Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung TV psu

Just a note for those that care ..

Have had 3 Samsung LCD TVs fail recently (2 mine 1 of parents) ... all
out of warranty, in each case the PSU has failed.

Also in each case it has been the capacitors that had failed, I guess
these are switched mode PSU's and those are hard working caps rather
than just smoothing.

Luckily have a good local TV repair shop who replace the capacitors with
uprated units, so repairs are not too expensive.

TV repairman advised almost all failures on Samsung are on the PSU ..
and although having great screens and display electronics they have very
unreliable PSU's ... he feels they manufacture to a cost using parts
that will only just do they job, last as long as warranty only.

Although he gets a lot of failures, the faults are usually repairable,
whereas Sony & Panasonic faults are often too expensive and therefore
terminal.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody gets a Samsung TV fail on them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:39:38 +0000, rick wrote:

[...]

Thanks, useful. I have one, nearly a year old!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick writes:
[...]

My 24" Samsung monitor died not far out of warranty - PSU.
I ordered replacement caps, but also had to order another monitor
immediately (an Acer), and have not got around to fixing the Samsung
yet. Samsung was a very nice display when it worked.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

According to some people, Sony are not very helpful, but Panasonic more so
with out of warranty issues. Seems odd to me that if one company can offer
olive branches, that others seem loathe too.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"rick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

Have had 3 Samsung LCD TVs fail recently (2 mine 1 of parents) ... all
out of warranty, in each case the PSU has failed.

I found your post very interesting. Thank you.
I have two Samsung LCD TVs, both of which are a couple of years old
and still working, fortunately.
As a matter of interest, is it relatively simple to detach the PSU?
Or do you have to take the whole TV to your repairman?
I ask because one of my TVs is in another country,
and I'm not sure if I could find a repair shop there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2014 10:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
According to some people, Sony are not very helpful, but Panasonic more so
with out of warranty issues. .
Brian

Do you mean Panasonic are more unhelpful than Sony? (ie "but" = "and")

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2014 13:31, Timothy Murphy wrote:
rick wrote:

Have had 3 Samsung LCD TVs fail recently (2 mine 1 of parents) ... all
out of warranty, in each case the PSU has failed.

I found your post very interesting. Thank you.
I have two Samsung LCD TVs, both of which are a couple of years old
and still working, fortunately.
As a matter of interest, is it relatively simple to detach the PSU?
Or do you have to take the whole TV to your repairman?
I ask because one of my TVs is in another country,
and I'm not sure if I could find a repair shop there.

I just took TV into repair shop ... initially was Fathers TV, found them
so good & honest did same for mine when time came.
Advantage is repair is then tested and warrantied.
Plus he always puts any f/ware upgrades onto the set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:
[...]

Hmm, so are you suggesting that we should buy Samsungs because they are
"reliably unreliable"? ;-)

No problems with our 4 yr old Panasonic (so far!).

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:16:21 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

According to some people, Sony are not very helpful, but Panasonic more so
with out of warranty issues. Seems odd to me that if one company can offer
olive branches, that others seem loathe too.
Brian

That's just Sony being true to their nature, money grabbing rip off
merchants.

Examples: proprietry flasm memory format (memory stick), buying out
Apple Record's back catalogue and their infamous DRM enforcement
Rootkit malware placed on some 50 of their top selling music CDs that
infected windows PCs used _merely_ as a convenient means of listening
to the music with absolutley no intent to rip the music tracks.

Basically, they're just the most charmless of Japanese companies in
existence.
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2014 15:21, Tim+ wrote:
Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody gets a Samsung TV fail on them.

Hmm, so are you suggesting that we should buy Samsungs because they are
"reliably unreliable"? ;-)

No problems with our 4 yr old Panasonic (so far!).

Not suggesting anything other than if you have a faulty Samsung -
consider the PSU caps.

As Samsung sell more TV's than any other manufacturer (in UK at least)
then you would expect a higher number of that make.

I have 4 Samsung TV's in the house and 3 Samsung monitors .... would not
buy anything else, used to buy Panasonic ... but not any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
On 21/11/2014 15:21, Tim+ wrote:
Just thought I'd mention it in case anybody gets a Samsung TV fail on
them.

Hmm, so are you suggesting that we should buy Samsungs because they are
"reliably unreliable"? ;-)

No problems with our 4 yr old Panasonic (so far!).

Not suggesting anything other than if you have a faulty Samsung - consider
the PSU caps.

As Samsung sell more TV's than any other manufacturer (in UK at least)
then you would expect a higher number of that make.

I have 4 Samsung TV's in the house and 3 Samsung monitors .... would not
buy anything else, used to buy Panasonic ... but not any more.

It is almost always power supply caps on Sammys. It's a cheap easy fix as
well.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

According to some people, Sony are not very helpful, but Panasonic more so
with out of warranty issues. Seems odd to me that if one company can offer
olive branches, that others seem loathe too.

It would be even more surprising if all operations operated the same way on
that.

"rick" wrote in message
[...]

Looking to trade my Samsung 46" LED HDTV for a Samsung 40" LEDHDTV. Keith D. Lee[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 July 29th 11 11:45 PM
Looking to trade my Samsung 46" HDTV for a Samsung 40" HDTV Keith D. Lee Electronics Repair 0 July 29th 11 11:43 PM
Looking for a Samsung LED TV for my den Keith[_10_] Electronics Repair 2 November 15th 10 08:32 PM
Samsung TV Freckles[_3_] Home Repair 12 October 4th 09 09:31 PM
Samsung part BN41-00001A for Samsung 520TFT Syncmaster monitor [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 February 5th 08 05:01 PM