Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting new door handles; holes overlap in Aluminium

In article , jkn
writes
Hi all
we have an aluminium back door with mortice lock. Some years ago I replaced
the failing door handles with a couple of (cheap) new ones. The screw holes of
the new handles had slightly different spacing to the originals, so I had to drill a set
of holes for the self-tapping screws for the newer handles.

Fast forward several years, and one of these handles has also failed ;-(.

I've bought a replacement pair of handles. The hole spacing of these is (of
course_ different agian... but sufficiently similar that I fear that the new
screw holes will overlap one of the previous set of holes.

Any suggestions as the best way to approach this? I have some JB Weld to hand
but
using this feels like a bit too much of a bodge, even if it works. I was wondering
about maybe fitting a sheet of Alu under the handle, to act as a new 'substrate'.
This could also be a faff...

Sorry for the late reply.

Whilst the plate would be a faff, I think it really is the only proper
way to do it. I'm assuming there's enough room to fit one on the inside?
If you need help to hold the plate(s) when putting on the handles you
could drill and tap a countersunk hole in a hidden position under the
handle to fix it in place. If you use say 2mm steel strip you could dril
and tap the holes for a better job than self tappers.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .