Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - need and inkjet photo printer

Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

Thanks
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 14:12:29 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

Thanks

Given that this will be a dedicated photo printer, it might be a good
idea to look at 8X10 dye sublimation printers.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 14:50, Graham. wrote:

Given that this will be a dedicated photo printer, it might be a good
idea to look at 8X10 dye sublimation printers.

The cost of a print may be more important than absolute quality.

I find it hard to tell the difference between prints made on my fairly
cheap (4 colour) Epson 'photo' printer using compatible ink cartridges
costing around £1.50 per cartridge and prints of the same made by way of
a photo print service.

You can get a inkjet printer and use the manufactures branded paper and
inks and have a guarantee that the prints will not fade for n
months/years. You could use the same printer with cheaper photo paper
and 'compatible' inks at a tenth of the cost but maybe the print will
fade or subtly change colour in half the time. As part as an arts
course prints submitted in a folder and kept out of direct sunlight
maybe will be OK with the cheapest of papers/inks.

Epson have a reputation that the print heads clog up but in my
experience is that if you print a couple of times a week using all
colours the print heads remain reliable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

You can get a inkjet printer and use the manufactures branded paper and
inks and have a guarantee that the prints will not fade for n
months/years. You could use the same printer with cheaper photo paper
and 'compatible' inks at a tenth of the cost but maybe the print will
fade or subtly change colour in half the time. As part as an arts
course prints submitted in a folder and kept out of direct sunlight
maybe will be OK with the cheapest of papers/inks.

Does it matter much if the prints fade as long as you keep the digital
original safely?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 19:30, alan_m wrote:
[...]

My experience suggests that is probably true. However, I didn't print
every week so always found the heads clogged, often uncleanably. I
eventually threw it away and bought a cannon (actually I ended up with
two cannon printers one up to date at the time and one a bit older). It
doesn't seem to matter how long these Cannon printers are left unused
(one is rarely used) they always clean their heads and produce good
photo prints. I use cheap compatibles from 7DayShop.com so am not too
worried about the amount of ink used in cleaning the heads. These are
not network printers and are now out of date but I will buy Cannon again
when I need a new printer.

--

Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Old Codger" wrote in message
[...]

I get the same result with my Canon printers.

I use cheap compatibles from 7DayShop.com so am not too worried about the
amount of ink used in cleaning the heads.

Me too on that as well.

These are not network printers and are now out of date

I deliberately bought the last of the chipless Canon
printers, the ip3000 and got another at a garage sale.

Just recently the electronics died in the original one
so I swapped to the one I got at the garage sale.

Haven't checked yet if the original is easy to fix.

but I will buy Cannon again when I need a new printer.

Yeah, me too for that reason alone. I very rarely print,
and mostly for other people, so can go a very long time
between prints and need one that doesn’t clog when used
that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 19:30, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2014 14:50, Graham. wrote:

Given that this will be a dedicated photo printer, it might be a good
idea to look at 8X10 dye sublimation printers.

The cost of a print may be more important than absolute quality.

I find it hard to tell the difference between prints made on my fairly
cheap (4 colour) Epson 'photo' printer using compatible ink cartridges
costing around £1.50 per cartridge and prints of the same made by way of
a photo print service.

You can get a inkjet printer and use the manufactures branded paper and
inks and have a guarantee that the prints will not fade for n
months/years. You could use the same printer with cheaper photo paper

Only if you keep them in the dark. I have used both OEM inks and clone
inks at various times and there is visible fading after about two weeks
outside in sunlight under Perspex or a month under window glass.

Magenta fades first followed by yellow. The cyan image survives almost
indefinitely - it is all that is left on a 10 year old print.

and 'compatible' inks at a tenth of the cost but maybe the print will
fade or subtly change colour in half the time. As part as an arts
course prints submitted in a folder and kept out of direct sunlight
maybe will be OK with the cheapest of papers/inks.

It is certainly true that clone inks are not as accurately calibrated
nor as stable. But you can test the photo stability by putting a print
on a S facing windowsill and monitoring it.

Epson have a reputation that the print heads clog up but in my
experience is that if you print a couple of times a week using all
colours the print heads remain reliable.

My Canon has never clogged with intermittent use (but then neither did
my Epson before it). Choice media and clone inks to match is key to
keeping the running costs down. I think Canon does have a slightly
better reputation for print heads staying clean.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:30:15 PM UTC, alan_m wrote:
As part as an arts
course prints submitted in a folder and kept out of direct sunlight
maybe will be OK with the cheapest of papers/inks.

It may be worth checking with the institution.

I've known people desperately trying to find a laser printer on the afternoon of submission day having just realised that the university would not accept inkjet-printed theses.

I have laser-printed photos (A4 size) framed behind glass (included fake monochrome and sepia effect) and people don't realise or don't believe they're laser prints. I don't know if that's good enough for an art degree though.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

Thanks

Given that this will be a dedicated photo printer, it might be a good
idea to look at 8X10 dye sublimation printers.

A quick search doesn't seem to turn up anything much, other than things
like the little Canon Selphy, expensive to run and only 6x4 or expensive
(multiple x £100's) things
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 19:28, Chris French wrote:
In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

[...]

I have a Selphy CP-510 that I've had for a long time. Still can get
consumables and the 6x4 quality is excellent. It's not quick mind. I
tend to use it for photo montages for gifts, and for prints to go in my
shoe box of physical archive prints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It makes no sense to do that last anymore. Makes a
lot more sense to have another digital backup or two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 14:12, Chris French wrote:
Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

As a general rule, the more ink colours, the better the print quality. I
would consider six colours to be the minimum for a dedicated photo
printer, but more will be better. Assuming it will get fairly regular
use, I would go for an Epson printer, as you can get good compatible
cartridges (I recommend G&G, which I imported when I was in the
business) at a reasonable price.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
[...]

Thanks, wondering how I would identify the make of cartridge when buying
though, as that tends not to be given.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 11:55, Chris French wrote:
[...]

This is the business I sold. SFAIK, Martin is still buying from G&G, but
you could always telephone and ask him.

http://www.ink4print.co.uk/

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks Colin,

A quick perusal of the site and it seems they do still supply them.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

Thanks

Im biased as i have 4 Canon printers and never had a printhead clog
the Canon Pixma pro 100 is what i would be looking to buy if i had to get a
new photo printer
or a Pixma IP7250 if the pro is more then you want to pay.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 23:59, Mark wrote:
Im biased as i have 4 Canon printers and never had a printhead clog...

I've had about a dozen Epson printers and never had a print head clog.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 10, 2014 12:07:21 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2014 23:59, Mark wrote:
Im biased as i have 4 Canon printers and never had a printhead clog...

I've had about a dozen Epson printers and never had a print head clog.

--
Colin Bignell

My Epson 600 clogged regularly but lasted 10+ years, Epson R200 was six colour that printed in the 10s of thousands of sheets with little cleaning , current Epson WF someat is an over featured pile of plastic crap that can`t keep a nozzle clean for 3 days straight.

Wasn`t a consumer orientated 6 colour Epson at time R200 jammed its last sheet. Mebbe Epson have improved range and quality again in last 18 months.

Epson are piezo head Canon are thermal as far as remember.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mebbe Epson have improved range and quality again in last 18 months.

Gonna have to do somewhat better than this, did someone say Canon , what are current crop of HPs like?

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon...cms/index/1007

Inkjet Printers

Now showing 1 - 0 of 0 products

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message
Mebbe Epson have improved range and quality again in last 18 months.

Gonna have to do somewhat better than this, did someone say Canon , what
are current crop of HPs like?

Hopeless on the cartridges basically and no better than Epson clogging wise.

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon...cms/index/1007

Inkjet Printers

Now showing 1 - 0 of 0 products

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 November 2014 00:07:21 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 09/11/2014 23:59, Mark wrote:
Im biased as i have 4 Canon printers and never had a printhead clog...

I've had about a dozen Epson printers and never had a print head clog.

I've had less than that and they do get clogged. But the utility usually sorts it out but wastes a bit of ink. I find leaving teh printer on, even when I'm not using it for days helps.

I've heard the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 and Epson Stylus Pro 3800 depending on the size print you want and the price are good photo printers perhaps ask on a photo group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 23:59, Mark wrote:
Im biased as i have 4 Canon printers and never had a printhead clog...

I've had about a dozen Epson printers and never had a print head clog.

I've had less than that and they do get clogged. But the utility usually sorts it out but wastes a bit of ink. I find leaving teh printer on, even when I'm not using it for days helps.

My printers generally only get turned off when I'm going on holiday for
a week or more and they get regular use, so fresh ink flows through the
heads most days. They have also never been used in very dry
environments; too dry an atmosphere can encourage the ink to dry out in
the heads.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2014 14:12, Chris French wrote:
Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser
for general printing)

We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or
one of the supermarket automatic machines.

But eldest daughter is doing some photography as part of an art course
and it would be useful to be able to decent prints at home.

How decent do you want them? And at what maximum size.

The hard one is to do neutral monochrome prints and printers that can do
that really well tend to be a lot more expensive.

I last bought an inkjet printer about 15 years ago and have no idea of
what would be a good choice right now? Any recommendations?

I am reasonably pleased with my new A3+ Canon Pixma iX6500 (which I got
to replace my ageing i9000 after it lost its magic smoke last year).

I chose it because it will accept clone inks BC525/6 and if you don't
chose the cheapest and nastiest they seem to work pretty well. Print
quality is about the same as its predecessor.

I realise the whole basis of the economics of inkjet printers, so that
is an issue, but this will only be used for photos so not so much of a
concern as for a general printer.

Only requirement is for a wired network or wifi connection.

Thanks

Some of the combo scanner printer devices that use the same inks are
also not a bad choice for this sort of thing. Basically they will get
you on the consumables if you are not careful so it is worth researching
for ones that will work well on clone inks.

Worth also finding a cheaper glossy or matt paper that is "Good enough"
and sticking with it. The prints might not last as long but the original
Canon papers are only worth using for best.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown