Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Balderstone

Default Silicone not curing, how to clean up?

I used an older tube of clear silicone and ran a bead along the back of
a new cabinet top in our downstairs bathroom. 14 hours later, it hasn't
even skinned over.

I can scrape the majority of it out easily enough, but what should I
use to clean up the residue? Vinegar? Soap & water? Other?

Thanks in advance,

djb

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa
Posted to alt.home.repair

try heating it with a hair dryer, that might get it to cure.

if its cold in thaqt area curing will be real slow

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
" wrote:

try heating it with a hair dryer, that might get it to cure.

if its cold in thaqt area curing will be real slow

It's definitely not cold in that room. But I'll try the dryer and see
what happens, thanks.

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa
Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I used an older tube of clear silicone and ran a bead along the back of
a new cabinet top in our downstairs bathroom. 14 hours later, it hasn't
even skinned over.

I can scrape the majority of it out easily enough, but what should I
use to clean up the residue? Vinegar? Soap & water? Other?

Thanks in advance,

djb

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

I think denatured alcohol will clean uncured silicon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Balderstone

In article , calhoun
wrote:

I think denatured alcohol will clean uncured silicon.

I have some handy and will give it try if the heat doesn't work.
Thanks, calhoun.

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , calhoun
wrote:

I think denatured alcohol will clean uncured silicon.

I have some handy and will give it try if the heat doesn't work.
Thanks, calhoun.

--

If the silicon is were you want it, just leave it alone. It will cure
in several days.

Silicon is a mositure cure, not a heat cure. It takes moisture out of
the air.

If it smells like vinegar it's still not cured.

I'd wait for it to cure & razor blade off any that is in the wrong
place

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , calhoun
wrote:

I think denatured alcohol will clean uncured silicon.

I have some handy and will give it try if the heat doesn't work.
Thanks, calhoun.

--

If the silicon is were you want it, just leave it alone. It will cure
in several days.

If it was smooth when dispensed it wasn't too old. If it was chunky
or lumpy that's not good, was too far gone to use.

Silicon is a mositure cure, not a heat cure. It takes moisture out of
the air.

If it smells like vinegar it's still not cured.

I'd wait for it to cure & razor blade off any that is in the wrong
place

cheers
Bob

I had this happen with a new tube. That example did not cure. I wiped
it up with kerosine. Leo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Mar 2006 07:57:01 -0800, "
wrote:

try heating it with a hair dryer, that might get it to cure.

if its cold in thaqt area curing will be real slow

It sounds to me the stuff was old. It never will cure if it was.
However, I applied some to my barn a little over a year ago. I was
just plugging some nail holes in sone used tin. It plugged the holes
but remained soft. I planned to remove it and replace it, but this
was in late fall of 2004, and it was getting cold so I just left it.
Spring came and I was busy with other things. Late last summer I went
to replace it and found it was semi hard. Apparently the hot sun
baked it. It's not quite normal, but the holes are plugged and its in
a spot where it dont really matter too much. So, it will stay.
But it took a good year to semi-harden. Maybe after another summer it
will completely harden????
This is fine on my barn, but in your bathroom, you dont want that.

I do wonder if you removed as much as possible with whatever scraper
you can find. Then try to apply some new silicone. Will the new
stuff cause the bad stuff to harden? I dotn know, just a guess....
I had planned to try that on my barn but like I said, it was semi
hard, so I just left it.

I read what others said. I doubt the heat will work. Kerosene might
work, but I would not try to apply new silicone to anything saturated
with kerosene.

I learned the hard way. If it comes out of the tube with difficulty,
toss it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

"I learned the hard way. If it comes out of the tube with difficulty,
toss it."

right on, it's just not worth the hassle of uncured silicone

BTDT what a mistake to save $4

cheers
Bob

wrote:
On 4 Mar 2006 07:57:01 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I used an older tube of clear silicone and ran a bead along the back of
a new cabinet top in our downstairs bathroom. 14 hours later, it hasn't
even skinned over.

I can scrape the majority of it out easily enough, but what should I
use to clean up the residue? Vinegar? Soap & water? Other?

Thanks in advance,

djb

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Mineral Spirits will clean it up.

Randy R. Cox

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Randy Cox wrote:
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I used an older tube of clear silicone and ran a bead along the back of
a new cabinet top in our downstairs bathroom. 14 hours later, it hasn't
even skinned over.

I can scrape the majority of it out easily enough, but what should I
use to clean up the residue? Vinegar? Soap & water? Other?

Thanks in advance,

djb

--
Talking about art is like dancing about architecture - Frank Zappa

Mineral Spirits will clean it up.

Randy R. Cox

I think they also recommend lacquer thinner