Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default connecting mains outdoors

Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring it is
waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come with a cable
about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to the existing cable
to the old lights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring it is
waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come with a cable
about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to the existing cable to
the old lights.

Take the 9 inch cable off and put a longer piece on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote

Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring
it is waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come
with a cable about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to
the existing cable to the old lights.

In that situation I normally just replace that 9" cable with one of the
length that I need.

Not always possible tho, one recent LED flood light has the
supplied cable soldered directly to the components inside
and the whole thing with quite a bit of silicone just sort
of squirted over the exposed connections to insulate it.

Fortunately I use that one inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring it is
waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come with a cable
about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to the existing cable
to the old lights.

Metal 20mm 2 port besa box and 2 20mm stuffing glands with some choc'
block inside. Waterproof and robust.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX2G.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK249B.html
or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTEG2.html

Or similar.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use one of these with the entry points facing downwards and a rubber sealing gasket under the lid along with the cable entry glands mentioned previously.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BXUG.html

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring it is
waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come with a cable
about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to the existing cable
to the old lights.

Take the 9 inch cable off and put a longer piece on?

That could be a problem if the existing cable is sticking out of a brick
wall and it went driectly into the old light fitting:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Any suggestions for connecting mains outdoors and ensuring it is
waterproof? I have purchased a new flood light and it come with a cable
about 9 inches in length and I need to connect it to the existing cable to
the old lights.

You can buy waterproof joint boxes and various glands to mak a waterproof
joint.
Screwfix has them.

LED lights outdoors? S Viemeister[_2_] UK diy 11 August 15th 14 02:08 AM
Outdoors TV b Electronics Repair 5 July 7th 06 05:23 PM
Problems connecting washing machine to mains Mark Hewitt UK diy 11 October 26th 05 11:48 AM
laminate outdoors Scott Woodworking 2 December 21st 04 07:18 PM
Plumbing shower booster pump without connecting to electric supply mains Ghazali UK diy 43 February 16th 04 11:17 PM