Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting new door handles; holes overlap in Aluminium

On Monday, November 17, 2014 12:32:51 PM UTC, jkn wrote:
Hi all
we have an aluminium back door with mortice lock. Some years ago I replaced
the failing door handles with a couple of (cheap) new ones. The screw holes of
the new handles had slightly different spacing to the originals, so I had to drill a set of holes for the self-tapping screws for the newer handles.

Fast forward several years, and one of these handles has also failed ;-(.

I've bought a replacement pair of handles. The hole spacing of these is (of
course_ different agian... but sufficiently similar that I fear that the new
screw holes will overlap one of the previous set of holes.

Any suggestions as the best way to approach this? I have some JB Weld to hand but
using this feels like a bit too much of a bodge, even if it works. I was wondering
about maybe fitting a sheet of Alu under the handle, to act as a new 'substrate'.
This could also be a faff...

Cheers
J^n

Stick a few matches in the old holes, after drilling.

NT