Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DECT phone recommendations please

The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

They currently have a Binatone Concept (2300, I think) - and it's
rubbish - drop-outs, including on the wired base (???) and too
difficult conference procedure.

In particular, they require/desi

1. ULTRA SIMPLE to use / set-up. No need for lots of features.

2. After answering on one phone, they would like to be able to simply
pick-up on another phone and join in the conversation - without a
transfer process to go through. A "privacy" button is acceptable, but
not necessary. The Binatone is rubbish in this regard. (It has a
transfer and conference procedure to go through.

3. A major name is preferred.

4. Lowest price is not biggest priority - but within reason and good
value.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:20:10 +0000, Jim wrote:

The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone +
2 additional handsets.

We've just bought a Gigaset from Argos (A415A twin hanset) but they also
do a triple handset. Seems easy enough to use and voicemails flash on
handsets and base station and can be picked up from any.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/15 14:30, DavidP wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:20:10 +0000, Jim wrote:

The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone +
2 additional handsets.

We've just bought a Gigaset from Argos (A415A twin hanset) but they also
do a triple handset. Seems easy enough to use and voicemails flash on
handsets and base station and can be picked up from any.

My Gigaset N300A is a few years old and going strong, except for the
rechargeable batteries - but they are just plain AAs so I could replace
them...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/15 14:51, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/01/15 14:30, DavidP wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:20:10 +0000, Jim wrote:

The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone +
2 additional handsets.

We've just bought a Gigaset from Argos (A415A twin hanset) but they also
do a triple handset. Seems easy enough to use and voicemails flash on
handsets and base station and can be picked up from any.

My Gigaset N300A is a few years old and going strong, except for the
rechargeable batteries - but they are just plain AAs so I could replace
them...

^^^ AAAs - but NiMH, not NiCd luckily
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:30:17 PM UTC, DavidP wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:20:10 +0000, Jim wrote:

The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone +
2 additional handsets.

We've just bought a Gigaset from Argos (A415A twin hanset) but they also
do a triple handset. Seems easy enough to use and voicemails flash on
handsets and base station and can be picked up from any.

--
David

Another vote for Siemens Gigaset. Having used Philips, Aldi's own and Daewoo, these are by far the best. Simple and intuitive to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

My Gigaset N300A is a few years old and going strong, except for the
rechargeable batteries - but they are just plain AAs so I could replace
them...

Good experience of Gigaset here too.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim wrote:
The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

I have a few here and the best by far is a Panasonic from TLC. Present
price is 65 plus vat for an answerphone triple pack. It just feels better
made than the others - and uses standard cells as batteries.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

In article ,
Jim wrote:
The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

I have a few here and the best by far is a Panasonic from TLC. Present
price is 65 plus vat for an answerphone triple pack. It just feels better
made than the others - and uses standard cells as batteries.

+1 We have a pair of Panasonic Dect phones here, apart from slight
faffing about with the non-intuitive "shared" phone book* they have been
trouble free.

I would much prefer that a single phone book was stored on the base
station, not separate copies on each handset as they are on this model...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:20:10 +0000, Jim wrote:

The parents need new phones for the house. They need a base/ans phone +
2 additional handsets.

We've just bought a Gigaset from Argos (A415A twin hanset) but they also
do a triple handset. Seems easy enough to use and voicemails flash on
handsets and base station and can be picked up from any.

Set of 3 Gigaset C300s have served us well for a few years now.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:20:16 UTC, Jim wrote:
The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

I don't know how it matches up to your specific requirements, but BT have one out now that incorporates much of the "truecall" nuisance-call prevention technology.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim wrote:
The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

I have a few here and the best by far is a Panasonic from TLC. Present
price is 65 plus vat for an answerphone triple pack. It just feels better
made than the others - and uses standard cells as batteries.

But aren't very intuitive at all with some of the less used features.

I can never remember how to switch to another incoming call when
I get one when on a call, the UI is very poorly done with that.

The other massive problem with these that isn't relevant
to the OP is that there is no way to keep your phone books
in synch across all your devices including mobile phones etc.

The Gigasets do have something in that regard but nowhere
near as convenient as just installing PhoneCopy on all phones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim wrote:
The parents need new phones for the house.
They need a base/ans phone + 2 additional handsets.

I have a few here and the best by far is a Panasonic from TLC. Present
price is 65 plus vat for an answerphone triple pack. It just feels better
made than the others - and uses standard cells as batteries.

+1 We have a pair of Panasonic Dect phones here,

Me too.

apart from slight faffing about with the non-intuitive "shared" phone
book* they have been trouble free.

Mine have been trouble free presumably because I
got two bases in case one fails and so never had failure.

But its not exactly intuitive with some of the less
used functions like switching to another call when
you get another incoming call when on a call already.

I would much prefer that a single phone book was stored on the base
station, not separate copies on each handset as they are on this model...

And I want to go much further, have completely automatic synching
of the phone books across all my phones, including the mobiles.

That’s completely trivial to do with PhoneCopy on the mobiles
but there is nothing like that that includes the cordless phones too.

And full integration with voip as well. Currently I just have one
panasonic on the voip and another on the landline but that
is awkward too with new phone numbers etc. The Gigasets do
handle that rather better, but not the integration with mobiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:51:36 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

My Gigaset N300A is a few years old and going strong,

That's the base unit to which you can "pair" any of the Gigaset
handsets, the feature set available can then get a bit confusing
though. As, IIRC, some handset features reley on the base supporting
them and vice versa.

I'm pleased with the call quality of our N300A IP either on POTS or
on VOIP. We have A510 handsets, I wouldn't say they have the most
intuative user interface but it's not awful. Don't use call transfer
or conference so don't know how easy that is to do.

Before the Gigaset system was installed we had a Philips (POTS only),
by comparison with te Gigaset it has very poor call quality, constant
background noise together with modulation noise/digital artifacts.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/15 20:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:51:36 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

My Gigaset N300A is a few years old and going strong,

That's the base unit to which you can "pair" any of the Gigaset
handsets, the feature set available can then get a bit confusing
though. As, IIRC, some handset features reley on the base supporting
them and vice versa.

I'm pleased with the call quality of our N300A IP either on POTS or
on VOIP.

Yes. I was complaining about sipgate the other week but I don;t get
quality problems on the N300A - always on my mobile (even if WiFi is
present)