Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default left-right audio

Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was
correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power
cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems to me that far too much gear these days has unused options which can
be triggered by dodgy mains or radio interference. Back in the old days it
used to be just rf pick up and most of it could be handled, but nowadays,
most gear has basically some form of computer in it and all sorts of odd
things can happen that are not supposed to.
For example, I had a pretty mundane digital talking clock that ran from the
mains with also a pretty display some years ago.
One ninight I awoke to what sounded like foreign voices in the house. On
going downstairs I discovered the clock was flashing and its voice system
appeared to be replaying some conversation in Japanese over and over.

Apparently the chip with the voice stuff on it also had some junk recordings
as well and some weird spike had managed to access this. I did talk to a
chap who worked for Sharp some time later, and he told me it was a known
problem with some of their 'talking time' chips.
I just hope it was not people swearing in japanese.
It needed its back up battery removed and unplugging for a few minutes and
all went back to normal. This was before the days of radio controlled
clocks.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was correct.
I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power cuts, so the
whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was
correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power
cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Is this an analogue connection between telly and amp?
Is the telly itself (internal speakers) correct?

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was
correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power
cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Is this an analogue connection between telly and amp?

Yes. Phono leads.

Is the telly itself (internal speakers) correct?

Don't know. Telly is always on earphone setting. Tried the internal
speakers once and they were deplorable so they haven't been used since.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was
correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power
cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

Is this an analogue connection between telly and amp?

Yes. Phono leads.

Is the telly itself (internal speakers) correct?

Don't know. Telly is always on earphone setting. Tried the internal
speakers once and they were deplorable so they haven't been used since.

Stereo headphones should show if the L&R are swapped in the set? But of
course not if it were only the phono outputs. Although I'd be surprised if
this was even possible - unless it had a botched repair at some time.

Quick test for the amp is to unplug the phonos at the TV and touch the
centre of say right with a finger and see if the right speaker buzzes. But
then you'd know that. ;-)

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2014 04:26, Bill Wright wrote:
Further to the discussion about audio coming from the wrong side, for
weeks I've been aware that the sound from my telly was the wrong way
round. (The telly feeds an amp and that feeds the speakers.) Yesterday I
decided to do something about it, but I found that the sound was
correct. I can't explain this. The only thing is, we've had two power
cuts, so the whole caboodle has been unpowered for long periods.

I remember launching a similar investigation to find the crossed wires.
In the end it turned out to be just one DVD that had its left and right
reversed!

--
Cheers,

John.