Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing in kitchen

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

You should run a separate 9mm earthing cable from the cold mains pipe
all the way back to the main earth on the consumer unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought bonding all three would cover most issues. IE the cable in
the wall is an unknown source, but is obviously earthed, so earthling it
agaiwon't hurt.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bod" wrote in message
On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

You should run a separate 9mm earthing cable from the cold mains pipe all
the way back to the main earth on the consumer unit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bod" wrote in message
On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

You should run a separate 9mm earthing cable from the cold mains pipe all
the way back to the main earth on the consumer unit.

Does anyone sell 9mm earth cable?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 19:59, ARW wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

You should run a separate 9mm earthing cable from the cold mains pipe
all the way back to the main earth on the consumer unit.

Does anyone sell 9mm earth cable?

Probably that Turkish cable manufacturer that got kicked out of BASEC
for selling undersized conductor cable not so long ago ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 07:49, Bod wrote:
On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

You should run a separate 9mm earthing cable from the cold mains pipe
all the way back to the main earth on the consumer unit.

Unless using plastic plumbing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

First is there already an main equipotential bond to the cold water
supply elsewhere? If there is, then you can ignore this spare one.

Second if the main bond is missing, is this one suitable? i.e. thick
enough[1], and does it go back to the main earthing terminal?

[1]
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e_requirements

If it turns out its required and usable, then yes you can connect it to
the pipe. Ideally it should be shortly after the main stopcock in the
house. Really it should be an unbroken run of wire, but soldering or
crimping an extension would next best.

Lastly there is no requirement for supplementary bonding in a kitchen,
so don't connect it to the CPC of the ring circuit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:59:01 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

[...]

Thanks - also Bod and Brian.
I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back to
the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 14, 2014 3:29:33 PM UTC, Alan wrote:

I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back to
the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

Surely, for equipotential bonding, the pipes coming into the wet room need to be electrically bonded together but not to anything else.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 14, 2014 4:12:13 PM UTC, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 3:29:33 PM UTC, Alan wrote:

I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back to
the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

I also hestitate to mention, but for a kitchen don't you need to be part P approved to do any electrical work?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:13:21 -0800 (PST), RobertL
wrote:

On Friday, November 14, 2014 4:12:13 PM UTC, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 3:29:33 PM UTC, Alan wrote:

I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back to
the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

I also hestitate to mention, but for a kitchen don't you need to be part P approved to do any electrical work?

Robert

So are you suggesting that I cannot run an earth cable from the
kitchen to the garage: connecting one end to the copper pipe and the
other end to the main earthing terminal myself?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 16:13, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 4:12:13 PM UTC, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 3:29:33 PM UTC, Alan wrote:

I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back to
the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

I also hestitate to mention, but for a kitchen don't you need to be part P approved to do any electrical work?

Not any more - kitchens were removed from the list of "special
locations" in the latest revision.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely, for equipotential bonding, the pipes coming into the wet room
need to be electrically bonded together but not to anything else.

I took "cold water supply which enters near by" to mean the supply to
the property, not just to the kitchen, but I could well be wrong.

And a kitchen used to be a "special location" but the changes to Part P
from April 2013 mean it isn't now.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Part_P (under "What is not
notifiable).
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 16:12, RobertL wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 3:29:33 PM UTC, Alan wrote:

I think I will make a job of it and run a totally new earth back
to the main earthing terminal just be be certain.

Surely, for equipotential bonding, the pipes coming into the wet room
need to be electrically bonded together but not to anything else.

Its not a wet room, its a kitchen. And we are discussing the main
equipotential bonds, not supplementary bonding (which is not required
for kitchens)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 14/11/2014 07:40, Alan wrote:

[...]

Soldering or crimping is classed as unbroken.

Lastly there is no requirement for supplementary bonding in a kitchen, so
don't connect it to the CPC of the ring circuit.

Yep

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with an
unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V across me.
And if the sink is wet, my skin resistance goes close to zero and I get
blown to pieces; they'll have to recover my body parts from the
neighbours' gardens.
Let metal sinks float, I say. Far safer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 21:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with an
unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V across me.

snipped

No, not easily. It's really very, very rare.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 21:14:10 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 14/11/2014 21:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with
an unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V
across me.

snipped

No, not easily. It's really very, very rare.

Cheers

If it's true that it's "really very, very rare" then I'd venture to say
that when people claim they've had a belt off the mains and survived, in
most cases they've probably not had the *full* whack due to the
protection afforded by footware/carpets/lino etc. IOW, they're not
sufficiently earthed to get the full effect. But in the circumstances I
suggest, where you're fully earthed and the current flows between your
hands - across your chest - there's plenty enough mils there to stop your
heart - even if your hands are dry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 21:49, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

But there is a fair chance that a sink will already be earthed
sufficiently well, e.g. by copper pipe, to give you the full 230V, or
very close. Your argument, if valid, should lead to a requirement for
sinks to be installed with plastic pipework, etc.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 22:38:33 +0000, polygonum wrote:

But there is a fair chance that a sink will already be earthed
sufficiently well, e.g. by copper pipe, to give you the full 230V, or
very close. Your argument, if valid, should lead to a requirement for
sinks to be installed with plastic pipework, etc.

I'm guessing the people that evaluate case histories of how accidents
happen and formulate codes of practice accordingly have concluded that
earth bonding in kitchens is the lesser of the evils and perhaps is
statistically less likely to result in bad outcomes than letting
everything float. Just a guess...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Really, it's uncommon. Most electrocutions [a portmanteu - 'electrical
execution'] are from digging up high voltage cables or contacting
overheads in some way. Domestic mains based deaths are very rare.

That's not to say you won't fall off the ladder and bang your head.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 00:36, Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

The government figures from around the time of the into of part P
suggested about 20 deaths per year in the UK. However they latter
admitted that included deaths from use of appliances as well as those
caused by fixed wiring (to which part P was applied). The deaths due to
fixed wiring were therefore less than 2 per year (and hand been falling
year on year). Needless to say the intro of part P increased that.

However its worth noting that death is not the only bad outcome, there
are a significant number of people (million+) who receive a shock each
year, and a large number who suffer serious injury - many with permanent
effects. So focussing on deaths alone is missing the bigger picture.

That's not to say you won't fall off the ladder and bang your head.

Cheers

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And indeed similar circumstances have resulted in fatalities. (last case
I remember was a metal rack made live by a screw through a cable, and
the user touching that and her leg touching the earthed metalwork of a
dishwasher).

A very strong demonstration of why RCDs are such a good idea.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 November 2014 21:49:17 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

My father managed to touch live and neutral with left and right hand when
doing some work in his mother's loft. The current prevented him calling
out, so I don't know what broke the circuit ... but he survived another
40 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cursitor Doom
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with an
unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V across me.
And if the sink is wet, my skin resistance goes close to zero and I get
blown to pieces; they'll have to recover my body parts from the
neighbours' gardens.
Let metal sinks float, I say. Far safer.

A metal kitchen sink will probably be earthed anyway via the pipework
(assuming metal pipework of course.

And what about all the other earthed metalwork in the kitchen - e.g. in
my case the gas hob and oven (bare metal parts, like the trim the
toaster (dualit, bare metal), microwave.

My BIL did get a shock from the hob. We have a rice cooker with a
stainless steel exterior which is earthed.it was plugged in next to the
hob. He touched both (one with each hand) whilst cleaning up and got a
good shock from them.

Turns out there was an live earth fault in a socket hidden away behind
the cupboards, which meant the rice cooker exterior was live. It was in
our early days here and all we had was an old ELCB protecting the
installation, which really wasn't bothered by this fault Nowadays the
RCBO would have tripped out long before of course

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2014 21:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with an
unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V across me.
And if the sink is wet, my skin resistance goes close to zero and I get
blown to pieces; they'll have to recover my body parts from the
neighbours' gardens.
Let metal sinks float, I say. Far safer.

There is no requirement to earth (or bond) a sink. Its not an extraneous
bit of metalwork - i.e. there is no way it can introduce a potential
into the room.

However it is quite likely earthed indirectly by virtue of being
connected to bonded pipework. (unless all the plumbing is plastic)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Cursitor Doom
scribeth thus
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 07:40:03 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Earthing a metal kitchen sink as they do is a daft idea. Suppose I
accidentally stick my fingers in a live light socket whilst leaning on
the sink with my other hand? What might have been a slight tingle with an
unearthed sink could now easily kill me as I get the full 230V across me.
And if the sink is wet, my skin resistance goes close to zero and I get
blown to pieces; they'll have to recover my body parts from the
neighbours' gardens.
Let metal sinks float, I say. Far safer.

Valid argument that one. I think it was referred to in an IET document a
while ago somewhere....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 14, 2014 7:40:16 AM UTC, Alan wrote:
I have just removed a cupboard in my kitchen. I found a thickish
earth cable just coming out of the plaster but not connected to
anything. I am guessing that it was intended to be some sort of
bonding to the cold water supply which enters near by - but the cable
is just not quite long enough to be connected to the copper water
pipe. There is a junction box near by, which appears to be part of
the ring main - it has a spur going off to a power socket above the
work surface.
Should I extend the earth cable and connect it to the incoming water
supply; should I also connect it to the earth on the ring main, or do
something else, or do nothing.

Sockets & lighting need an earthling in them, kitchen sinks don't.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sockets & lighting need an earthling in them, kitchen sinks [...]

need an alien?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2014 21:50, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Sockets & lighting need an earthling in them, kitchen sinks [...]

need an alien?

Have to be very small ones.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 9:50:29 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Sockets & lighting need an earthling in them, kitchen sinks [...]

need an alien?

a bristly alien

NT

Earthing Toom Tabard[_2_] UK diy 18 August 28th 10 05:52 PM
earthing new kitchen Staffbull UK diy 19 September 17th 06 08:33 PM
Earthing Again [email protected] UK diy 1 January 19th 06 11:38 PM
Earthing a kitchen sink - what size cable? Bert Coules UK diy 57 May 17th 05 09:48 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 17 December 8th 03 10:57 PM