Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Swan Toaster

We've just bought a high lift 4 slice Swan toaster - based on reading
an earlier thread about problems with 2 slice toasters, not accepting a
full UK slice. Yep had this problem for years :-(

Dropping the slices in sideways, works fine, as does the high lift to
chuck them back out, but the instruction are pathetic....

Three buttons marked with symbols (hyroglyphs) and a dial for time.
Left to right they are defrost frozen bread, cancel, then the third
button which we don't understand the use of. The symbol is rather like
a sheet of paper which has partially gone through a document shredder
and been pulled back out. A shredder which shreds vertically, with the
shredded fingers of paper torn of different lengths.

I'm fairly confident it is just a toaster, rather than combined toaster
/shredder, but what is the third button for. Each button has a warning
light below it, Cancel light up as soon as you start it, defrost and
the mystery buttons light up when pressed whilst toasting.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Three buttons marked with symbols (hyroglyphs) and a dial for time.
Left to right they are defrost frozen bread, cancel, then the third
button which we don't understand the use of.

Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost?
sometimes handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

First hit, googling "Swan Toaster buttons"

www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/swan-4-slice-toaster?
Find great deals on eBay for Swan 4 Slice Toaster in Toasters. ...
4 slice capacity, 1600w power, defrost / reheat / mid cycle cancel
buttons, variable browning ...

Looks like its reheat.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

It's called a "reheat" button on our toaster.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 02/01/2015, Andy Burns supposed :
Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost? sometimes
handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Could well be, nothing is clear. So it adjusts the timer? Is it a
timer, rather than a bi-metal strip trip? Guess it must be, it only
latches down when the power is on.

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how
to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote :
www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/swan-4-slice-toaster?
Find great deals on eBay for Swan 4 Slice Toaster in Toasters. ...
4 slice capacity, 1600w power, defrost / reheat / mid cycle cancel
buttons, variable browning ...

Looks like its reheat.

Its the red one, on ebay.

It was an impulse purchase, saw it cheap so grabbed one as it seemed
cheap and we needed a replacement anyway. 50% of those ebay prices.

Reheat it is then - time to get the labelling machine out ;-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
on 02/01/2015, Andy Burns supposed :
Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost?
sometimes handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Could well be, nothing is clear. So it adjusts the timer? Is it a timer,
rather than a bi-metal strip trip? Guess it must be, it only latches down
when the power is on.

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

Foreign people can't understand them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Phil L wrote :
Foreign people can't understand them

English is a worldwide language, understood by many. No one understands
weird symbols made up for the one occasion.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 02/01/2015, Andy Burns supposed :
Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost? sometimes
handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Could well be, nothing is clear. So it adjusts the timer? Is it a
timer, rather than a bi-metal strip trip? Guess it must be, it only
latches down when the power is on.

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how
to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

how about RTFM?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/15 17:06, charles wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

is that the same as afterburn?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how
to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

how about RTFM?

ITYF INITFM

HTH

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02/01/2015 17:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Reheat it is then - time to get the labelling machine out ;-)

Heat-proof labels?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 02/01/2015, Andy Burns supposed :
Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost?
sometimes
handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Could well be, nothing is clear. So it adjusts the timer? Is it a
timer, rather than a bi-metal strip trip? Guess it must be, it only
latches down when the power is on.

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Could well be, it mentions 'reheat' in the instructions, but not how
to.

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

how about RTFM?

He did, doing that didn’t help.

Plenty of things like toasters don’t even have
a manual anymore, ****ing or otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...

What ever happened to englsh words over control buttons?

No use if the item is being sold in the UK, as 3/4 of the population don't
speak english

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Normally there is an emergency release button too, in case the toast
catches fire.

There isnt on any of mine.

But none of mine are so badly designed that what
raises the toast cuts off the power to the elements
so that jammed toast just burns until someone
turns it off.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Three buttons marked with symbols (hyroglyphs) and a dial for time.
Left to right they are defrost frozen bread, cancel, then the third
button which we don't understand the use of.

Sure the first one isn't toast from frozen, rather than defrost?
sometimes handy for crumpets, rather than adjusting the browning level

Second is obvious

Third one might be reheat toast that's gone cold

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Normally there is an emergency release button too,
in case the toast catches fire.

I think they just call that "cancel" so as not to alarm people!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
We've just bought a high lift 4 slice Swan toaster

I thiought only the Queen was allowed to toast swans?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB presented the following explanation :
On 02/01/2015 17:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Reheat it is then - time to get the labelling machine out ;-)

Heat-proof labels?

No, thermal printed labels. Hopefully they will last until we get the
button functions committed to memory :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in message
news
Brian Gaff wrote:

Normally there is an emergency release button too,
in case the toast catches fire.

I think they just call that "cancel" so as not to alarm people!

More because it usually is used to cancel
the toasting, not because the toast is on fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2015 16:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I remember having a pen the same length as a slice of bread and going
around the various shops and using the pen as a guage for the depth of
the slot. Only one came near a full slice and that was a delonghi

http://www.johnlewis.com/de'longhi-brilliante-4-slice-toaster/p231098278?colour=Black

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2015 14:33, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No, thermal printed labels. Hopefully they will last until we get the
button functions committed to memory :-)

On a toaster???

Andy

Swan S19020N Ken[_20_] UK diy 0 June 20th 13 05:44 PM
Convert Swan Neck Towbar/ball to flange type? [email protected] UK diy 14 August 27th 12 07:55 PM
Question about filter on "SWAN DEHUMIDIFIER SH3010 " Donwill[_3_] UK diy 2 July 1st 10 08:31 PM
STELLA THE SWAN J T Woodworking 0 December 4th 06 01:16 PM
TUNDRA SWAN J T Woodworking 0 January 17th 05 10:18 PM