack.

The light is clean and daylight style, battery run time is good and it
is happy to run off it's charger (has a mains and 12V charger lead
supplied).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

My favourite is an anglepoise with 150 watt halogen. ;-)

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2015 15:08, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

I've got a lighting bar above my workbench which carries four low
voltage halogen spots - each with swivel mount with 2 degrees of freedom
and built-in transformer. I can usually manage to point at least some of
those at whatever I need to illuminate. I've no idea whether they're
still available - I bought mine for a song at a car boot sale nearly 10
years ago.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of 5' ones in a
12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where you end up working in your
own shadow. Any good suggestions for task lighting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TORCH-ULTRA-.../dp/B00CCSWO2A

For reading-off of measurements etc. the above are readily available in Poundworld.
Or were at least until a while ago.

They may be available in other Poundshop chains as well

The headbands are rubbish but then I substituted a more substantial headband from
a far less efficient headlight costing around £4 IIRR. The brackets holding the headband
can be a bit fragile when installing a bettter headband

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-01-18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/01/15 15:08, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

1 or 2 of these:

http://www.nightsearcher.co.uk/en/pr...led-floodlight

I just acquired (out of a skip) one of those stands with 2 x 1kW halogens on
the top. Swapped the plug for a 240V one (it had what I assume was a 110V
thingy), replaced the dead bulbs, checked the wiring and gave it a good
clean and Robert is your father's brother.

I've used it twice already in the few weeks I've had it. Should have got
one years ago.

Yup got one of those - nice for if you have to do work outside this time
of year as well, as the kW of radiated heat can be nice. Bit OTT for
what I have in mind (see my cut line on the bandsaw or what I am
drilling on the drill press etc)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2015 16:51, Roger Mills wrote:
On 18/01/2015 15:08, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

I've got a lighting bar above my workbench which carries four low
voltage halogen spots - each with swivel mount with 2 degrees of freedom
and built-in transformer. I can usually manage to point at least some of
those at whatever I need to illuminate. I've no idea whether they're
still available - I bought mine for a song at a car boot sale nearly 10
years ago.

I did consider a track light with some 50W halogens on it - I could
point them at the fixed tools...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2015 16:59, michael adams wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of 5' ones in a
12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where you end up working in your
own shadow. Any good suggestions for task lighting?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TORCH-ULTRA-.../dp/B00CCSWO2A

For reading-off of measurements etc. the above are readily available in Poundworld.
Or were at least until a while ago.

They may be available in other Poundshop chains as well

The headbands are rubbish but then I substituted a more substantial headband from
a far less efficient headlight costing around £4 IIRR. The brackets holding the headband
can be a bit fragile when installing a bettter headband

That's not a bad idea actually... I am a fan of head torches generally,
and having one on a hook, dedicated to the workshop might do it rather
than pinching one out of a toolbox and then finding it missing when I
want it later.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

My favourite is an anglepoise with 150 watt halogen. ;-)

Anglepoise lamps were the standard task lights in my factories, although
I found 60W reflector spot lamps to be adequate.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

I acquired a modern twin 5' 58W office light with highly polished
reflector (Ebay, £10 for that and an even better one), and it
hangs from the ceiling 1m above my electronics workbench.
Gives 1400-1500 lux at the workbench surface when warmed up.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Axminster do several magnetic lights one of which I keep on the drill press. It can be bent into the best position.

I also use magnifying light on the edge of one of the work areas.

I mounted a cheap Ikea anglepoise type lamp in the band saw.

My initial reaction to the ops query was to add another few fluorescents. I find them the best for shadowless lighting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

These are pretty handy, for £8.50, though I guess other suppliers
do similar.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40370283/

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 3:08:13 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

Most folk install fluoros as bare downlighters. If this is how it is, simply moving them so they uplight a white ceilng can make quite a difference.

Task lighting... so many options, most already covered. Not mentioned yet: old fashioned droplight, small fl (eg 13w), or 3w LED in a bulbholder on a wire is better. 1kW halogen is way OTT as a tasklight - it might even suit Brian. For a fixed task only needing dim light, a string of xmas lights can be very effective, and only £1.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2015 12:48, fred wrote:
Axminster do several magnetic lights one of which I keep on the drill
press. It can be bent into the best position.

I also use magnifying light on the edge of one of the work areas.

I mounted a cheap Ikea anglepoise type lamp in the band saw.

My initial reaction to the ops query was to add another few
fluorescents. I find them the best for shadowless lighting.

To be fair the thought had crossed my mind - I even have a couple of
spare fittings - trouble is finding space to put them. The ideal place
would be on the side wall where the darkest bits are - but that also has
a set of timber storage brackets on it, which would shadow the important
bits. Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2015 14:41, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

These are pretty handy, for £8.50, though I guess other suppliers
do similar.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40370283/

That's not a bad price I suppose - do they stay where you point them?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 19/01/2015 14:41, Chris J Dixon wrote:

These are pretty handy, for £8.50, though I guess other suppliers
do similar.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40370283/

That's not a bad price I suppose - do they stay where you point them?

The one I have, which must be 20 years old now, seems to behave
itself quite well.

In a different garage, even longer ago, I used a dodge I had seen
elsewhere, by suspending a lamp holder from a runner on a length
of scrap curtain track, with a few more runners supporting the
cable. It had only one degree of freedom, but it was useful at
zero cost.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 12:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

I would have thought that was more decorative than practical illumination?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 14:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 12:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

I would have thought that was more decorative than practical illumination?

Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 January 2015 14:42:12 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 20/01/2015 14:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 12:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

I would have thought that was more decorative than practical illumination?

Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto the
tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 14:47, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 January 2015 14:42:12 UTC, Bod wrote:
On 20/01/2015 14:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 12:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

I would have thought that was more decorative than practical illumination?

Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto the
tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Oh, please excuse my flippancy. Interesting, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:23:57 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/01/2015 12:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Might be able to squeeze in some of those link lights as used
under kitchen cabinets.

LED tape and speaker cable

I would have thought that was more decorative than practical illumination?

I used to think that t hen I tried a bit for under cupboard lighting
and was suitably impressed.

Just put 2 2.5M strips in a utility room and it's perfectly adequate
ilumination, and that was a cheap ebay strip with LEDs of dubious
performance.

These
http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/12v-5-...ight-600-led-s
claims to have 2160 lumens per metre output. If it's true should be
quite bright.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Just checked, I like them. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 16:39, Bod wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Just checked, I like them. Thanks.

A friend has used it for things like lights round the perimeter of a
large mirror, and above a picture rail for gentle up lighting. Quite
effective (if a little "blue", but not really the kind of illumination I
need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2015 17:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Bod wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed
onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Just checked, I like them. Thanks.

A friend has used it for things like lights round the perimeter of a
large mirror, and above a picture rail for gentle up lighting. Quite
effective (if a little "blue", but not really the kind of illumination I
need.

Yes, I think putting them around a dressing table mirror would be ideal.
I may change the lights for the D T mirror to these LEDs instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:09:08 PM UTC, Bod wrote:
On 20/01/2015 17:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Bod wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Also, what is this *LED tape*? ;-(

A google image search should answer that.

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed
onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Just checked, I like them. Thanks.

A friend has used it for things like lights round the perimeter of a
large mirror, and above a picture rail for gentle up lighting. Quite
effective (if a little "blue", but not really the kind of illumination I
need.

For under shelf lighting , short range , 5050 LED tape is not a bad bet for filling in dark spots and areas where your in your own shadow. Its also very low profile and practically indestructable. For higher intensity Toolsatan`s range of economy T5 strips are pretty good, but not indestructable ;-)

Yes, I think putting them around a dressing table mirror would be ideal.
I may change the lights for the D T mirror to these LEDs instead.

For a dressing table use something that says Warm White,colours can appear slightly differnt under LED of any colour , something to be aware of with colour critical tasks like makeup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
For a dressing table use something that says Warm White,colours can
appear slightly differnt under LED of any colour , something to be aware
of with colour critical tasks like makeup.

And for a workbench unless its use is restricted to sawing up logs for the
fire. ;-)

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2015 12:10, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:09:08 PM UTC, Bod wrote:
On 20/01/2015 17:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/01/2015 16:39, Bod wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

I would have thought that light in the daylight spectrum would've been
more suitable....no?
I have changed every light in the house to daylight bulbs and found them
to be far superior. I compared the old incandescents to the daylight
ones and the incandescents looked very yellow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:36:35 PM UTC, Bod wrote:
d have thought that light in the daylight spectrum would've been
more suitable....no?
I have changed every light in the house to daylight bulbs and found them
to be far superior. I compared the old incandescents to the daylight
ones and the incandescents looked very yellow.

It`s high colour temperature which isn`t same as spectrum, higher CT number quoted in Kelvin K, bluer the light appears, personally think higher temp needs to be matched with high intensity to not look like a grey day.

Cool CT generally not very flattering on skin tones, cheap warm white LED can be like cheap fluro and have a bit of a green cast though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Adds up to between 360 and 1440 lumens per metre ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2015 23:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:

It's lots of little LEDs on a flexible tape with conductors printed onto
the tape, and a connector on the end of the tape.

Which will give lots of little light. ;-)

Adds up to between 360 and 1440 lumens per metre ...

How much does it strobe?
They still use tungsten on most machines because of the strobe effect of
most alternatives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
How much does it strobe?
They still use tungsten on most machines because of the strobe effect of
most alternatives.

LEDs work basically on DC. Although it may be pulsed for some
applications. But at a much higher frequency than mains. Any decent modern
fluorescent light also runs at a much higher frequency than mains.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 4:03:49 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 3:08:13 PM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Although my workshop is not badly lit (couple of 8' tubes, and a pair of
5' ones in a 12'x17' space) - it still has dark corners or places where
you end up working in your own shadow. Any good suggestions for task
lighting?

Most folk install fluoros as bare downlighters. If this is how it is, simply moving them so they uplight a white ceilng can make quite a difference.

Task lighting... so many options, most already covered. Not mentioned yet: old fashioned droplight, small fl (eg 13w), or 3w LED in a bulbholder on a wire is better. 1kW halogen is way OTT as a tasklight - it might even suit Brian. For a fixed task only needing dim light, a string of xmas lights can be very effective, and only £1.

NT

Incidentally 'Fine Woodworking' have a lot of articles on Shop Lighting on their site but you have to be a member to access them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
How much does it strobe?
They still use tungsten on most machines because of the strobe effect of
most alternatives.

LEDs work basically on DC. Although it may be pulsed for some
applications. But at a much higher frequency than mains. Any decent modern
fluorescent light also runs at a much higher frequency than mains.

They may be DC but if its derived from chopping mains it may still
strobe. I doubt if they smooth the output much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
How much does it strobe? They still use tungsten on most machines
because of the strobe effect of most alternatives.

LEDs work basically on DC. Although it may be pulsed for some
applications. But at a much higher frequency than mains. Any decent
modern fluorescent light also runs at a much higher frequency than
mains.

They may be DC but if its derived from chopping mains it may still
strobe. I doubt if they smooth the output much.

An LED switches on and off pretty well instantly - unlike say tungsten. If
you do run them from an unsmoothed DC supply derived from mains via a
transformer and rectifier, the flicker is extremely annoying.

--
*They told me I had type-A blood, but it was a Type-O.*