Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cutting a tyre up for disposal

Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nomen Nescio wrote:
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

No need to cut it up.

If he lives on a hill you could wait until dark and then let it go down
the road.

Any canals nearby?

Use it as a fire surround for the garden bonfire.

Put it on eBay or Freecycle (tyre suitable for tyre swing).

If you've got a tree make a tyre swing (no need for kids; just get drunk
at a time when A & E is quiet)

Put it at the back of the garage if you have a female partner who drives.

Get another tyre and tie them to the gateposts if you have a female
partner who drives.

Put it outside the property and write to the local paper to complain
about the fact that the council doesn't clear up after fly tippers.

Paint it white to make a very kitsch planter.

Paint it red white and blue to make a planter suitable for if the queen
is driven past the house.

Get some more and half bury them, upright, to make a croquet pitch.

Half bury them, upright, in a row, in the lawn. Paint the lawn blue.
Take an out-of-focus photograph and start a Lock Ness Monster hoax.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 03:24:00 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Paint it white to make a very kitsch planter.

Another idea to make your yard real purty:

http://youtu.be/a8yV8x-rMNM

(The tread part may have steel wire in it. Angle grinder, I'd say, though clouds
of burning rubber dust may ensue).

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And it don't arf pong as well. Is there no council tip where you can take
it?
Not all councils take kindly to stuff like that in the land fill bin.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 03:24:00 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Paint it white to make a very kitsch planter.

Another idea to make your yard real purty:

http://youtu.be/a8yV8x-rMNM

(The tread part may have steel wire in it. Angle grinder, I'd say, though
clouds
of burning rubber dust may ensue).

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 08:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
I thought the idea was to put them around speed cameras and set fire to
them?
Brian

Advertise it in the Botswana Gazette as a partly worn necklace?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Nomen Nescio wrote:
[...]

Get some more and make a potato planter.

Take it to the tyre fitters and pay the disposal charge?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 03:24:00 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Any canals nearby?

*******. Rope is bad enough around the prop, A tyre, with steels in
the tread and bead...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 02:40:01 +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could I
do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to borrow
an angle grinder?

Does it still have a wheel in it?

If so, you'll struggle to chop it in half. If not, upcycle it into a
planter for the garden.

Or just take it to the tip, whole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian
writes

Or just take it to the tip, whole.

Ours say, "we are unable to accept vehicle tyres as we do not have the
appropriate waste handling licence" (they lied).

An alternative might be a speed camera petrol reservoir.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 01:40, Nomen Nescio wrote:
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

I suspect that you would not be allowed to put tyres in your wheelie
bin. Obviously, you might get away with it but, in similar
circumstances, I'd take it to our local recycling centre next time I go.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 01:40, Nomen Nescio wrote:
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

There is a technique, of cutting and twisting inside out to make a very
durable garden planter, paint white or whatever, they don't look like
tyres at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Nov 2014, N_Cook grunted:

On 15/11/2014 01:40, Nomen Nescio wrote:
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

Funnily enough, there's a guy called Fritz here who has exactly the same
problem as you - maybe you should hook up with him and work out a solution?

There is a technique, of cutting and twisting inside out to make a very
durable garden planter, paint white or whatever, they don't look like
tyres at all.

Yep - here you go: I took this pic on holiday in Thailand about 15 years
ago: in this village they used them as dustbins:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=o7u6q1&s=8#.VGhwifmsV1Y
I'd never seen or heard of it before and was fascinated - hence the photo!

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Instead of spending hours hacking through jagged steel wires, which don't
cut easily I might add, cutting your hands open and then attempting to get
it into a wheelie bin, why not just take it to the dump whre there's a skip
especially for tyres?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Instead of spending hours hacking through jagged steel wires, which don't
cut easily I might add, cutting your hands open and then attempting to get
it into a wheelie bin, why not just take it to the dump whre there's a skip
especially for tyres?

Ors doesn't have one, in fact it specifically says car tyres not accepte
on their website
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 16:04, Chris French wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes

[...]

Same at ours. ISTR the tyre dealer scrapping charge is around a fiver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2014 17:24, newshound wrote:

it into a wheelie bin, why not just take it to the dump whre there's a
skip
especially for tyres?

Ors doesn't have one, in fact it specifically says car tyres not accepte
on their website

Go to dump out of Hrs and leave it by their gate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2014 17:49, rick wrote:
On 16/11/2014 17:24, newshound wrote:

it into a wheelie bin, why not just take it to the dump whre there's a
skip
especially for tyres?

Ors doesn't have one, in fact it specifically says car tyres not accepte
on their website

Go to dump out of Hrs and leave it by their gate

They may well have CCTV by the gates.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2014 17:24, newshound wrote:
ite

Same at ours. ISTR the tyre dealer scrapping charge is around a fiver.

I was charged 2 quid by mine (though it was on a steel wheel)

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

ISTR the tyre dealer scrapping charge is around a fiver.

The last half dozen I've paid £1.28 ea

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/14 01:40, Nomen Nescio wrote:
Hi

I'm helping an elderly neighbour clear up the mess in the end of his
back garden, & we found someone has, sometime in the past few years,
dumped a car tyre there.

What's necessary to cut it in half to fit it in his wheelie bin? Could
I do it in a half-hour with a hacksaw? Jigsaw? Or would we need to
borrow an angle grinder?

thanks

Just take it to your local tyre fitter and pay them a quid or two
disposal charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My local council says this on their web site:

Tyres from bicycles, prams and wheelbarrows are accepted, but not
motorbike or car tyres. Garages that fit new tyres to your car or
motorbike will dispose of your old tyres for you.

- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:15:59 +0000, Mike wrote:

Garages that fit new tyres to your car or motorbike will dispose of
your old tyres for you.

Thankfully, my local tip doesn't have any of that rubbish - since I fit
my own tyres...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 17, 2014 5:10:34 PM UTC, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:15:59 +0000, Mike wrote:

Garages that fit new tyres to your car or motorbike will dispose of
your old tyres for you.

Thankfully, my local tip doesn't have any of that rubbish - since I fit
my own tyres...

Perhaps you'd like to show us how for a wiki page?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000ROBCT2

Tyre pumps [email protected] UK diy 6 June 21st 14 09:49 PM
Car tyre pump Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 40 May 26th 14 03:19 PM
Time for a new tyre? JoeJoe UK diy 79 December 24th 12 12:07 PM
Car tyre inflator al UK diy 20 March 12th 05 08:49 PM