Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler time - or else parts for a Worcester Bosch 280 RSF?

Boiler is dead 8-(

The long-serving Worcester Bosch 280 RSF may have finally shuffled off its Python sketch.

The most minor fault ever - a minor weep on the push-fit O-ring fittings where the diverter valve fits onto the backplate. Normally these are held in place by a couple of stainless (sic) hairpins and just pull off. However a slow leak on one has caused the hairpins to rust in place. As a result, I can't pull them out or remove the valve to fix the seals.

In a sensible world, I would now rip the diverter valve out with a crowbar (destroying the pin housings) and buy a new one. However parts for the 280 are getting scarce and it seems that the last diverter valve has left the building.

We also need a whole new bathroom. This has been needed since we moved in, but tuit shortage...

So, options:
* Easily fix the existing boiler. Not going to happen.
* Fix the boiler by gambling hundreds on the collectible valve dealers of eBay and hope that a valve swap is enough.
* Buy new boiler. Have new boiler installed. In a year or two's time, rip the bathroom to pieces around it. I don't like the idea of that
* Build new bathroom and install new boiler now. Before Christmas.

Of the lot, I'm now inclining to the latter. It gives the best result and the money is there to do it - just a bit lacking on tuits and enthusiasm for a big project. I'm also not working at present, owing to a laser cutting business, the Christmas rush period and an expensive and £4k slow-to-repair blown laser tube (like I care about boilers at the moment! 8-( )

So, my question to the panel is twofold:
* Anyone got a magic bodge-o-fix? Doesn't have to last forever.
* If I buy a new boiler, what's the best? Efficient, capable, RELIABLE.

The house is a 3 storey Victorian with two of us. Not moving anytime soon. No water storage (hot or cold). Electric shower and staying that way. Pitiful insulation. Heating is currently '70s-'80s (?) microbore. Bathroom needs to support a Giant Copper Bathtub (we already have this - looks like something from a brewery). Kitchen is mostly coldwater feed as it's out the back and takes ages for the water to run hot down there. At some future point the rebuilt megakitchen might get a nice wooodburner, but it's just too much plumbing to face integrating that to the main water space heating.

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Location is wall-hung on an inside corner, with balanced flue through the wall to a big flat outside wall. Exhaust is easy, although there's nowhere sensible for a condensate drain, so dumping that internally into toilet cisterns etc. might be the best option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
[...]

A plumber told me that about 3 years ago he went to a very old sectional
boiler in a church. Seems that one of the section seals on the boiler was
leaking.
He poured some leak fix stuff in and the leak stopped. Maybe worth a
Goggle??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

Boiler is dead 8-(

The long-serving Worcester Bosch 280 RSF may have finally shuffled off its
Python sketch.
. However parts for the 280
are getting scarce and it seems that the last diverter valve has left the
building.

these lists one worth an call/email
unless you have already

http://www.heatingsparescentre.co.uk...80-rsf-boiler-
c3307/worcester-280-rsf-plug-in-diverter-valve-87161424210-superseeds-
zamaj118-p22574

http://www.onlineboilerspares.com/WO...LVE87161424210

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hey Andy, long time no see!

On 07/11/2014 16:23, Andy Dingley wrote:

So, options: * Easily fix the existing boiler. Not going to happen. *
Fix the boiler by gambling hundreds on the collectible valve dealers
of eBay and hope that a valve swap is enough. * Buy new boiler. Have
new boiler installed. In a year or two's time, rip the bathroom to
pieces around it. I don't like the idea of that * Build new
bathroom and install new boiler now. Before Christmas.

Of the lot, I'm now inclining to the latter. It gives the best result
and the money is there to do it - just a bit lacking on tuits and
enthusiasm for a big project.

Yup, I sympathise with that - took a similar plunge about this time a
couple of years back. All I can say is that its worth it in the end!

So, my question to the panel is twofold: * Anyone got a magic
bodge-o-fix? Doesn't have to last forever.

Fernox LS-X applied externally around the leaking bit is probably the
best bodge. (possibly bound with something for support)

* If I buy a new boiler,
what's the best? Efficient, capable, RELIABLE.

WB, Vaillant, & Visseman seem to be the current crop of recommendations.

The house is a 3 storey Victorian with two of us. Not moving anytime
soon. No water storage (hot or cold). Electric shower and staying
that way. Pitiful insulation. Heating is currently '70s-'80s (?)
microbore. Bathroom needs to support a Giant Copper Bathtub (we
already have this - looks like something from a brewery). Kitchen is
mostly coldwater feed as it's out the back and takes ages for the
water to run hot down there. At some future point the rebuilt
megakitchen might get a nice wooodburner, but it's just too much
plumbing to face integrating that to the main water space heating.

So powerful combi - perhaps with a tiny unvented cylinder in the kitchen
somewhere heated from the CH side.

Splitting into separate heating zones might be worthwhile. Weather
compensation with an exterior temp sensor is nice for better comfort
year round and better fuel savings during the "part load" bits of the year.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 16:33, Andy Dingley wrote:

Location is wall-hung on an inside corner, with balanced flue through
the wall to a big flat outside wall. Exhaust is easy, although
there's nowhere sensible for a condensate drain, so dumping that
internally into toilet cisterns etc. might be the best option.

You can get WC connectors with an inlet for a small waste pipe built in.
Ideal for that kind of application since its pretty well guaranteed
never to freeze.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
Location is wall-hung on an inside corner, with balanced flue through the wall to a big flat outside wall. Exhaust is easy, although there's nowhere sensible for a condensate drain, so dumping that internally into toilet cisterns etc. might be the best option.

I like the idea of dumping it into the toilet cistern, particularly if
it internally overflows into the pan (extra volume flush for free) and
also if you're in a hard water area, the mild acidity will counteract
the hard water scale which will help keep the pan cleaner.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 November 2014 05:22:36 UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:
A plumber told me that about 3 years ago he went to a very old sectional
boiler in a church. Seems that one of the section seals on the boiler was
leaking.

Ex-wife's oil boiler failed a while back when I was house sitting.

A cork did it for a week!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just throw a cheapo combi boiler in there and forget about it, I installed a
Biasi in my house six years ago, it cost less than £300 brand new from B&Q
and it's still going, that equates to fifty quid a year up to now and if I
get another year or two out of it, less than £40.

It runs a mixer shower, bath, and two sinks, but obviously not all at the
same time. The CH is a similar set up to yours, 9 old radiators with 10mm
pipe, never flushed properly, and the inhibitor i bought when i put the
boiler in is still on the shelf in my shed.

It was a stopgap thing so I wasn't bothered too much and intended to get a
better quality boiler when funds became available.

The only 'trouble' I've had with is is the condensate freezing up, but this
also happens on boilers costing 3 times as much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Dingley, david walker wrote:
I need a diverter valve for my Worcester 280 part no. 87161424210

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1005432-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Dingley, david walker wrote:
Hi I need need a diverter valve for a Worcester 280rsf part no. 87161424210

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...f-1005432-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2017 21:44, david walker wrote:
replying to Andy Dingley, david walker wrote:
Hi I need need a diverter valve for a Worcester 280rsf part no.
87161424210

The part would appear to be obsolete - you would probably have to try
and find something similar and adjust the pipework) or extend it outside
of the boiler) to make it work. While its form factor is bespoke, the
actual function of it is fairly generic.

--
Cheers,

John.