Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Innards of a Vacuum Cleaner

Does anyone know how to get access to the entrails of ProAction Model no: CJ032DH-160 vacuum cleaner, possibly obtained from Argos, without breaking anything irretrievably ? The symptom is that it "does not work at all". I have managed to remove some minor parts, but I'm wondering about the deep holes at the rear of the underside. They look like screw holed, but show no sign of having screw heads in their depths.

I suspect a dead motor; on the other hand, although the power indicator does light, it lights rather unconvincingly, so the fault might perhaps be with the switch.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:38:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Does anyone know how to get access to the entrails of ProAction Model no: CJ032DH-160 vacuum cleaner, possibly obtained from Argos, without breaking anything irretrievably ? The symptom is that it "does not work at all". I have managed to remove some minor parts, but I'm wondering about the deep holes at the rear of the underside. They look like screw holed, but show no sign of having screw heads in their depths.

I suspect a dead motor; on the other hand, although the power indicator does light, it lights rather unconvincingly, so the fault might perhaps be with the switch.

Dunno if this is of any help:

http://fixed4free.com/answers.php?id=401600
where it says
Mine failed some time ago and as a former electrician, I fixed it
myself - it was an electrical spade connector which had come adrift
due to the tension caused by a very short cable length it was attached
to. Pushed it back on and problem solved. HOWEVER BEWARE - I had to
break the on/off foot switch to get into the beast, and needed to
borrow a special screwdriver to release two (I think) captive head
screws which a normal screwdriver would not touch. once opened the
problem was simply resolved.

Not having seen the cleaner in question, I'm only guessing about the
next bit but, if the respondent had to break the on/off switch then
IMO they probably overlooked one or more fasteners. It's quite common
to locate fasteners behind the vinyl labels of things: perhaps the
manufacturer's logo or the statutory information label. Anyway, if it
doesn't come apart after you've removed all the visible fasteners, try
using a butter knife or a palette knife to prise the label away from
its backing and investigate what's behind.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 January 2015 21:51:44 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

Why not just cut a large hole in a promising piece of vulnerabilia then screw it back after inserting a 2x1 once you fix the problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:38:15 -0800 (PST), dr.s.lartius wrote:

[...]

Thank you.

I have managed to partly break the foot switch - it no longer fits flush, but it still operates the little light.

But, now that direct sunlight is available, I have seen that there is a screw head visible at the bottom of at least one of the aforesaid deep holes. Nothing that I have yet found will reach that deep and engage anything - but I think now that those might be what needs to be undone.

I had already looked under the type-and-ratings label.

--
SL