Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GIGA News still taking my posts via BT internet

BT sent me an email a few days ago saying that their agreement with Giga
News had ceased and directed me to them to sign up for what looks like
an outrageous amount.

However, I can still reply to other posts and if this appears then I can
still initiate threads. Strange.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
BT sent me an email a few days ago saying that their agreement with Giga News had
ceased and directed me to them to sign up for what looks like an outrageous amount.

However, I can still reply to other posts and if this appears then I can still initiate
threads. Strange.

This may depend on when Giganews eventually get around to disconnecting
you.

They'll probably do this when its most convenient for them, and
they'll not be took bothered if former subscribers are left with the
impression that they've somehow been "forgotten".

Unlike in the case of individual subscribers to some services whose luck
might hold out for years, as BT subscribers presumably form quite a large
group its unlikely you'll be be overlooked for too long.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
BT sent me an email a few days ago saying that their agreement with
Giga News had ceased and directed me to them to sign up for what
looks like an outrageous amount.

However, I can still reply to other posts and if this appears then
I can still initiate threads. Strange.

Giganews are probably allowing direct, unauthenticated access from
the pool of IP addresses used by BT's ADSL lines etc[1]. Your
access will go some time after they remove this access from any
control file. They (Giganews) will probably have to restart
their News server for this to take effect. Hence some delay.

Usenet access has been discussed elsewhere in this Newsgroup.
Commercial access is available for a few quid per year. Or you
could sign up for one of the free services:

Aioe.org Public News server

Albasani.net

Eternal September

[1] My ISP -- Plusnet -- also outsources their News service to
Giganews:

$ host news.plus.net
news.plus.net is an alias for usenet.plus.net.
usenet.plus.net is an alias for europe.isp.giganews.com.
europe.isp.giganews.com has address 216.196.109.145

and access is unauthenticated. Hence my guess at the way
News is available from your BT service.
--
Dennis Davis