Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building work certification

We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

Oh. A case of "Nobody Knows", per QI?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are probably OK we had a similar situation when we bought our present bungalow which had a conservatory type extension added by the previous owners, which included wall building, glazing, electrics and plumbing. This had a single building regs. compliance certificate and our solicitor was satisfied with that.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nemo
writes
On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

Oh. A case of "Nobody Knows", per QI?

Well AFAIK, no you shouldn't need anything else
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 10:56, nemo wrote:
On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

Oh. A case of "Nobody Knows", per QI?

As long as you've got a copy of the Planning Approval document and the
building regs Completion Certificate, I don't think that there *is* much
else. Presumably the electrics were done by someone who could
self-certify for Part-P, and they supplied evidence of a compliant
installation to the Local Authority before they issued the Completion
Certificate? It may be useful if you've also got a copy of the
electrical certificate - but it shouldn't really be necessary as long as
it's referred to in the Completion Certificate.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 11:56, Roger Mills wrote:
On 10/11/2014 10:56, nemo wrote:
On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your and the others' responses. It sounds like we've enough
to get us by.

I'm still chasing the builder to provide the electrical certificate,
just in case. Electrical work isn't explicitly mentioned in the Final
Certificate - but nor is it excluded. An approved inspection company
issued the Final Certificate, not the Local Authority. The LA planning
dept. isn't interested. The inspection company says the electrician is
responsible. The electrician says he gave it to the builder. The builder
has 'promised' to send it to me at least 5 times now but I am now
wondering why I bother.

I seems to me that the whole process is full of holes. There's no
consistency in the definition of what is required, no process to ensure
requirements are met, no reliable record of outcomes. Site inspections
in our case were laughable[1].

What's the point of having Building Regulations that aren't enforced?

[1] Be-suited man arrives in big Merc, puts on safety hat, walks about
the site for 30 seconds, chats with builder for 30 seconds, buggers off.
Two such visits, couple of letters, Final Certificate, £350+VAT.

BTW: The building firm, electrical contractor and inspector companies
are all very plausible, established businesses, registered with trade
organisations etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 10:56, nemo wrote:
On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
[...]

Not even enough for a half-decent suit nowadays.

BTW: The building firm, electrical contractor and inspector companies
are all very plausible, established businesses, registered with trade
organisations etc.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nemo writes:
On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

Oh. A case of "Nobody Knows", per QI?

I don't think there's a clean answer since it's very common to say
you don't have the certificates a solicitor asks for, and no one
cares.

Providing planning permission was granted the building regs
application covered structural, electrical, heating, insulation,
waste/sewage plumbing, and windows, I can't think what else you need.

The important ones are planning permission and building regs approval
for structure, without which selling could be hard, although a friend
bought a place where the councils had lost all that when boundaries
moved, and it didn't actually matter. The only bit of paperwork which
could be found was Thames Water signing off their approval of building
over a shared sewer.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo writes:

On 08/11/2014 14:34, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

Oh. A case of "Nobody Knows", per QI?

Keep paper copies of *everything*

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 2:34:45 PM UTC, nemo wrote:
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our
home. The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and
double glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and
we've been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building
regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's
solicitor in the case of a future sale of the property?

these days (round here anyway) these things are stored digitally by the council so presumably you can get more copies even if you lose your originals. I would send the electrical certificate to the council tor they can copy it into their system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 15:32, RobertL wrote:
these days (round here anyway) these things are stored digitally by the council so presumably you can get more copies even if you lose your originals. I would send the electrical certificate to the council tor they can copy it into their system.

Here (Cheshire East), they store records of the LA planning dept
activities, but if an approved inspection company is involved they're
not interested.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo writes:

On 10/11/2014 15:32, RobertL wrote:
these days (round here anyway) these things are stored digitally by the council so presumably you can get more copies even if you lose your originals. I would send the electrical certificate to the council tor they can copy it into their system.

Here (Cheshire East), they store records of the LA planning dept
activities, but if an approved inspection company is involved they're
not interested.

After the EMP they may have no records at all.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nemo" wrote in message
We've just had an extension and conversion project completed on our home.
The work involved building, roofing, electrics, plumbing and double
glazing. The project was granted planning approval in advance and we've
been issued a Final Certificate of compliance with building regulations.

Do we need any other certificates etc. to satisfy a purchaser's solicitor
in the case of a future sale of the property?

Similar question I would like to know: How recent does the work have to be
to require certification? Presumably old work of undetermined age is just
subject to survey like the rest of the property.

Tim W