Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor tiles

I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2015 06:52, Charlie wrote:
I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

All depends on how well the floor tiles are stuck down.

Last time I lifted some I used an angle grinder with stone cutting disk
(like Toolstation 97863) to cut out the grout on a central tile, then
lifted one at a time with a bolster working towards the walls.

It was surprisingly easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/15 06:52, Charlie wrote:
I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

I doubt that the act of shearing the edge floor tile from the adhesive
will hurt the wall.

However, if you can cut the grout line between wall and floor at the
base of the wall with an angle grinder, Fein tool or somehow, that
should provide a bit of decoupling when the floor tile lifts. You can
then replace with a line of flexible sealant (what I usually do between
floor and wall).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote

I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid
right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due
to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles.
Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Do you care about all the floor tiles ?

You can obviously break the ones closest to the wall
and can do that without damaging the wall tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:30:44 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/01/15 06:52, Charlie wrote:
I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

I doubt that the act of shearing the edge floor tile from the adhesive
will hurt the wall.

I once tried to remove and replace a cracked tile. Whilst using a bolster I managed damage an adjacent tile despite it being about 6" from where I was using the bolster. I guess I managed to "push" the piece of tile I was removing hard enough into the adjacent tile. If their is a small recess behind the wall tile (where it meets the floor) I'm worried the same sort of thing might happen.

However, if you can cut the grout line between wall and floor at the
base of the wall with an angle grinder, Fein tool or somehow, that
should provide a bit of decoupling when the floor tile lifts. You can
then replace with a line of flexible sealant (what I usually do between
floor and wall).

OK, makes sense. What about a dremmel or will that basically offer me the same. I'm completely removing all the floor tiles so I'll bear in mind using sealant when I re-tile the floor.

Sorry for being a bit overcautious, it's just that I don't know where the previous owner bought the tiles and I have NO SPARES.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:52:36 PM UTC, Charlie wrote:
[...]

dremel would take forever, just use a hand grout saw/remover.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:33:07 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Charlie wrote

I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid
right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due
to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles.
Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Do you care about all the floor tiles ?

You can obviously break the ones closest to the wall
and can do that without damaging the wall tiles.

No, I plan on removing all the floor tiles. It's the removal of the ones adjacent to the wall that I'm most concerned about, especially if some of the plaster is missing at the base of the wall and there is a gap behind the bottom of the tile as it may crack easily if any force is applied to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2015 06:52, Charlie wrote:
I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Since it looks like the wall tiles went on first (ie they don't overlie
the floor tiles) I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble here.

I would lift the tiles starting in the middle of the floor and work out
to these more important edges. This will give you a feel for how well
stuck everything is. Once you cut through the grout though, lifting the
tiles shouldn't be too hard.

I recently had to cut out a patch of tiles that had lost adhesion. I
tried a few ways to break through the grout but the best by a long
stretch was a carbide grit cutter on my mutlitool. I was a bit
surprised as it was from one of the Aldi sets and I didn't expect it to
last five minutes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote

I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid
right up to a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due
to the horizontal force travelling through the floor tiles.
Unfortunately the previous owner left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Do you care about all the floor tiles ?

You can obviously break the ones closest to the wall
and can do that without damaging the wall tiles.

No, I plan on removing all the floor tiles.

Yes, but are you going to throw them away or reuse them ?

It's the removal of the ones adjacent to
the wall that I'm most concerned about,

Yes, but if you aren't going to reuse them, you
should be able to break the ones adjacent to
the wall without damaging the wall tiles.

especially if some of the plaster is missing at the base
of the wall and there is a gap behind the bottom of the
tile as it may crack easily if any force is applied to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charlie" wrote in message
I want to remove some floor tiles in my bathroom that are laid right up to
a wall which is also tiled - there's no skirting board.

Here's a pictu http://i60.tinypic.com/m565h.jpg

However I'm worried about damaging the wall tiles due to the horizontal
force travelling through the floor tiles. Unfortunately the previous owner
left no spare wall tiles.

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

If you plan on re-tiling the floor, why not just tile over the floor tiles?

Or, if you are laying vinyl or similar, lay that over the existing tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:12:47 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote

[...]

Yes I'm going to throw them all away as I'm re-tiling the floor.
I saw this this guy doing something similar too easy, has he got a hammer action on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_MweC_PAo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote

[...]

OK, then I would break up the row of tiles that are one row
in from the wall and then the one that is up against the wall.

It should be very easy to do that without any risk of damage
to the wall at all.

Even less risk than using a multitool on the grout between
the floor and the wall and less risk than using something to
get rid of the grout one floor tile in from that and leavering
the floor tiles once you have done that.

I saw this this guy doing something similar
too easy, has he got a hammer action on that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_MweC_PAo

Yes he has. I wouldn't do it that way myself, too easy
to slip and go into the wall IMO. I'd use a lump hammer
and chisel to break up the two rows of tiles as I stated above.
www.google.com/search?q=lump+hammer&tbm=isch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 6:19:28 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Charlie wrote

[...]

Rod has confidence in everything beyond reason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 9:30:32 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message

Rod has confidence in everything beyond reason

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

and thats his reply to almost everything
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Rod has confidence in everything beyond reason

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

and thats his reply to almost everything

You never could bull**** and lie your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Rod has confidence in everything beyond reason

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

and thats his reply to almost everything

How're you finding that groupie of yours

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Brilliant, cheers Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Charlie writes
[...]

Probably, looks like an SDS drill.

I think that if you take up the tiles in the middle of the floor first.
Club hammer and bolster, though if you have an SDS drill then a chisel
in that might be easier esp if they are stuck well.

Then should be easier enough to lift the ones at the edge with out
damaging the wall tiles. Once you have one out you can go along, rather
than towards the wall anyway. If I was worried I'd use a Tungsten
Carbide grit blade in a multitool to cut the tile/grout.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the best way to remove them without damaging the wall tiles?

Bosch PMF or similar multitool.

Best new invention for DIY.
http://www.bosch-pmf.com/gb/en/