Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newsgroup reader numbers

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 16:04:17 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

However, putting
http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/ into the
address bar of my browser comes up with this
http://tinyurl.com/os2ebpu. Whether there's anything there of use to
you, you'll have to find out for yourself, but I get the impression
that netscan no longer exists. It may not have done what you want
anyway.

CORRECTION: putting http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/ into the
Google search box comes up with this http://tinyurl.com/os2ebpu.

Netscan is no longer available, but it doesn't seem that it wouldn have
been of much use anyway.

I thought it would be useful enquiring, tho' I wasn't holding my breath.
Thanks for all the replies anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , lid
says...

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:06:51 +0000, Steve B wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?
Probably,'not a lot' for most.

thanx

---

A couple of things (& I am happy to be corrected)

There is no concept of 'hits' as per a webpage.

The server will know how many times a given newgroup article has been
down loaded but it may not know if that was an end-user or another NNTP
server that asked for it - or it may do.

Yes you're probably right, I was being hopeful.
Too many overheads to make it worthwhile.

Your posting client does not know how to write a sig-separator it is
_two_ dashes and a space not three dashes and no space!

This is not an email so tell avast to shut up!

I asked it nicely

/grumpy old git mode

surfeit of Christmas pud?

Avpx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry."
(Mort)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve B writes:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?
Probably,'not a lot' for most.

Sorry, but you can't do this.
News is distributed - there isn't any central site, and most
news servers won't even collect the data you are asking for.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?
Probably,'not a lot' for most.

thanx

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I do recall a
good few years ago someone on a newsgroup that I was following putting
up statistics on the frequency of postings by individual subscribers
to that group. I have a bookmark titled Usenet Data, which might have
been from that time, with a Tinyurl link http://tinyurl.com/jnpk but
what it links to now appears to be defunct, as I get the message
'netscan.research.microsoft.com is unavailable or may not exist.'

I think that this has stopped now, it was probably someones hobby, but
this sort of thing used to regularly appear for the particular group only.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.media.radio.archers/umra$20posting/uk.media.radio.archers/VLohZMdWflk/oM9hDxdV0zcJ

--
CB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-12-27, Steve B wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?

Newsgroups don't receive "hits".

Richard Kettlewell ?) monitors traffic in the Big8
and uk.* groups and published a traffic graph on the web somewhere but
I'm damned if I can find it. Perhaps someone with better Google-fu than
me can try?

That only tells you the posters, not the lurkers who
just read or even what the posters read either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think that would be impossible to do. Obviously Googles interface will
have stats, but I do hope most serious users use at least an offline client,
instead of the dogs dinner Google made of it.
Since the number of servers is dwindling, which is merely because there is
no money in it, then maybe the google interface might be at least a guide,
I'd imagine though that the main demographic of users tends to be older than
much of the internet.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Steve B" wrote in message

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?
Probably,'not a lot' for most.

thanx

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Nomad wrote:
[...]

Away from the subject matter, I wonder If you have any idea why
malwarebytes keeps giving me a popup saying malware detected when all I
am doing is downloading and reading newsgroup messages?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-12-27, Steve B wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?

Newsgroups don't receive "hits".

Richard Kettlewell ?) monitors traffic in the Big8
and uk.* groups and published a traffic graph on the web somewhere but
I'm damned if I can find it. Perhaps someone with better Google-fu than
me can try?

Richard says:
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/ and click around a bit for recent posting numbers in each of the hierarchies mentioned

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Are you thinking of
http://www.rosbif.org/statistics/ukr...file111001.txt ?

http://www.rosbif.org/perl-scripts/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

On 30/12/2014 16:53, Steve B wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 2014-12-27, Steve B wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.
Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?

Newsgroups don't receive "hits".

Richard Kettlewell ?) monitors traffic in the Big8
and uk.* groups and published a traffic graph on the web somewhere but
I'm damned if I can find it. Perhaps someone with better Google-fu than
me can try?

Richard says:
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/ and click around a bit for recent posting numbers in each of the hierarchies mentioned

Thanks for this info, interesting to see how different sites are
performing. It does seem that groups need a 'critical mass' to function
effectively.

in the UK hierarchy it seems we are the most trafficked group, followed
by railway and politics - not sure what that says about us!

Practical, cost effective, solutions to problems?
Not sure that railway and politics are up to the same level of
excellence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 30/12/2014 16:53, Steve B wrote:
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/spoolstats/ and click around a bit
for recent posting numbers in each of the hierarchies mentioned

Thanks for this info, interesting to see how different sites are
performing. It does seem that groups need a 'critical mass' to function
effectively.

in the UK hierarchy it seems we are the most trafficked group, followed
by railway and politics - not sure what that says about us!

Generally.... male, old enough to have gone on line by 2000, practical
minded, possibly owning a shed and keen that others should see the world
as we do:-)

Considering the age demographic, the collective wisdom 'should' be
awesome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2014 12:06, Steve B wrote:

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is.

Its probably impossible to say... not only down to the nature of usenet
and the way its distributed, but also to the fact that there are
multiple web sites that mirror its content. So readers can read the same
stuff from multiple disconnected places.

Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group
like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers.
Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits
that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time?
Probably,'not a lot' for most.

The old google groups interface used to give nice summaries of the
number of posts to a newsgroup. Last time it worked uk.d-i-y was getting
about 7,000 new posts a month. Its peak a few years back was getting
close to 14,000.

The new groups can give some information:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/uk.d-i-y

(but the All Time active posters list is nonsense - since many of the
long term users had already racked up 30K+ posts)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Richard Kettlewell ?) monitors traffic in the Big8
and uk.* groups and published a traffic graph on the web somewhere but
I'm damned if I can find it. Perhaps someone with better Google-fu than
me can try?

There used to be someone who did the same thing on the Acorn computer
groups and published annual statistics.
But this ended years ago.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Newsgroup reader gregz Home Repair 3 March 10th 13 04:14 AM
Newsgroup reader gregz Home Repair 0 March 10th 13 02:30 AM
Any newsgroup reader recommendation(s), please? jim UK diy 44 April 16th 12 10:58 AM
Newsgroup reader TMC[_2_] UK diy 21 February 19th 12 05:27 PM
OT RSS & Newsgroup reader Hugh - Was Invisible UK diy 5 November 19th 11 06:03 PM