Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any fix for neutral cure silicone not curing?

I needed just a little silicone a few weeks ago and used some black Dow
Corning 791 neutral cure I had left over from a job a year or so ago and
which was still flowing. Problem is that it's not going off. I can't
blame the makers as it was well past its use by date.

Is there anything I can do to encourage it to set?

(I'm hoping to avoid having to clean it off and start again as it was to
seal new meter tails in a gland in the top of a CU.)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wait.

Excellent, thanks - a solution matched to my abilities
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 January 2015 07:36:45 UTC, Robin wrote:

Wait.

Excellent, thanks - a solution matched to my abilities

Is it doing its job anyway right now?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it doing its job anyway right now?

Yes/No/Maybe

Yes it's keeping dust/crud from falling into the CU.
No 'cos if the tails are bashed I suppose the silicone might move and
leave a gap.
Maybe it'd meet the IP 4X test: I can't judge as (a) I'm not going to
stick a wire into it and (b) it's sticky stuff and I don't know how long
BS 60529 requires the enclosure to resist the 1mm probe. Not that I'm
suggesting a CU Made out of pitch

(It was a CU in typical cupboard under stairs with meter tails like
shoestrings entering at the top through a 25mm knockout. I just
replaced the tails - easy with a nice new cutout with the new meter -
and the 4mm "main bonding" which only went to the long-disconnected lead
water pipe.)

Curing silicone? Another John UK diy 3 April 26th 12 10:40 AM
Neutral Cure Silicone - Gone Off? Rod UK diy 3 March 2nd 09 03:12 PM
Neutral cure silicone sealant wind up? [email protected] UK diy 14 December 5th 08 10:39 PM
Glazing tape or Neutral Cure Silicone - available in B&Q? butterfly UK diy 2 March 16th 07 09:02 PM
Silicone not curing, how to clean up? Dave Balderstone Home Repair 10 March 6th 06 05:03 PM